Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times

Advertisements

yeah that's exactly the sort of thing my friend was telling me. I'll just consider it a hobby and maybe make my own furniture. Its crazy how some fields just perish like that, even in my lifetime. My childhood dreams are no longer modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
A topless car wash.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
1) Find a part time job (in another business not owned by you) doing something that will get you tips at a high end place. Clean up, dress well, or dress in the style your clientele will want (i.e. at the Emerald City Smoothie where I get my MRS's, the girls are all fit and wear tight workout clothes and the guys are all fit-ish and wear jerseys or something, and at a all-organic restaurant near me, all the waiters and waitresses wear formal black clothing and love to chat about organic options).

2) In your spare time, develop applications that people will actually buy. Like an app that connects to the internet to display local tourist destinations, or one that locates your car in a parking lot, or one that Google hasn't infiltrated. Sell it for $1 per download. Or develop an app which caters to the anime and manga crowd.

A 15 year old kid made a cool $25,000 off an app he made.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Want to know what I think?

Buy an old pickup truck with a trailer, a riding lawn mower, some gardening tools, and print up lots of flyers. That way you can start a lawn service.

I'm not kidding you. Mow three yards a day for $100 a pop, with other fees tacked on for ancillary services. Once you have a steady clientele, hire p/t workers while you handle the back-office stuff.

A friend's son does that. Made $20,000 in a summer, and was pretty much done by 2 every afternoon.
I like this idea, it is a cheap business that can provide income and experience operating a small business, both you will need for later ideas. If you could make 20K a summer, which would be awesome, then thats a 100% return on your investment (if you could keep the cost under 20K). A similar idea that i have been considering was building fountains for peoples landscape. I am about to try to do my own, total cost is $150 bucks, and if i paid someone it would cost at least $600 bucks for a similar one. I am considering doing this as a part-time job, depending on how my own fountain turns out.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Buy a used van and source 50 small 5000W generators and a bunch of gas cans and extension cords and follow the weather related power failures around the country driving back every week to load up on more generators which you will sell for a profit of $250 each. Paint "NEW GENERATORS $500" on the side of your van. Be sure to have a gun on you or nearby.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,803,196 times
Give it to the Gov't. They need to cut the deficit. JK.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Buy a used van and source 50 small 5000W generators and a bunch of gas cans and extension cords and follow the weather related power failures around the country driving back every week to load up on more generators which you will sell for a profit of $250 each. Paint "NEW GENERATORS $500" on the side of your van. Be sure to have a gun on you or nearby.
I like that idea. I won't feel bad going to the more afluent areas of the disaster and asking a nice cost. When there are disasters, do they typically sell out at the store or what? Would this work better in urban areas or rural?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,362 times
Create a videogame company to make the best first person shooters ever. lol

I'm bored of Call of Duty being the only company creating online shooters. I want to combat the company's Infinity ward and Treyarch and show them that they can't overrule all the other company's. I know their past 3 games could've been a lot better.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:03 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Want to know what I think?

Buy an old pickup truck with a trailer, a riding lawn mower, some gardening tools, and print up lots of flyers. That way you can start a lawn service.

I'm not kidding you. Mow three yards a day for $100 a pop, with other fees tacked on for ancillary services. Once you have a steady clientele, hire p/t workers while you handle the back-office stuff.

A friend's son does that. Made $20,000 in a summer, and was pretty much done by 2 every afternoon.
This is what I was going to say...

In the winter get into snowplowing... with a truck or a blade on a quad runner, even a small tractor. Lot of money to be made there especially if you can get contracts with churches, stores, parking lots, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I like that idea. I won't feel bad going to the more afluent areas of the disaster and asking a nice cost. When there are disasters, do they typically sell out at the store or what? Would this work better in urban areas or rural?
Actually, the buyers will be contractors and workers who are being paid by insurance companies to secure the property. For the most part.

All the local stores sell out even before trouble hits. The inventory disappears in a widening radius over hours not days.

Yes, the less nearby large population centers the lower the inventory available.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business