Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times

Advertisements

I've been working as a contractor for about 3 years. I've decided to take a more agressive stance now to build my client list and market myself.

I can do this as an independent contractor since a lot of my clients will come through people I already know or work with. But I could also open an LLC, a website and business cards to really get out there in general.

What would be negatives to opening an LLC, as a sole person, no employees? Does it matter compared to being a contractor? I mean I could still do a website and business cards (I think) without forming an LLC.

Has anyone been through this and know advantages and disadvantages?

Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I think you have being a "contractor "confused with something else?

A contractor can do business with a DBA, LLC, CO. or an Inc
just depends how you want your business set as.

I went with a LLC.

So you were doing business as ?

Just using your name?
Did, do you pay taxes?
How were you conducting business?

If your starting a business or are getting serious about it set up a LLC. and separate your business from your personal assets.

Around here you will need a contractors LIC and your LLC.
don't for get to get some liability insurance for your business also.

good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM

I worked as an idependent contractor to a company, they provided me a 1099 and I paid estimated taxes... that kind of contractor.... :-)

So, how would that differ from and LLC?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
A sole member LLC is a "disregarded entity" for IRS purposes. It files no tax returns. you pay your taxes as though it did not exist. But, it gives you some limited liability from claims of third parties and is therefore essential to any business activity. Anyone who conducts business activity in their own name without a limited liability company is a moron. Don't even think about it. Get on the Secretary of State's web site where you can get all the forms and pay your $125 or whatever it is where you are and move on. Open a bank account in the LLC name, put it on your business cards and invoices and you are good to go.

Seriously, this is not even a question. I could parade the horribles for you of not using an LLC, but why. Just do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Wilson hit the nail on the head.

A business issued a 1099 this means that you were not an employee and you were hired to perform a service.
you paid your taxes.

Like building an addition to plowing snow is something a business would contract for.

What happens if your addition collapses and hurts someone or if your plowing and you hit someone or have a slip-fall.

With out a LLC they can come after your home and everything you have. A LLC will help shelter your assets from your business assets.

In most states you can file for a LLC on line, you don't need a lawyer to answer any of the questions. Well you might if you don't know your name or address.

A tip don't use your S.S. # get a EIN#

A site that is helpful to a lot of start ups is .

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Excellent! The kind of work I do would rarely cause a lawsuit of sorts. But considering how litigious our society has become over the years, I suppose you can never be too secure.

I will look at those sites and set up an LLC then. Thanks! :-)

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM

That's all well and good but even a book keeper, carpet cleaner etc etc can be sued.
It doesn't have to be an injury you can be sued for many things or reasons.

Take a look at your exposure and talk with your INS agent.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Yep, will do... thanks again to both of you for your perspectives. Really appreciated!

Now, on to get this set up and grow the business.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
An LLC can reduce some exposure to liability, but not all. If you set up an LLC, one of the best ways to help maintain the "limited liability" is to always present yourself as a representative of a company. So you sign emails, contracts, documents, etc. as
Liloulou, President, My Little Business

This helps prevent the argument that the customer thought they were doing business with you, not just the LLC. (Got this advice from a lawyer that work on these types of issues.)

Also, some states have a minimum "franchise tax" even for LLCs. CA is $800 per year, on top of whatever else you might pay. Make sure it's worth it where you are. $800 per year can buy a nice insurance policy for most businesses.

As an LLC, you can elect to pay your taxes as a Sole Proprietor, just like you do now with your 1099, or you can elect to pay taxes as a corporation. When you would choose which option is a discussion for a CPA that's really qualified on the tax nuances of small businesses. And most CPAs I've met are NOT qualified to do this.

A great book to read when considering LLC or Inc is "Lower Your Taxes Big Time", which is written by a former IRS lawyer. It helps define all these options and how they work...but still get advice from a great CPA>

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post

As an LLC, you can elect to pay your taxes as a Sole Proprietor, just like you do now with your 1099, or you can elect to pay taxes as a corporation. When you would choose which option is a discussion for a CPA that's really qualified on the tax nuances of small businesses. And most CPAs I've met are NOT qualified to do this.
Just to add onto this a little. It's best to elect LLC in a state that allows you to elect parternship status (this assumes you have a significan other, family member, or someone trustworthy you can share 1% of the company with). This way, you can take salary, and profits. No double-taxation of corporations and great tax benefits.

This should give you a shelter of about $212K before you start paying any significant taxes.

** I am not a CPA, or a Lawyer. I am just a business owner and this is not advice. **
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business