U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 AM

570 posts, read 806,445 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking about the days not too long ago when I was in COLLEGE!!!

College is the best days of many people's lives. It's the time when people are transitioning from hardly no responsibility to the real world. The time when people do not know how to handle the freedom they are given being on their own and doing WHATEVER they want! Their is liquor, there is beer, there are parties, there is PURE FUN and EXCITEMENT!

In our world today, there are thousands and thousands of single people, males and females, between the ages of 23 and 53 who want to literally RELIVE those days. Thousands and thousands of people who are alright to very well off financially that want to RELIVE those fantastic experiences again or for the very first time!

My idea is simple at heart, but difficult at implementing.

My idea is too create a University. A real University.. one in which scholarships are given to 18-53 year olds, not based solely on their academic record or extracurricular activities.. but based on personality and enthusiasm for living life like it were a PARTY, with some very moderate responsibility.

In order for this to work just right, while advancing the education of those attending, their will be classes. None of them will be mandatory attendance like so many high school-esque universities now a days. Except for test days of course.

It will need to be in a rural town. There will be dorms to be built and apartment complexes to be constructed and campuses to be created and professors to be hired. The bars and liquor stores will come about due to money to be made and good times to be had.

It will be a real reality world in which people can all come together for one purpose. To live the real US of A college experience!!!

We already know of course, there are many wealthy single men and women that could only dream of such an elegant and glorious experience. I ask before you, this 8th day of April- WHO among you is willing to start my idea, in which you might just possibly- become a "BILLIONAIRE"!

Last edited by 1bright_future; 04-09-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 AM

16,254 posts, read 28,128,464 times
How do you propose to have this make money? I know of a lot of people that may like your idea and the best part of it is that they allready have schools that they can attend now. I bet most of those schools allready have a party scene happening at them.

Lots of simple ideas but unless you can show how to move from concept to completion it is just a cool idea. A business plan is your next step. If you can put this on paper and show how to get it from your head into a real life working business then you have a concept that will work. If you can connect most of the dots and a few will take someone else to help you connect but with their help it is possible then you may have a good idea. If you can not connect the dots and no one else can help you connect the dots then it is an idea best to walk away from. Personally I don't see it because it is possible to do what you are proposing at most of the schools in the nation.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,195,574 times
This is obviusly a troll post trying to be silly and incinuating that this is what college is.

The said thing is he's absolutely right. With the exception of a small percentage of schools every state has 3-4 public universities in small college towns. Classes are generally not mandatory, grade is based on 3 exams which you can normally purchase the answers to or read a study guide on so really no learning is taking place.

It's all about fun, party time, etc.

I went to a state school and finished up my last year maybe year and a half at a smaller private religious school. I had my fun at state school came back got serious and finsihed up.

It's amazing how much more challenign the small private school was. Work was more difficult but more so it was just you actually had work to do and were accountable for your week. I wrote several papers per week in addition to writing 1-4 bigger longer papers for the course. We had tests nad had to study.

State school was a joke, I'd normally attend 3-5 classes per semester for each class. Could normally buy the test or answers to the test. If nothing else the teacher often will give you a study guide that has everything you need to study so the whole sitting through 15 weeks of classes isn't really necessary.

Your idea is invented it's called college.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Btw, in addditjion to what a joke college is these days I believe the OP was also commenting on how education is nothing but a for profit business these days.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM

34 posts, read 42,717 times
The responses are interesting so far: one very serious response emphasizing the need for a business plan, one response that the original post is a satire on "real" college, where so many people waste time and pay a lot of money to do so!

My first response was to just type "hahahhahhahhhahahahahhaa!!" because I thought the OP was making a joke.

Perhaps there is more to OP's intent than I thought.

Since there are people who think that college was the best time of their lives because of unfettered partying, I suppose one could base an amusement park on "college days".

Maybe some people think that college days were the best time of their lives because they were so young at the time, or because they felt like they had so many possibilities ahead of them, without families, or mortgages, etc.

As for the billion dollars, unless it was a breakaway success as an amusement park, it might be relevant to remember that most universities depend on contributions, massive contributions, to stay afloat, even with high tuition fees coming in.

Good luck with your Bright Idea, Bright Future.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willikers View Post
The responses are interesting so far: one very serious response emphasizing the need for a business plan, one response that the original post is a satire on "real" college, where so many people waste time and pay a lot of money to do so!

My first response was to just type "hahahhahhahhhahahahahhaa!!" because I thought the OP was making a joke.

Since there are people who think that college was the best time of their lives because of unfettered partying, I suppose one could base an amusement park on "college days".

Maybe some people think that college days were the best time of their lives because they were so young at the time, or because they felt like they had so many possibilities ahead of them, without families, or mortgages, etc.

As for the billion dollars, unless it was a breakaway success as an amusement park, it might be relevant to remember that most universities depend on contributions, massive contributions, to stay afloat, even with high tuition fees coming in.

Maybe I need to read the ops post closer, I didnt take the recreating amusement park type idea out of it but thats funny becuse I have thought the very same thing before...lol.

Honestly though you can't recreate college. If you want a party type scene there are resorts like hedonism in Jamaica and other places that are no holds barred anything goes colelge type partying places but its still not the same.

You can't recreate college for a vareity of factors. You can go to this "resort" for a week but part of the beauty in college is knowing you have no responsibility for the next several weeks, months, maybe years.

In college your younger so can drink more, party more, stay up later.

Your new to the party scene, drinking, being away from home, responsibility so its all so much mroe exciting.

College towns are small towns pretty much dominated by people not from the town so its almost not like real life. I used to joke college isnt the real world being in a college town is like some alternate universe. Things happen there and are acceptable there that woudln't be anywhere else.

Cool idea but college cant be recreated unless you win the lottery

Old 04-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willikers View Post

Sorry you are totally correct about the OP's intent. I guess I was skimming and took it as sattire.

It is a cool idea, its probably could be paid for with companies wanting their brands invovled and sponsorships and such.

Like I said thoug, you can't recreate college. I think part of college is your young, nieve, you think dumb things are fun, etc, etc, etc. As you get older you get a littel jaded probably dont want to share a room, stay up for 3 days straight, not as easygoing, etc. on top of the fact tht part of college isnt giong back to your job and responsibilities after the weeknd

Old 04-17-2011, 03:51 PM

130 posts, read 517,838 times
I think people need to be able to have fun without needing other people to give them permission and structure it for them.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,917,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Btw, in addditjion to what a joke college is these days I believe the OP was also commenting on how education is nothing but a for profit business these days.
which is true when you break it down.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM

14,583 posts, read 11,608,883 times
wow... This is a laughably bad idea - perhaps the worst I have ever read on here. I can only assume that this was not intended seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or