Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

"We're seeing core consumers under a lot of pressure," Duke said at an event in New York. "There's no doubt that rising fuel prices are having an impact."

Wal-Mart shoppers running out of money - Apr. 27, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Thats BS. Wal-Mart (due to declining business and inability to force vendors for cheap prices) raised some prices to where they were now equal to their competitors. That means they are no long the low price leader. You can see this in their ads that talk about "matching" other prices. MATCHING??? I thought they claimed to always have the lowest prices. Guess NOT!

So WM puts out all sorts of excuses for declining business and saying its due to gas prices (partially correct but that goes for all businesses) when their competitors are seeing increases. WM is not gaining and competitiors sales are rising, Hey WalMart it's not the gas prices it's YOUR prices.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Thats BS. Wal-Mart (due to declining business and inability to force vendors for cheap prices) raised some prices to where they were now equal to their competitors. That means they are no long the low price leader. You can see this in their ads that talk about "matching" other prices. MATCHING??? I thought they claimed to always have the lowest prices. Guess NOT!s.
Not that I really wish to particularly defend walmart, but it's nothing new that walmart will seek parity with the competition and then try to find ways to strategically undercut them - but it's impossible for a global corporation of that size to always be the lowest in every single product across every single ever-changing market. That's why the have a guarantee to meet lower pricesfrom other stores- which, by the way, many businesses do. There's really nothing new here - walmart doesn't give discounts out of charity.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You can see this in their ads that talk about "matching" other prices.
Internet price comparing is a big thing now. So, Walmart has a genius working for or with them that said "Let the customer price shop. Then we'll match the lowest price. That way we cut costs on research and analysis for pricing strategy, by letting the consumer do it for us."

I think its a great idea for Walmart. It's an even better idea for consumers if it eliminates the stores all having their own "model" of thousands of products that are virtually the exact same items.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:03 PM

25,946 posts, read 22,098,104 times
The last time gas prices went up, Wal-Mart prices went way up. Gas prices went down, Wal-Mart prices did not go down. Between sales items at the other 2 grocery stores in town and Amazon and a couple other online retailers, we are buying about 75% less from Wal-Mart.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Internet price comparing is a big thing now. So, Walmart has a genius working for or with them that said "Let the customer price shop. Then we'll match the lowest price. That way we cut costs on research and analysis for pricing strategy, by letting the consumer do it for us."

I think its a great idea for Walmart. It's an even better idea for consumers if it eliminates the stores all having their own "model" of thousands of products that are virtually the exact same items.
but if they really want me to go to them, they would need to beat the price not just match it. i guess it depends on how much more convenient it is to go to walmart than some place else, but for me walmart isnt the closest so if i find a place with a better price, ill probably go to that place instead.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
NO **** SHERLOCK!!!! And **** Wal-Mart.

The CPI index is bullcrap, inflation is over 10% right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business