U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,592 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion about this issue?
Facebook is pronounced as a no1 "productivity killer" and that fact is a good reason for me to block it in my company. Facebook is not used in business purpose so I think that would be good to block it. What is your experience with it and how did you do it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 AM

7,688 posts, read 26,609,642 times
Do you feel you can trust your workforce to control themselves? Professionals like to have something to keep them occupied during downtimes. Even if you block internet access, they still may not have anything to do. If you notice that people are procrastinating on their work to mess around on Facebook, that's a different scenario. But even in this case, it may be better to call a meeting to make your policy clear than to simply come down with the axe without any warning. If you're having productivity problems, there are better ways to deal with them.

Of course, if your employees are call center flunkies, that's a different story.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,646,355 times
Whether you completely block it or limit its access (which will depend on your business, culture etc.), you should look into establishing a social media policy first. At the very minimum, it should provide guidelines on what they should / should-not do on these sites from the office - and even away from the office (i.e. "do not post anything that can be perceived as an official company statement"). This would absolutely be necessary if the company has a presence on social media.

And as with any new policy - you should educate/communicate your staff.

I'm sure we've all heard the story of the waitress from the pizza place that insulted one of her customers on facebook. That posting led to her dismissal because the company had a social media policy which prohibited such behavior.

As an Information Security Professional, there are also security/risk management reasons to block (or at leaset partially block) these sites. There are new controls out there that can allow the basic services (reading walls, posting etc.) and block the games. You may want to talk to your IT dept about their thoughts too.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 AM

31,168 posts, read 68,009,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Whether you completely block it or limit its access (which will depend on your business, culture etc.), you should look into establishing a social media policy first.
this is a good point as the larger question is not a new one...
nor is it going away anytime soon.

FYI: I'm on the side of no w/r/t allowing any "social media". Any.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,335,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
Facebook is not used in business purpose so I think that would be good to block it.
Since you don't use facebook for any business purpose then employees should not be using it during work hours.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 AM

28,461 posts, read 75,149,554 times
I dunno. Think back to the days before interwebs. If some gold bricker set at desk all day doing crossword puzzles and reading horoscope would you ban newspapers? If some good employees read the business section of a newspaper and get ideas for new business / selling opportunity isn't conceivable that an appropriate amount of interconnectedness might also be used to promote business / determine trends via Facebook?

Set guidelines and hand out discipline to those who abuse, it is more upfront work than a block, but ought to lead to a better workplace for those who can see how to benefit...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM

402 posts, read 1,303,780 times
Exclamation Block it at work--period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
What is your opinion about this issue?
Facebook is pronounced as a no1 "productivity killer" and that fact is a good reason for me to block it in my company. Facebook is not used in business purpose so I think that would be good to block it. What is your experience with it and how did you do it?

BLOCK IT at WORK and at SCHOOL. It is a social interaction site for person use in your off-time.

MANY people that I know waste time on facebook while they are being paid to work. That is just dishonest.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,218,493 times
If your going to do something like this do it across the board, ban youtube, bejeweled, etc, etc, etc. I personally dont use facebook but there's many other time wasters out there.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 AM

40,255 posts, read 49,770,923 times
My company blocks all social networking. I also think its a huge time waster.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,838,703 times
I agree it's a time waste. But rather than block social media you should monitor and measure the results of your employees. Reward the ones that are productive. Get rid of the ones that are not. Sometimes after a few hours of nose to the grindstone, it's nice to take a little break and catch up on family/friends. And the non-productive employees will replace Facebook with b*i*tching to the other non-productive employees about your new policy.

BTW - the above suggestion will make sure you have good, measurable job descriptions and goals set up for your employees and a process to track their progress against them. That can't do anything but help your business and make sure you have documentation as to why you let the non-performer go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business