Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,972 times

Advertisements

I don't use social networking. I prefer message boards such as this. Maybe it's kind of a generation thing in general because I don't feel like broadcasting so much about myself on a profile for the world to see like today's youth is more comfortable doing, just putting my anonymous opinions here instead. As a retired stripper, I had my share of real life stalkers following me home or recognizing me out on errands and calling out my stage name, and am glad to no longer have to worry about that, but I've seen young ladies and teens in sexy suggestive poses on Myspace and can only imagine that they get their own share of stalkers.
However, if I were to ever go into business for myself, I think Facebook could be a great marketing tool.

Last edited by temazepam; 06-07-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekm View Post
I don't use facebook for anything personal. It just makes me uncomfortable. I know these days it is a necessary evil for business, especially if you are online. Twitter too. But their motives make me uneasy. And, I am reading more and more that I am justified in my feelings. Here is one I just read, and it has been in the news too. Anyone else not on facebook?
Is Michael Arrington Naive When it Comes to Facebook? | Bisirk (http://bisirk.com/2011/05/25/is-michael-arrington-naive-when-it-comes-to-facebook/ - broken link)
I don't do facebook or twitter for basically the same reason. I don't really think the Man is mining them to decide which FEMA camp to put me in or anything like that, but I'm sure the information is being collected to sell for advertising.

We're probably there already but if not it won't be long before a mention on facebook of the cold your have will magically bring Advil and Nyquil advertisements to interrupt your web surfing, or a baby announcement fills your mailbox with formula and diaper ads, or even more complicated connections drawn and resulting ads "presented" to you. They don't make those websites (or even this one, for that matter) just as a public service...

YouTube - ‪Alice Cooper - Nothing's Free‬‏

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
I use it now because I moved 1200 miles away from my family and friends about three years ago. It helps me keep in touch with EVERYBODY, though I still call my parents and close friends on a regular basis. If I was still back home, I probably wouldn't use it much. I think as more people relocate across country to find work, it can be more useful. As far as privacy, you can do a pretty good job of locking up your profile to the general public. The government, OTOH, has their hand in everything, so I would still be hesitant to share too much personal info on that site.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,040 times
Facebook is of the Devil.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't do facebook or twitter for basically the same reason. I don't really think the Man is mining them to decide which FEMA camp to put me in or anything like that, but I'm sure the information is being collected to sell for advertising.

We're probably there already but if not it won't be long before a mention on facebook of the cold your have will magically bring Advil and Nyquil advertisements to interrupt your web surfing, or a baby announcement fills your mailbox with formula and diaper ads, or even more complicated connections drawn and resulting ads "presented" to you. They don't make those websites (or even this one, for that matter) just as a public service...
About 1/2 year ago, I moved to a different state, and even though I'm not on social networking, and didn't change my location info on my email account or any others and didn't sign up for anything special online, I've gotten 'stalked' with local ads in my new city. Before moving here, I always got 'stalked' with Groupon ads (never signed up there or even went to their site) and also ads for dating sites showing pictures of hot young women allegedly living in my old city, which was odd because it was a retirement village and nobody that young or hot lived there at all.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
No way. I learned my lesson way back in the days of text-based newsgroups. I had to actually request my posts be removed from one! I learned the benefit of "anonymity." I'm not PC enough to let my real identity be known. I'm also a software developer and I know that none of the information is secure. SOMEBODY you don't know has access to all your pictures, location etc. Let's just hope the 15 year old with a superiority complex from Harvard (?) plans to keep it all secure for you. Riiight.

About 70% of my friends and relatives are on Facebook. Shame. I won't join because my life is nobody's business LOL and I don't like that creepy little Zuckerberg kid who is running the company(?).

I mean, how do they even make money? I don't know because I won't join, but it either has to be advertising or selling demographic information to people...either way, I'd rather not be involved.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
I liked MYSpace the best, but now its been overrun by Facebook. All my old friends have gone off the page, and abandoned the site!..... Facebook is just not the same. City-data is much more like the old Myspace.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM

119 posts, read 233,106 times
What I cannot stand are friends and family who make me feel bad for not being on Facebook. "You're not on Facebook?!?!" "Why aren't you on Facebook?!?!" "Oh, you haven't heard from XYZ, they're always on FB!" I'm constantly made to feel like the blacksheep because I refuse to get on yet another social networking site. If I cannot reach you by phone/txt, email or snail mail then I guess I'm not getting in contact with you, oh well.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
What I cannot stand are friends and family who make me feel bad for not being on Facebook. "You're not on Facebook?!?!" "Why aren't you on Facebook?!?!" "Oh, you haven't heard from XYZ, they're always on FB!" I'm constantly made to feel like the blacksheep because I refuse to get on yet another social networking site. If I cannot reach you by phone/txt, email or snail mail then I guess I'm not getting in contact with you, oh well.
I get that also. Who knows though, in one year or five years facebook might be old news. Everyone will be on something else.

I've realized if you follow the masses with most products or services, they usually don't go with the better ones. I think of quite a few products that people consider "the best" and are nothing special. That is facebook in some ways...just another popularity thing for some people.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I liked MYSpace the best, but now its been overrun by Facebook. All my old friends have gone off the page, and abandoned the site!..... Facebook is just not the same. City-data is much more like the old Myspace.
I always felt that MySpace was a tacky site, even more so with all the glitter gifs that plagued the profiles. My account used to get hacked on a monthly basis near the end. Facebook started out well, only including university students and faculty. When it opened up to the public, that's when I started seeing a lot more spamming and phishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business