Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM

45 posts, read 99,098 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of joining an MLM

But before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience with them before, or other MLM companies? I am new to this type of business, and I really don't have experience in direct selling. Also, their start-up cost is about 500 dollars for overhead and rep support , is that normal practice? Thanks to any who reply, I will be going to visit one of the ACN independent representatives about this offer this following week.

Last edited by vter; 07-22-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
A total dead end. You will not make any money. The only people who make money on MLM are the ones who start the MLM.

What's more, if you pursue it aggressively enough, you will alienate your friends, family, and acquaintances.

So you'll go to this meeting, and you'll hear a bunch of rah-rah baloney. You'll see testimonials of people who made this program work, while standing in front of their waterfront mansion and Mercedes Benz.

The hell of it is, if people who do MLM would just pursue their own freelance business with the same level of doggedness, they'd make a good deal more money on their own.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
MLMs are pyramid schemes lite. As CPG points out, the main benefit is the patn tuckus. Product lines can be as much a detriment as a plus. When I think Amway, I think "RUN AWAY!!!"

Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Don't waste your time, especially if you don't have any prior sales experience. Most MLMs are a joke, and the ones that aren't will only make you money if you work them full time plus and are extremely dedicated.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter27 View Post
Im thinking of joining an MLM, specifically, ACN Inc. ACN U.S. Direct Selling MLM Company, Network Marketing Business Opportunity

But before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience with them before, or other MLM companies? I am new to this type of business, and I really don't have experience in direct selling. Also, their start-up cost is about 500 dollars for overhead and rep support , is that normal practice? Thanks to any who reply, I will be going to visit one of the ACN independent representatives about this offer this following week.
99% of people its a losing proposition, losing money, waste of time. 1% of people actually do well.

People who do well are people who have a huge rolodex. Maybe someone in insurance sales, realtor,etc.

I do agree thoguh that you alienate friends and family as that's who your hitting up suckering in and the money you are making is money they are losing in fees to the program.

My buddy is into world ventures travel program. Its a rip like the rest of them. He is making some money. They recently took away the ability to make money through booking travel so the only way you make money is by bringing peopel in.

I have a problem with any business who's main business is not the industry they are in such as his with travel but bringing new people into the business .my buddy works for a travel company but he can't make money off people booking travel or travel referrals. only other peoples joining dues and fees. Can you say pyramid scheme?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
There are people who make money doing that. You have to remember what your business is and it isn't product sales- it is recruitment of people under you.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
MLMs are pyramid schemes lite. As CPG points out, the main benefit is the patn tuckus. Product lines can be as much a detriment as a plus. When I think Amway, I think "RUN AWAY!!!"
It's not pyramid scheme lite; it is a pyramid scheme!

Unless you're in super early, there's no way to make money. As others have said, the only way to make money is to have people under you. So suppose you have 100 people under you. They each have 100 under them (10000 so far), and each of them has 100 (1000000). So at 3 levels deep, you're at a million people. Another level or two, and it would take the entire population of the USA to be reps to make money.

Of course they'll tell you something like some people will fail, but not you. Why not you though? What makes you special?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 45,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter27 View Post
Im thinking of joining an MLM, specifically, ACN Inc. ACN U.S. Direct Selling MLM Company, Network Marketing Business Opportunity

There are some major drawbacks to MLM Companies.
1. Typically 1 to 2 products - this limits the number of customers interested
2. Many times overpriced - most of the money goes to those in the top position of the company
3. Customer re-order rate is low.
4. Large investments to start up - many times hundreds of dollars or more
5. Large investments in inventory & training material (encouraged to purchased extra product to meet monthly sales goals & trained to hand out cd's to anyone you meet)
6. The first guy in wins - many times advertised as "ground floor opp.)
7. Companies usually last 5-6 years before they fad into MLM "Graveyard"

On the other side is Consumer Direct Marketing:
1. No inventory investment - just buy what you personally need
2. Product focused - not a company who wants you to enroll large numbers of distributors who also enroll other distributors. You want customers who shop and actually use your products.
3. A company with a high reorder rate - this comes from having products which are used everyday in homes at reasonable prices.
4. Customers can place orders directly with company & company collects money and delivers direct to customer. Company sends you your commission check.
4. A company with "No Risk" - you can get you start up cost back within a reasonable amount of time. You should be able to take the company for a test drive.
5. A company which has scientifically backed products. No HYPe or exaggerated claims
6. A company which has been in business for more than 5 years and is willing to share with you annual income statistics.

There are lots of companies out there. Do your homework and ask lots of questions. Make sure that you are going to get training and support when you need it. If you do not feel comfortable with the person you are talking with, walk away. You can always come back to them, but don't be pressured to make any quick decisions.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
When looking at a MLM company something to consider is this. If you had to could you make a livable income just from personal sales of the product or service.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,276 times
waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business