Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,437 times

Advertisements

About the money,the more the better, I think. However true happy does none with money. Happy is a state of mind. So many people who have much money are not happy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
"Happy" is hard to define. Are we talking being a little happy? Very happy? Happy all the time?

As long as I had a roof over my head,food on the table and my family with me I would always be at some level of happy. Does driving a nice car and having a good TV make me happier? Sure. And of course you need money for those things. But they are not the difference between happy and not happy.
Just the minimum annual salary to be happy.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You have a lot more buying power with that salary in Texas then CA.
... But I won't deny that Texas is cheaper:

Want to Live Cheaply? Head to Texas - BusinessWeek

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Texas is the place for high income, low cost of liviing.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Left Cali back in 2003. Best move ever.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Freedom.

Of course I would work to earn as much as possible, the point is that when you are an "employee" you are never in control of your destiny, you serve a master.

My point is that money isn't everything, quality of life has a value.
But you can have freedom (and more than 20k) working for someone else. In my current job, as long as I get the work done on time, it doesn't matter when I am in the office or what I do. No one looks over my shoulder.

Right now to maintain what I consider a comfortable lifestyle, I want at least 60k/year.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
In my opinion, money will buy the few things that I strive for in life: financial security for myself and financial security for my family and children. And those things will give me happiness.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM

378 posts, read 707,161 times
Happiness is a continuous scale, not a binary. I could probably reach a minimum level of satisfaction on full-time minimum wage, but I'd be happier with more. Research indicates that happiness tends to top out at $75,000. Since I'm frugal, it'd probably be a little lower for me.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:

This article is not exactly straightforward. It is cheaper to live in RURAL texas than Urban California, that is true....but the cost of living is quite high in the urban areas of Texas, and frankly, urban areas are where most of the country lives.

People assume texas is so cheap to live in because of the low housing costs and no state income tax. But the property taxes off set the income tax, and you get what you pay for with housing. Houses are cheap, and will remain cheap, unlike in other markets where your home will appreciate a great deal.

Texas is cheap compared to some places, but it's not this magic shangri-la the article makes it out to be. Generally it's true that : Low Cost of Living = Low quality of Life/Availability of Amenities.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
This was discussed somewhat on a retirement thread. I think I said if had a small home paid off you would probably still need about $24K just to survive - this would be an early retirement so you would have to provide your own health insurance. If you retire very early you SS is not going to be that great, either...

I really don't mind a modest place, can't think of anything I really want except to travel and have some nice dinners and wine. Maybe I would like one really nice car before the dirt nap. I can go on the cheap but I have a weakness for luxury hotels, especially if they are historic or world-renowned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business