U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm looking for part time work. I was thinking of looking for a job, but I don't think the prospects are great and I prefer independence and flexibility.

I would enjoy passing out flyers door to door. I know I won't be making lots of $$$$, but it will give me exercise, extra cash and is easy. Anyone have any great ideas about how to find businesses who would need flyers passed out.
If you'd stop thinking like an employee and start thinking like a business owner, you would realize that passing out flyers can make you a nice living even rich. Passing out flyers is essentially just marketing. Why would you market for other people's products and services for an hourly wage? When you could market your own products and services and make a days wage from a couple of fliers. You can create an e-book targeted to a specific demographic and pass out fliers to download it at a url...thats just an idea....but you get the point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM

25,305 posts, read 17,125,812 times
Good point, I was thinking along the same lines too. The goal is to scale it up and outsource the work and focus on marketing. For example providing janitorial, gardening, babysitting, errand running. You can go through the phonebook and see examples of services people are providing. Then you would basically be scheduling people to work for you. You pay the employees $8 an hour and charge the client significantly more.

With business you have to think of what the best use of your time is. I think many people want to do it all . It doesn't make sense for a business owner to do a min wage job. You want to focus on the marketing/management aspects .

Actually being the business owner and passing out the flyers might be a good way to gain additional clients. How many business do you interact with today where you can see the owner face to face. Even with technology being used to much that face to face contact is important. Especially if you are marketing in your own neighborhood people will be more willing to do business with you.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,136 posts, read 60,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Especially if you are marketing in your own neighborhood people will be more willing to do business with you.
I know that wouldn't work here. People go out of their way to avoid doing business with people that litter their homes with flyers. Most have stopped even trying, because since the law passed, even if they have a permit they keep getting stopped by the cops to check on them because almost every house calls to report them. Then more and more people are putting up "no soliciting" signs which makes it a violation even to leave a flyer. People that distribute flyers are considered right there with telemarketers. When I think about how I and my family/friends buy services and goods, the only effective way to market these days is a really good position on internet search engines.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,942,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I know that wouldn't work here. People go out of their way to avoid doing business with people that litter their homes with flyers. Most have stopped even trying, because since the law passed, even if they have a permit they keep getting stopped by the cops to check on them because almost every house calls to report them. Then more and more people are putting up "no soliciting" signs which makes it a violation even to leave a flyer. People that distribute flyers are considered right there with telemarketers. When I think about how I and my family/friends buy services and goods, the only effective way to market these days is a really good position on internet search engines.
I did flyer distribution as a job once, for a paint company, but hired through a third party (who, by the way, ripped me off for about $600 worth of work and never paid me but that's another story) -- we were focusing on certain neighborhoods only, and we were yelled at, shooed away, threatened, etc.

Personally I throw away all flyers I find on my own door unless there is some amazing deal on pizza or Chinese delivery.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,214 times
Smile Flyer distribution

According to my opinion the leaflet/flyer distribution is the best part time job and also earn some money to distribute flyers form door to door delivery.Leaflet distribution is an extremely effective method of getting a message directly to a market. Leaflet distribution places a message into the hands or letterboxes of a target market. It is an extremely popular form of marketing that is particularly effective for promoting services or products that are specific to particular regions or demographics.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 PM

25,250 posts, read 33,183,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycoel View Post
............. Leaflet distribution places a message into the hands or letterboxes of a target market. .
It is against Federal law to place anything into a mailbox. The only legal way to get it into the mailbox is to put a stamp on it (or pay bulk rate) and have the post office deliver it.

Fines can be very expensive.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,007,378 times
its mostly ilegal workers in my area who do this i bet they get paid like a penny a flyer or $5 per hour or something like that. If you start your own business you may be able to make a bit more that way than working for someone else. I have a friend who had a business like this. The way they make most of hteir money is not by delivering the flyers normally they handle the design of the ad as well as the printing and make a cut off of that as well.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM

607 posts, read 1,242,009 times
I had a similar idea to the OP's idea except that it would be a more full-service operation. I would do the design, printing and distribution of the flyers. However, I thought it through very well and realized that it wouldn't be a very profitable venture. As someone who is constantly trying to think of new and unique business ideas that could potentially be very profitable, I have to say that it's hard to think of something that is new and original since it seems like everything has been tried and done before. I know it hasn't but it's much harder now days, than the old days.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,054 times
my husband posted fliers for a man in az he only made 40.00 day because the guy he worked for made 300.00 day and hired two employees to fly them in neighborhoods around town for sitting around mostly he made 220.00 a day now thats a great idea. point the way!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or