U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM

3,770 posts, read 5,825,493 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for part time work. I was thinking of looking for a job, but I don't think the prospects are great and I prefer independence and flexibility.

I would enjoy passing out flyers door to door. I know I won't be making lots of $$$$, but it will give me exercise, extra cash and is easy. Anyone have any great ideas about how to find businesses who would need flyers passed out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM

33,031 posts, read 23,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm looking for part time work. I was thinking of looking for a job, but I don't think the prospects are great and I prefer independence and flexibility.

I would enjoy passing out flyers door to door. I know I won't be making lots of $$$$, but it will give me exercise, extra cash and is easy. Anyone have any great ideas about how to find businesses who would need flyers passed out.

I've thought about doing this, and there is the occasional business ad on Craigslist looking for people to drop flyers door to door. (That is, the ads are posted by people with a business passing out flyers for other businesses - not posted by businesses looking to have their own flyers distributed.)

There is a hidden source of potential customers what's worth researching:

Most states and/or counties require individuals to apply for a business license, this information is publicly available, often at a county office set up for that. Specifically, businesses not using the name of the owner (like say John Smith Plumbing) are called "assumed names" and businesses file a form for that.

This info is often available online, in which case you can do everything from home.

Available information often includes name of business, name of owner, business address, and a phone number. Date of filing is also included, so you could look for NEW businesses registered say in the last three months.

New businesses might be interested in having flyers distributed in their neighborhood as a form of cheap advertising. Some people think it's tacky. But there is often a new business in the neighborhood willing to try it.

Pizza shops often pass out flyers in the neighborhood, as ordering a pizza is often an impulse decision.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,148 posts, read 60,192,904 times
Here in Sammamish WA, and many other cities, you do need a business license even for that and can be arrested and fined. Even where it's legal, people become very annoyed by the littering of their home or car by people
distributing flyers. It's a thankless job and you will likely be paid cash at less than minimum wage, perhaps a low per flyer rate. people who see you will complain to the police in residential areas, and to the management on parking lots. I hope you can find something better to make money though I do admire your ambition and willingness to try anything to better your financies.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,477,427 times
Quote:

Why not deliver the news paper? It pays more and better work. Flyer guys are drunks who are looking for a days pay to get high

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,211,971 times
What? (LOL) I have seen legit Flyer businesses. Not sure what a "Flyer guy" is.

Either you are a business or you aren't. Advertising can make good money. Depends.

Not sure about newspapers much anymore. This can vary on the area, but most papers are going under and many don't get "papers" anymore.

Also you are using your resources, paying the paper and then have to count on collecting the pmts on your own.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,219,905 times
There are other jobs where you can make real money and have that independence.

I was a meter reader for a while, sure I had a set schedule however basically I showed up in the morning picked up my gear and was out and not bothered all day returned to the office just to drop it off. Could listen to headphones, take lunch when I wanted to, etc.

I have a buddy that owned a flyer business.

The first problem you have is others are full service meaning they either also do printing or have an in with a printing shop so they get discouted printing for their clients plus they make a cut off of that as well as just the flyer distribution.

Other problem is at least in my area it's a bunch of illegal mexicans doing it. you can't compete with their cost of labor.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 AM

I think my idea is not so great. The pay will be super low, maybe like $8/hr. The initial idea sounded fun, but I don't want to compete with illegal aliens for not even enough to live off of. I thought it could give me something easy to do while I get a real high paying business off the ground over the next 6 months. I'm expecting my labor rate to be closer to $80/hr, so better get my rear in gear and stop thinking of these silly plans.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,219,905 times
Quote:
I think my idea is not so great. The pay will be super low, maybe like $8/hr. The initial idea sounded fun, but I don't want to compete with illegal aliens for not even enough to live off of. I thought it could give me something easy to do while I get a real high paying business off the ground over the next 6 months. I'm expecting my labor rate to be closer to $80/hr, so better get my rear in gear and stop thinking of these silly plans.
If you got the spare time why not do it, even if it is $8 an hour. You get exercise, I normally run 3 miles a day so why not get paid for it right?

I would work for someone else though. Why deal with the headaches of having to bring in your own clients to make $8 an hour when you can work for someone else and just be told what to distribute and what area.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
If you got the spare time why not do it, even if it is $8 an hour. You get exercise, I normally run 3 miles a day so why not get paid for it right?

I would work for someone else though. Why deal with the headaches of having to bring in your own clients to make $8 an hour when you can work for someone else and just be told what to distribute and what area.
i understand what you mean by spare time. i think ill be ok with money. so i'll put my spare time into getting the new biz stuff up an running sooner.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,466 times
Are you still interested in or have you started your flyer distribution business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or