Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the factor enalrging Toyota's recall crisis
The reaction of CEO towards the crisis 1 50.00%
Japanese culture influnce on PR practice 0 0%
Weakness in the crisis communication 0 0%
Another factor connected to PR practice 0 0%
Another factor unconnected to PR practice 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 AM

8 posts, read 14,511 times

Advertisements

Hello every one...

I would like to initiate this discussion to share with each other our opinions, insights and suggestions about the topic which is for research purposes.

"Electronic Flaws Did Not Cause Toyota Problems, U.S. Says"

This statement was highlighted at many press releases in last February after ten months investigation, and about a year and a half since the first crash has happened.
It was a shock!! after all those thunders since 2009. Where is Toyota from that, rather the Public Relations role of the largest automakers in the world?!
Let's specified the question: In what ways Toyota should handling the recall crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM

No one wants to share!!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM

50 posts, read 128,885 times
1. I don't know exactly what you want.

2. Your phrasing of the questions seems unclear (I'm assuming English isn't your native tongue.)

3. I work in the auto manufacturing industry and feel that you're oversimplifying the situation. Are you looking at this from a PR point of view, engineering or customer service?

My opinion is that Toyota violated several of their guiding principles in the rush to become Global #1. Almost all of their large recalls came after their public statement that Global #1 was their goal. The "Toyota Way" was cast aside and their business model changed. Even their Japanese plants struggle with a generational war. One of their managers was quoted, "how do I explain the Toyota Way to workers like that?" as he gestured to a young employee with tattoos and piercings.

Toyota's Just in Time or lean manufacturing process relies heavily on quality control. There have been several semi-large recalls (100k-250k) over quality issues that should have never left their initial testing processes. They cut corners on their testing processes and it finally showed up in a large mess. I feel after their first or second quality testing related recall they should have reexamined their system but they didn't..... I use the term "quanality" to explain the approach the Big 3 then later Toyota and Honda have used towards quality testing and awards such as JD Powers. If you build enough quantity at a level of quality, then your numbers will be satisfactory. Instead of building a great car, build a mediocre car in huge quantities; your warranty claim percentages will go down and your DPV (defects per vehicle) will go down as you flood the market.

The "quanality" concept reared it's head and bit people in the butt when the recession hit. Fewer cars were sold, they were built at the lowered quality level and therefor the DPV and warranty claim percentages went up.

I wrote a white paper for my management on this issue. I actually write a lot of weird papers for senior management. One that they're implementing is the principle of group intelligence and applying hive insect behaviors to the factory environment. Our tests with it have been successful, I knew it would because I applied it at a cabinet factory I used to manage.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
It nw appears it was just the us unions and their conrgessional supporters who really should be embrassed. I the end I thnik people ahve moved on and thought ofit has the congress dog and pony show like so often.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 AM

thanks will46r & texdav for sharing
yeah i want it from a PR view point
many people claim that Toyota's crisis is all about responding not the crisis itself !! what do you think ?
from my opinion i see that the Japanese culture influnce played a great role in weakening crisis responding

Old 07-30-2011, 03:32 AM

texdav do you think it's a man-made crisis?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 AM

50 posts, read 128,885 times
I'm not a PR expert, I work in Quality Control and Process Improvement/Engineering.......

Japanese companies tend to make group decisions, this allows the individuals save "face" if the decision goes wrong. This trait would lead to slow decision making in light of a crisis.... The decision making group has to deal with violating Toyota's founding principles, this probably led to a lot of infighting or some soul searching that slowed their reactions. I find the inactivity Toyota's American PR machine until the head of Toyota stepped forward to accept blame pretty damning.

The organizational/social harmony aspect of Japanese society is one of their strengths and one of their weaknesses. There isn't the usual "sharpshooting" at their meetings but I've found that this allows people to accept a position they wouldn't normally accept. The group harmony dynamic of their decision making leaves no one person accountable so there's nothing to lose if the decision doesn't work out. Compare this to Korean/Western companies where only the strongest ideas (usually) can emerge from a meeting and the person that pushes it through knows there are consequences for failure.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM

i agree with u will46r
great post
thanks a bunch

Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Toyota paid $48.8 million fines to the US government because the Transportation department said, Toyota had not reacted appropriately to reports of problem.
this is an explicit sign that the problem is about Toyota's demeanor

Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
People also settle suits all the time. It often means very little other than they want the problem to go away because defending is more costly.Personally I tnik the action actually hurt the idea of congressional hearings more than anyone. There is a reason its called the dog and pony show.Around the world the US just looked kind of stupid. The Japansese reacted more to their culture which is much different.But then again we saw the difference clearly in the recent earthqauke also.My guess is they will never understand the maddening crowd idea so common here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business