Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 AM

688 posts, read 2,831,821 times

Advertisements

What items do you mainly sell? And why did you decide to sell these things? Do you have an eBay store, do you prefer Buy Now, or auction only? And do you have it as a supplemental income or a full out full time business? Just curious.

LuLu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM

510 posts, read 3,197,597 times
My best friend, and my Father both sell on E-bay. Neither do it as a full source of income... they simply do it as a supplemental. One owns a store, and lists items on Ebay for the same prices as things in his store. The items range from easy to get, to items that are limited productions from the manufacturer. The other has a car/home audio installation business. He lists his inventory at a small profit on e-bay.

In my opinion there are two ways to make money on e-bay. Sell something that is very rare, or created by yourself at a profit. Or you can sell like most of the other people...small profit margins at high volumes. It's so big now, there's tons of competition.

If I was to throw out an idea... I would say wander around to the specialty shop stores that sell stuff for local artists. If you see something that people may like, call the artist, and see if you can sell for them. If you get enough, you could create your own e-bay store...

To me it seems like a lot of work to actually make a living from it. I think most people supplement their current business, or just sell stuff on the side while they work their day job.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

578 posts, read 3,060,583 times
I used to sell used car parts up to about a yr ago while I was studying I never had a store didnt think they were worth the money. I used both auctions and buy now, it was my only income at the time, ebay has gone down hill from when I first started the fees are stupid, they cant control the scammers and the integrated paypal system is crap with high fees, as a seller I learnt that ebay isnt very good when it comes to customer service unless you are the buyer I had lots of problems and lost lots of money as ebay or paypal usually favor the buyer. So I knocked GREEDBAY on the head and went elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business