Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 AM

955 posts, read 2,150,624 times

Advertisements

What works in small business advertising? Should you go TV, radio, print, or just good old fashioned word-of-mouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,072,663 times
Good question. I make our brochures myself on my com****r, and we leave those in key places. We also give out a lot of business cards. Word of mouth is the best we can hope for. I also designed my own website, which is advertised on print media. Now the client has a place to learn more about our company, and a way to communicate with us. I can't afford t.v. or radio, and my competition isn't advertising there either. My competion is in real estate guides, and they are expensive to advertise in - so we opted for (and got lucky to find) a billboard a short distance before our office. What types of advertising have you done or considered? What ever you do, ask all who call you where they got your name, so you can pinpoint what ads are working for you and which are a waste of money.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,334,839 times
it all depends on the type of business you have. What is your business?

We have found the web and word of mouth to be the best for us - just depends on your business.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,796,238 times
Without a whole lot more info about your business, it's all speculation.

However, there are some paradigms that hold true. Good PR is worth 3-4 times what you spend on paid advertising..the web gives you viral marketing you'd never get from passing out cards, and investing your time can replace some startup capital but at some point is a huge diminished return when you want to focus on business growth.

TV (actually, all forms of video) are the MOST powerful form of communication. However, it's also your largest investment to be effective, so it's something you should discuss at length with your PR director or advertising/MarCom manager.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:53 AM

31 posts, read 69,724 times
in my opinion Internet advertising like have Website , have many links in free Forum or less prise AD. in Web can help all small business
you can write something about your business in your own Website or the other wen and some other people can help you to talk about it more and more
but if your support isn't good, you lose very soon

Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,515,380 times
The right use of promotional products (giveaways) can't be beat, especially if its something people want to either use or keep around. Keeps your name/brand/logo in front of the client on a very regular basis. Use the right products and that client may see your brand on a recurring basis for more than a year.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM

955 posts, read 2,150,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
The right use of promotional products (giveaways) can't be beat, especially if its something people want to either use or keep around. Keeps your name/brand/logo in front of the client on a very regular basis. Use the right products and that client may see your brand on a recurring basis for more than a year.
Thanks Dave. I was thinking about calculators with our logo since it fits in with our business but didn't follow-up because I figured that they would be way too much to pay for promotion items. Your reply renewed my interest and I found a site on line that would sell calculators with logo and name, etc. for just over two dollars each in reasonable quantities.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,515,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Thanks Dave. I was thinking about calculators with our logo since it fits in with our business but didn't follow-up because I figured that they would be way too much to pay for promotion items. Your reply renewed my interest and I found a site on line that would sell calculators with logo and name, etc. for just over two dollars each in reasonable quantities.
Check out the Promotional Products Association's (broken link)website. They have a research area that talks about incorporating this into your strategy.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,959,233 times
I use mostly word of mouth and networking with professional referral sources. You can market once to a customer or build a pipeline of leads by picking up a few good professional sources that have similiar goals and need your services.

I also do some web advertising and marketing for our website. Really its my past clients and professional network that bring in 80% of my business. I tried a bit of newspaper and other advertising, but it was not worth the investment unless you have a large company and money to drop from what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business