U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,497,355 times

Advertisements

I was offered a temporary driving job a and the employer said the client will sent 2 money orders via mail. Today, I received them and the money orders had a huge wad of them.

So I tried to email the employer but his email server was suspended. Then I tried to call the person who sent the money orders, but his phone number is disabled or it didn't exist. I was starting to get very suspicious and now I'm hesitant to cash in the money orders.

Are most USPS money orders counterfeit and fraudulent? Should I call USPS to see if they're legit? I don't want to get in trouble now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 5,504,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

Are most USPS money orders counterfeit and fraudulent? Should I call USPS to see if they're legit? I don't want to get in trouble now.
USPS money orders are the gold standard for money orders. You can cash them at a post office if you do not have a bank account. Take them to a post office to see if they are legit.

Verifying U.S. Postal Service Money Orders

Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM

11,454 posts, read 48,765,692 times
USPS money orders are only issued upon receipt of good funds, generally cash paid to the post office.
So they are pretty good.

If the money orders you received aren't fakes, then they should be cashable at your bank.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,707,384 times
You are correct for being suspicious of getting a "wad" of money orders - USPS or not.

You may want to check them out first - the USPS has a special toll-free number so you check the validity of those money orders: 866-459-7822

Also, the USPS website has some tips to visually check out Money Orders : https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm?

Hope this helps!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,497,355 times
The money orders were indeed fake and I turned them in to the post office. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business