U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM

339 posts, read 1,197,319 times

Advertisements

Today someone said something to me that got me so riled up that it took me half an hour to calm down...unfortunately during that time I was on the road which I hate to vent on the roadway lest I cause an accident LOL.

So I was at my bank that I've been at for nearly a year. I've used them quite often but have a 2nd account at another bank that I use more often since they have more branches than the other bank.

Anyhow, there was a discrepancy with my account balance. A banker called me over and we began speaking about the issue. After a few minutes I had needed to take a phone call and thanked him for his time and was walking out. Before I could get out his office, he tells me, "you have to find a job that pays more money". And we didn't even discuss or look at ANYTHING relating to my income.

I told him, "this is NOT the only account I have. I have an account with another bank that I use more often which is closer to me."

I had just opened the exit door of the bank, when I walked back in and said, "what's your name?" he gave me his business card eagerly thinking I wanted his business.

I called later and spoke to a supervisor about the issue and was FURIOUS. I told her, "he had no place to tell me something like that when he doesn't even know what the hell I make. Just because my account balance has been low for awhile doesn't mean crap about how much I earn". I just made a deposit at the other bank earlier that day for over $400 and that's money I made in 2 days! Before that, another 300. Just because I'm not freakin sitting behind a cubicle 9-5 (he was probing into what I did for a living, which I found unnecessary as well for such a simple transaction) doesn't mean I'm not making enough to support myself. I just choose to use the other account more often because it's easier to make my deposits there instead of driving 10 miles across town everytime I need to withdraw and deposit money.

I just keep running into stuff like this all the time with businesses. They hire some incompetent, rude employee who's mad because they have to work that day and take it out on customers. And they think that because they are older, and White or Hispanic that me as a younger Black person don't have sense enough to go report their ass to their supervisor and supposed to just sit back and take that crap but I know exactly what to do. They need to quit with that ****.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM

14,017 posts, read 19,331,167 times
I agree 100% that the bank teller was out of line. However, I am 67 years old and have dealt with quite a number of different banks plus a credit union during that time. I don't believe that I've ever dealth with a rude bank or credit union employee. I have experienced irritation with minor foul-ups on the part of banks (rarely), but the employees were never rude when I was attempting to fix things. I think the financial and economic behaviour of the mega banks leading up to our meltdown of 2007-2008 was sleazy, but I still maintain their employees are well trained in courteous behavior with the public.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 AM

339 posts, read 1,197,319 times
Well, not all encounters with banks have necessarily been rude...

For example, my 2nd bank I was referring to...I had deposited a check worth a few thousand dollars. The lady was very nice in helping me do so as normally I wouldn't of been able to deposit such a large check in that particular account.

However, I had needed to withdraw most of it once it cleared. A different teller, a younger girl; says "are you getting ready to buy something?" I'm like, umm...that's non of your business honey. But instead just smiled and said yes and told her. What if I was taking that money out because I didn't trust banks with my money? Wouldn't of been a very nice answer would it?

I probably shouldn't have said e.g. banks...but this particular situation happened at a bank.

But elsewhere...many jobs with so called 'professional' employees have just downright silly acting employees. And it makes it harder to want to go off on them because you're in a professional place.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,894 posts, read 65,337,271 times
Banks continue to encourage people to use their drive-up machines, online banking and now even smartphone deposits so they can reduce their staff in the branches and save money. That being the case they are not going to be paying tellers much and therefore may not be getting the best people in those jobs in some places. I have never experienced anything like that at any of the three banks we use regularly, they have always been polite and friendly. I'd suggest using a different branch from now on, find one you like and stick to it. Here there are two branches of the same three banks withing two miles of each other plus small branches inside the grocery stores which are always less busy.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM

15,973 posts, read 14,640,750 times
There was a bank commercial running in my area recently in which the bank said they want to have personal relationships with their customers and know all about them and their money situation (paraphrasing). I was taken aback by it, because quite honestly, I do not want to have a personal relationship with my bank and I don't want them to know my personal business.

I try to avoid going in the bank. Just last week I had a $100 error on one of my withdrawals. I handled it via mail.

I would suggest you write a letter to the bank headquarters explaining your situation and your discomfort over it. And close your account there if at all possible.

Your response to the banker should have been "...an you need to find a job that doesn't require dealing with people in a courteous manner."

Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,393,262 times
I don't thnik banks are any different than any business really. their are IMO more rude employees and cutomers now days. I have come to believe that rudfeness often is to hide stuipd on both sides most often.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM

15,973 posts, read 14,640,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't thnik banks are any different than any business really. their are IMO more rude employees and cutomers now days. I have come to believe that rudfeness often is to hide stuipd on both sides most often.
If a bank sent you correspondence with as many spelling and grammatical errors as your posts, would you consider it rudeness or stupidity?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,186,809 times
I doubt if any company is completely disregarding courteous customer service in its hiring practices. However, a few employees may be hired for their other skills, even though CS is not their strong suit. And, an employuee, just like anyone else can have a bad day, or exercise momentary poor judgment.

Being white, I am in no position to judge the overall situation from the shoes of the OP, and would not offer an opinion as to whether he encounters rudeness more frequently or of a different nature than a white person. However (without counting), I would say that black employees have in the past been more likely to be rude or at least cool to me, so maybe it's a racial thing that cuts both ways in a nation that isn't really as "comfortably multicultural" as it likes to think it is.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,174,633 times
When you pay minimum wage, what do you expect to get? Also when you go to a place that hires minimum wage people, don't expect to get top quality services. You get what you pay for.

Consumers want lowest price possible, yet they complain when they aren't given the VIP treatment? Give me a break.

If you want better service then go to the place that hires people at 12$+/hr.

There is a price to good service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business