Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who owns a small business. She had some guy do a halfarsed website for her and, even thought she paid him in full, he never finished the job and disappeared. She never got the webmaster info from him so she can't even log into the site as an administrator and make changes or add photos or messages or anything else.

She spoke to someone about it and this person told her to "forget about websites" and that websites will soon be "a thing of the past". He went on to tell her he'll re-do her whole Facebook page so people can order from her business through her Facebook page. I told her that I doubt websites will ever be a "thing of the past" but she says this guy told her that all businesses are going to go the Facebook route and close down their sites.

I just can't see this happening. There's only so much you can do on Facebook and you can't really have links to different pages. For example: "about us" "contact" "online ordering" "FAQs" etc etc etc.

Has anyone heard anything like this?
Does anyone think Facebook will replace business websites?
Any other input (especially about her being able to gain access to her own site) would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Website OR Facebook

I meant the title of the thread to say OR Facebook, not "of" Facebook. Sorry!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
A lot of the info you can find on a website can get transferred to Facebook pages. I find that most places that use FB for marketing also keep a regular website, but the website often encourages people to check the Facebook page for fresh information.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
A lot of the info you can find on a website can get transferred to Facebook pages. I find that most places that use FB for marketing also keep a regular website, but the website often encourages people to check the Facebook page for fresh information.
Yes, right now, she uses FB for marketing, news, etc. My problem is, I just can't see any businesses shutting down their sites and conducting all business through Facebook. It sounds ridiculous. If I want to purchase something, I don't want to have to log on to a FB page and see "wall" messages and then figure out how to navigate around to make a purchase. I would deem that VERY unprofessional and think that if you can't afford to have a website, you mustn't be doing very well in your business.

I told her she should have a fully functioning websbite with links to her Facebook and Twitter. She still believes this guy when he says everything in the future is going to be done through Facebook

Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
She needs to find out who she paid to register her domain name.
She should have a canceled check or CC statement or she can find out on whois.net.

I agree she needs admin rights to her own site. She paid for it.

More and more "marketing" is done on FB and Twitter, but e-commerce? Not yet. As we all know FB has some serious security issues.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather sell through a more trusted site such as Amazon, or even, gulp, ebay.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
FB has become a jungle and although I can see its merit in posting updates on one's small business through it's pages, no way do I think it can replace a website. Reputable and experienced webmasters are very easy to find and it's unfortunate that your friend latched onto the wrong one but I totally disagree with the blanket advice she's been given.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
...She spoke to someone about it and this person told her to "forget about websites" and that websites will soon be "a thing of the past". He went on to tell her he'll re-do her whole Facebook page so people can order from her business through her Facebook page...

I read in Entrepreneur Magazine that going to Facebook will be the new thing for internet businesses or businesses of any kind with websites.

-Cheers.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I read in Entrepreneur Magazine that going to Facebook will be the new thing for internet businesses or businesses of any kind with websites.

-Cheers.
Can you link me to the article?

I just can't imagine Facebook being "the new thing" -- especially since the security of their site is so "iffy".

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
A brief Google quickly demonstrates that Entrepreneur Magazine obviously has some huge financial ties to Facebook with one hand furiously washing the other. Ergo, consider the source!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
A brief Google quickly demonstrates that Entrepreneur Magazine obviously has some huge financial ties to Facebook with one hand furiously washing the other. Ergo, consider the source!
That's what I pretty much figured. Facebook being "the wave of the future for business"??? Absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business