U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

4,470 posts, read 7,219,927 times

Advertisements

I know of a couple U.S. companies that "outsource" there collection, business, and other functions to other countries

I know of one such company that has a telephone center in :India, Phillipines, and Egypt

I find it very very difficult to communicate with these persons in these companies and makes it difficult for both sides

Also, with the U.S. unemployment so high; why isn't there a way to move some of this business back to the good ole USofA?

Sorry; I just like to have us as we were: The United States of America and keep the business here.
HW
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

62 posts, read 73,858 times
If regulations were lesser, then maybe.

Ultimately, it is about profits, more efficient business operations and shareholder value. For outsourcing to stop, companies must be coaxed into staying put.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I read an article not too long ago that jobs are coming back to the U.S. because its getting more expensive in foreign countries to house those jobs. At the end the savings is small and not worth the headache such as high employee turn over and constant training of new employees and rising transportation costs. The article mentioned that India's employee turn over rate is high.

Here's an article that I remembered reading regarding this subject:

Made in USA: Companies bringing overseas jobs home - Jun. 17, 2011

-Cheers.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 PM

455 posts, read 1,155,415 times
I don't blame the companies for going overseas. Less regulation, lower wages, no employment law (ie. little to no risk of employment lawsuits). Makes good business sense. Even I outsource to foreign countries to bypass US minimum wage and regulation. I can't afford risking my business because of an employment lawsuit. Not worth it.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM

17,971 posts, read 16,450,385 times
Outsourcing is just another way for businesses to lower operating costs and seek better profits. Nothing wrong with it if it's planned out well and coordinated properly. I think we saw a mad dash out of the country in the past 5 years, and much of it was planned very poorly, resulting in costly mistakes. This sort of reckless profit seeking behavior is not prudent business sense, and benefits no one. Some of those jobs are coming back slowly, especially with wages and benefits in America coming down, yet rising in many developing nations.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 8,157,143 times
They probably looked at what they were spending on a particular function, then at the value that function provides and decided to off-shore it.

Regulations, unions, huge healthcare and benefit costs, all could be factors.

Some business are facing backlash over this!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 AM

152 posts, read 466,832 times
Let me tell you my friend it is everywhere.

I am in Afghanistan in a large military unit that repairs vehicles and updates them with various upgrades. Good old GI grunts doing that you may think and you would be wrong.

.6% of several thousands of this military unit are military ( I know the number, but you don't need to)
1.6% are DA civilians (government employees) and a large percentage of those are temp employees (called term employees)

the remainder 97+ percent are contractors. -US contractors you say! but you would be wrong again. The vast majority (over 90%) are India nationals. Hardworking, certainly but not Americans.

And to think this is US taxpayers war. Why are there Indians doing this work? for the same reason they man customer service lines, they are cheaper. Why not military? Because politics require the number of boots on the ground be kept in a minimium.

If you can't fight an American War with Americans, then all is lost.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

27 posts, read 48,401 times
Here is the quick idea about outsourcing, if you outsource outside US and pay less it is equivalent also to low profits! "Trust Me"

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
Just read here, very usefull topic: [url=http://kydalov-partners.com/en/business-establishment-in-ukraine-as-one-of-the-poorly-stocked-markets/]Business establishment in Ukraine as one of the poorly stocked markets | Kydalov & Partners[/url]

Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 AM

298 posts, read 259,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecharlene View Post
If regulations were lesser, then maybe.

Ultimately, it is about profits, more efficient business operations and shareholder value. For outsourcing to stop, companies must be coaxed into staying put.

If your American business can't stay afloat due to regulations like minimum wage, overtime pay, or child labor laws, then it doesn't belong in this country in the first place.

Most companies that outsource though are doing so to pad profits, not stay afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business