U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM

6,296 posts, read 9,892,880 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been doing some research into e-commerce integration with QuickBooks for my business as a QuickBooks pro advisor. The more I dig into the integration and how it all ties together the more "intrigued" I am with possibly setting up my own store.

I am wondering how much of a time investment is involved once you have it all set up and automated? What I am looking at is Pinnacle cart with either t-hub or Webgility to integrate with the accounting software. Pinnacle has a link to a company that does drop shipping (I haven't looked into their pricing yet) and that "could" be a viable source of product.

I haven't "pinned down" a specific product line yet as I have just started to think about the possibility. It looks as if I could get started for well under 1000 dollars and I already have the accounting structure in place. (QuickBooks, a merchant account)

I am wondering if anyone here is operating a web store and if they would like to share any pitfalls or issues to be aware of? Here are a few I have considered;

1) Amazon- I will have to consider a line of business that does not compete directly with Amazon. The other possibility is selling product through Amazon marketplace.

2) There are products I would consider "difficult" in terms of customer service such as clothing. It seems as if there would be a greater amount of customer returns in that business. ( The old "I USED TO WEAR THAT SIZE'....)

Like I said, I just started looking at this recently. If anything it would be good experience (setting up my own store) for my main line of business of QuickBooks consulting/integration. If I could set it up and generate some side income that would be a plus.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 AM

69,360 posts, read 58,064,785 times
Yes, I abandoned the integration idea and went with a software provided by Stone Edge Technologies

It will still integrate with quickbooks if you need, but I found no need

Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,177,877 times
Funny how people often start at the wrong end of the telescope when contemplating a business. The first and most important thing you need to figure out is what you're going to sell. You can have all the whiz-bang technology and integration in the world and it won't amount to anything if you don't have something customers want and can't attract them. Find what you want to sell and start lining up suppliers first before even thinking about your website. I've been selling on-line successfully for 10 years and don't have the greatest website in the world but my apparel and accessory products are pretty popular. Amazon is a good place to sell as well if you have enough margin to handle paying the commission.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM

@pghquest- Thanks for the link. I am first and foremost trying to learn the best options for my business clients that want to integrate their current company (using QuickBooks) into a webcart so they can also sell online.

I am wondering about what happens when (not if) states finally demand that sales tax be paid on every online order. With the financial condition of the States I see it only as a matter of time. I found one program that is set up for that already and even files your sales tax returns for you;
Intuit QuickBooks | Avalara (this is the QuickBooks link but they do integrate with other accounting packages). This program pinpoints the exact customer location so it can apply the proper state and local option tax to the sale.

@ CAVA1990 Yes, it is important to have a viable product. The reason I put the cart before the horse is that I started looking at this from my current business perspective which is helping business integrate software with their QuickBooks accounting systems. I wanted to be prepared to suggest the best options for my clients that want to sell online.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,177,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace;22181120I am wondering about what happens when (not if) states finally demand that sales tax be paid on every online order. With the financial condition of the States I see it only as a matter of time. I found one program that is set up for that already and even files your sales tax returns for you;
[URL="http://www.avalara.com/intuit"
Intuit QuickBooks | Avalara[/url] (this is the QuickBooks link but they do integrate with other accounting packages). This program pinpoints the exact customer
My website would do that for me. Amazon does as well. Not sure you're really going to need a separate accounting program for it. I doubt they're going to implement something like that without establishing a national clearinghouse. I can't see them forcing online merchants to file 50+ tax returns per month or quarter.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My website would do that for me. Amazon does as well. Not sure you're really going to need a separate accounting program for it. I doubt they're going to implement something like that without establishing a national clearinghouse. I can't see them forcing online merchants to file 50+ tax returns per month or quarter.
Upon further investigation this company (avalara) is designed for businesses with a nexus is multiple tax locations and jurisdictions. It is geared more towards business that has sales reps.
(Like I mentioned, I am just now investigating the e-commerce business , I have been concentrating in other integration areas such as inventory, barcoding, ERP/MRP and CRM packages.....)

If they ever do tax online sales they will likely use the streamline tax reporting system that has already been developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or