U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,309,096 times

Advertisements

Me and my partner are thinking about starting an LLC. I don't want my name on the LLC however I want my interest in the business recognized and protected.

Is there anyway to protect my interest in the business but not have my name on the LLC?

I'm in IL if that maters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

5,566 posts, read 10,577,734 times
When you say partner - do you mean business partner?

Like a formal business partnership?

If so -- First -- plan on ending that . . . yesterday.

The rest -- sure -- you can have a holding company/corporation/agent as the filer and the listed member of the LLC.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM

27,554 posts, read 35,702,166 times
why don't you want your name on an LLC?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
why don't you want your name on an LLC?
Mainly I just like keeping things private in general and I think Nevada and many states are automatically private when doing an llc not an IL llc though.

The ohter thing, I don't have a non compete with my work and I'm not even a competitor of them but its sort of in the same industry and just want to avoid any potential problems.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
When you say partner - do you mean business partner?

Like a formal business partnership?

If so -- First -- plan on ending that . . . yesterday.

The rest -- sure -- you can have a holding company/corporation/agent as the filer and the listed member of the LLC.
Sorry for a dumb question but I've never done anything like this before. Wouldn't my name then be on the holding company?

Also, I think an LLC is gonna cost me about $700 how much extra ballpark am I looking at to set up a holding company or corporation to have the llc under?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Gotcha. You might be better off forming an S corp and be listed as an investor. If there is a potential conflict with a noncompete you would should consult with an attorney who is up to speed on business law. perhaps be an "angel investor" is the route.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,655,245 times
Look into having an living revocable trust fund own the LLC.

busta

Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM

371 posts, read 884,746 times
hi guys I am very new to all these LLC thing...a friend told me you can have a corporation (not really a corporation with building etc..more like a paper corporation) and just put your house and moneys under the corporation's name....and when you get divorced or a lawsuit (anything else besides those 2?) then they can't touch your corporation and the assets under it....can someone please explain to me how this works? does it really work? any disadvantage to this? thanks a lot

Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
hi guys I am very new to all these LLC thing...a friend told me you can have a corporation (not really a corporation with building etc..more like a paper corporation) and just put your house and moneys under the corporation's name....and when you get divorced or a lawsuit (anything else besides those 2?) then they can't touch your corporation and the assets under it....can someone please explain to me how this works? does it really work? any disadvantage to this? thanks a lot
Here is some reading.

What is corporation? definition and meaning

If you are running a business it is an entity that has separate legal standing from its investors. It has legal rights etc.

The disadvantage is further government regulation. If you place house or other property of the cooperation it can be garnished in case of litigation of loan default.

Taxes may pose another disadvantage, you will have to report dividend and income from the corporation. And the corporation is also responsible for its own taxes.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 8,432,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
No this strategy invoices tax evasion and has other issues... You could setup an irrevocable trust and place your home in it....

Some states have homestead laws protecting your home from lawsuit recovery etc...

Remember that when you structure something and design it to evade taxes or hide assets, it will be most likely that a judge will unwind those transactions.

For example, Joe Paterno recently gifted his house to his wife for $1.00....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business