U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 53,735,003 times

Advertisements

I have wondered why Xerox missed the entire PC market along with IBM. After reading through the Bickerson's insult fest I have learned that it was another case of the marketing tail wagging the engineering dog. I do not find this surprising as the marketers are basically salesmen and are much better at selling their, frequently unfounded, ideas to a gullible management than are the engineers. What I am continuously amazed by is just how gullible most management really is. I suppose it is because the way to the top is frequently through sales and degenerate liars are the easiest to fool.

Indeed Xerox is about the worst company in history that wasn't and actual criminal conspiracy. Would someone please offer an explanation as to why 3M is so consistently successful?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,350,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have wondered why Xerox missed the entire PC market along with IBM. After reading through the Bickerson's insult fest I have learned that it was another case of the marketing tail wagging the engineering dog. I do not find this surprising as the marketers are basically salesmen and are much better at selling their, frequently unfounded, ideas to a gullible management than are the engineers. What I am continuously amazed by is just how gullible most management really is. I suppose it is because the way to the top is frequently through sales and degenerate liars are the easiest to fool.

Indeed Xerox is about the worst company in history that wasn't and actual criminal conspiracy. Would someone please offer an explanation as to why 3M is so consistently successful?
“marketing tail wagging the engineering dog”
That sums up why Novell lost out to Microsoft for PC networks. Novell was the clear leader for those that worked in IT. Microsoft wined and dined the clueless CEO’s and sold their inferior product to the “gullible management” morons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or