Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM

117 posts, read 344,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering what are some good products or set of products that one ca easily buy and resell for a small but relatively sure profir on Ebay?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
What do you and your friends and relatives buy on it? Perhaps that will give you some ideas.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
If you have a good knowledge of antiques and collectiblesyou can buy items cheap at garage sales, and then sell for major profits on e-bay.

Often people don't know what they have. A friend does this and often spends $4-6 for an item and sells it for $200 or more. For new items that you buy wholesale and sell online it's very difficult to compete with the many established sellers in China. Look at any electronic item on e-bay, for example, and you will find small local dealers charging $40-50 but the same thing coming from China with free shipping for under $10. This applies to name brands, most of which are manufactured there anyway now. I needed a Motorola item that was $40 at the local electronics places, $49 at Verizon. Got it from China at $8 with free shipping.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
I wouldn't put too much emphases on selling used books on ebay.

I've found it to be a hassel. Finding used books was the easy part(they're everywhere). The problem was finding used books that were actually worth selling. Most used books out there will be worthless. Plus things are more particular with used books. Books dealing with education and information need to be more recent like with textbooks. Not too many used book sources will have current textbooks most will be older books. Older books dealing with other areas need to be first editions to make them valuable it seems.

Anyway,right now I'am dabbling in clothing on ebay.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

Just wondering what are some good products or set of products that one ca easily buy and resell for a small but relatively sure profir on Ebay?

Thanks
I did the eBay business for about a year then switched to authoring and selling books on Amazon. Do Amazon business. They print and send the books for you. Very good system they have set up. My cousin has his own business that just produces these books daily and sells them on Amazon. With the amount of Amazon affiliate on the Internet, you can't really go wrong. The problem with eBay was the whole buying and selling mess that usually cut into profits.

By the way, if your real name is Steve Chang, we seem to share the same last name.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Something that can help you to figure out what to buy for ebay selling is to checkout the ebay pulse section. It provides information on the top ten most searched for words for various categories.

eBay Pulse: trends, hot picks, cool stuff and popular searches on eBay.com

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Cell phones are always good things to sell. You can go to wholesalers and buy refurbished phones by the pallet and sell them individually. My gf's brother does this while going to school. He makes out really well.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Here's a good video that shows how to get the most out of ebay pulse.

How To Use eBay Pulse to Research Products for Resale - YouTube

Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I did the eBay business for about a year then switched to authoring and selling books on Amazon. Do Amazon business. They print and send the books for you. Very good system they have set up. My cousin has his own business that just produces these books daily and sells them on Amazon. With the amount of Amazon affiliate on the Internet, you can't really go wrong. The problem with eBay was the whole buying and selling mess that usually cut into profits.

By the way, if your real name is Steve Chang, we seem to share the same last name.
Totally agree. I got out of Ebay because I could make $20 bucks selling one thing on Ebay, then lose $30 bucks NOT selling 20 other things. They cut into profit too much. They charge to list (whether it sells or not), then they charge a commission on sales.

I'm doing the Kindle books as well. I'm averaging about $90 bucks a year, but I'm also not doing heavy advertising and blogging to promote my stuff. Plus, I've only got 4 books in circulation - all non-fiction.

Also, Amazon has a program where for $30 bucks a month - or $360 per year - you can sell almost anything; you are, basically, setting up your own Internet storefront on the world's biggest online retailer. I haven't done this yet as I am still trying to get my product(s) together.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
Hello,

Thanks

I would rethink the entire ebay thing. It used to be good for what you want to do however, they will currently fee you to the point of losing money. Find somewhere else that is currently more reputable. I've sold on amazon before and was quite happy with it but it has been a long time so I am not familiar with the current selling climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business