Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,851 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have a website that has almost no income. its mainly a hobby, but I am looking to get a business license because in the video game world you must have one to attend events.

My problem is I have no idea what type to get.

I want the business to have its own name, and I want to have control over it.

I will have people "working" for me, but understand there is no income.

I also want to be able to get tax deductions for traveling costs.

Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM

297 posts, read 726,468 times
In states with sales tax, there is a business tax license. Check with city/state.

Or if you have a business name like "A-1 Gizmos", then you would get a "DBA" (Doing Business As) from the state.

Or if a corporation, then from the state.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikana View Post
...I am looking to get a business license because in the video game world you must have one to attend events. My problem is I have no idea what type to get.
I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say they'll want to see a license that directly relates to video gaming. Owning an arcade might seem to work but I suspect that isn't right.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Let me give you some more info!

I am from Indiana, and my website is pretty much a blog where we review games, and talk about news.

To attend the events you need a license to make sure you not just getting a free ride.

Ive tried getting a license through the website
Secretary of State Business Entity Registration

and I cant figure out which one i need...

I dont see a DBA on the list

Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Secretary of State : Business Division: An Entrepreneur's Guide to Starting A Business in Indiana

Read this- it has just about everything you need to know about starting a business in Indiana.

Secretary of State Business Entity Registration

It appears as if you can check the availability of your business name on this web site.

If I were in your shoes I would consider starting out as a sole proprietorship with a business trade name. You might consider applying for an EIN to use in your business (to protect your social security number).

The way it works in Tennessee is you register your DBA name with the state. If you are not subject to sales tax collection you do not need to worry about registering with the department of revenue.

In Tennessee you can go to the county clerks office to register your business- Not sure how it is done in Indiana but it is probably similar.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
People get business licenses to be able to buy wholesale, and the states
don't like that. Check the regulations, you may find that they require you to show a certain minimum sales amount or will cancel your license. They don't care if you make a profit, just that you are actually a business.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Well after reading that I still have some questions.

It seems like I want to make an LLC.

My question is can I still use my traveling costs as a deductible , but more importantly can the other people on my team use their traveling costs as a deductible.

Since the LLC wont have much if any income, im guessing i will still have to file a return, but with no income.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
To deduct travel, you must have a valid office as a start point. For most people that means a dedicated room in the house that is devoid of all personal stuff, to fit the tax code. A trip direct from home to another city is not generally deductible as travel.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
To deduct travel, you must have a valid office as a start point. For most people that means a dedicated room in the house that is devoid of all personal stuff, to fit the tax code. A trip direct from home to another city is not generally deductible as travel.
You are discussing two separate tax issues.

1) In order to take a home office deduction you must meet the requirements you mentioned.

2) You do not need to meet the home office deduction requirements to classify your home as your principle place of business. If your principal place of business is your home you can deduct travel to client sites or meetings.

You do not need an "official" office- you just need a principle place of business.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You are discussing two separate tax issues.

1) In order to take a home office deduction you must meet the requirements you mentioned.

2) You do not need to meet the home office deduction requirements to classify your home as your principle place of business. If your principal place of business is your home you can deduct travel to client sites or meetings.

You do not need an "official" office- you just need a principle place of business.

One thing I suggest anyone engaged in business do is purchase a small business tax guide. Unless you are going to engage the services of a CPA for tax planning the tax guide is very handy to own.

Kipplinger has a good one (easy to read) which would address the questions posed by the O.P. regarding what type of business entity would be the best choice.

If you want really detail legalese the the Federal tax guide put out by Thomson- Reuters is a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business