U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 15,264 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in the process of starting my own "ironing service". I have been considering several choices concerning location, such as: from home, renting a storage unit that has electricity included, or renting a office that has utilities included. I am leaning more towards the last option because there are offices available for rent (utilities included) within my price range where the bldg. is located very close to a very busy laundrymat. I am in Dothan, AL. I am also in the process of completing my business plan so when I have a good client base, I can then begin to expand into my own bldg. and add a drive-thru, also using a great business plan I may be able to attract an investor when I am ready to expand. Any ideas and/or comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I did a poll for this type of service and surprisingly there are many people out there who would definitely use this type of service. I have looked at all of the laundrymats in the surrounding area and have found the busiest one, but there are no available spaces to rent, however, there is an office complex across the street that I can rent, and I am looking at that option.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,464,096 times
Who will be your clients - the laundromats or individuals? If it's individuals, then I would think you would do best picking up and dropping off at people's homes, though then you're dealing with lots of associated costs. I just don't think people would bring their wrinkled clothes somewhere and ten go pick them up later. It makes more sense to be the ironing contractor for laundromats because of the volume.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM

5,003 posts, read 7,143,297 times
If this service is available in your city, you might be able to get some leads by signing up on it:

Task & Errand Service By Awesome, Trustworthy People | TaskRabbit

Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Who will be your clients - the laundromats or individuals? If it's individuals, then I would think you would do best picking up and dropping off at people's homes, though then you're dealing with lots of associated costs. I just don't think people would bring their wrinkled clothes somewhere and ten go pick them up later. It makes more sense to be the ironing contractor for laundromats because of the volume.
Thank you for your response, you have given me some other things to consider.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
If this service is available in your city, you might be able to get some leads by signing up on it:

Task & Errand Service By Awesome, Trustworthy People | TaskRabbit
Thank you for the website, the service is currently not in my city, but I did put in the request.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,975 times
Do the dry cleaners in your area not do ironing?

I would think most dry cleaners iron so why would someone come to you who can only iron as opposed to a dry cleaner who can clean their clothes, stitch and repair their clothes, iron and do everything all in one place?

The one thing I can see you maybe offering is delivery like someone else mentioned this gives you a legup on the dry cleaners if they don't deliver.

Just seems like too limited of a business. Dry cleaners provide ironging along with a lot of other services where as you will only do ironing.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM

26,509 posts, read 33,843,438 times
So you can show use for such a service. Being there is not a courier service to deliver and run things across town. That would be a great area to expand into as well. You can use the courier service to pick up and drop off items. You can also offer that to others who may or may not need ironing done.

Law office needs papers run to the courthouse. Or company needs parts delivered to a customer etc. You can pay the driver or Courier per job plus mileage. Require they have adequate insurance coverage their own reliable transportation and be bonded.

It would be a win for your main business and addition service to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or