U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM

36 posts, read 99,325 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm not posting this in the education section because I want my audience to be business folks.

I'm trying to figure out why people give me the deer in the headlight look when I tell them I have a BS in Management Information Systems.

I've come to the conclusion that HR folks and people in general need to be educated as to what this degree is and how I can contribute to a company. I'm not trying to sound arrogant so sorry if I'm coming across as that. Not my intention. I feel like there needs to be an ambassador for my degree because everyone I run into has no clue.

Without going to google, yahoo, etc... can anyone tell me what they think an MIS degree is? (Don't cheat ) I can say Accounting, Economics, or Political Science and everyone knows what it is, but if I say Management Information Systems, or Information Systems Management people have no clue.

For kicks, once I receive a few responses, I'm going to post all of my MIS classes that I've taken to give a better sense of what it is.

In case you are wondering, yes I am working in the field where MIS degrees are mostly seen so my peers know. Every field should know what an MIS degree is because everyone uses one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 AM

141 posts, read 293,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu Warrior View Post
Hi all,

I'm not posting this in the education section because I want my audience to be business folks.

I'm trying to figure out why people give me the deer in the headlight look when I tell them I have a BS in Management Information Systems.

I've come to the conclusion that HR folks and people in general need to be educated as to what this degree is and how I can contribute to a company. I'm not trying to sound arrogant so sorry if I'm coming across as that. Not my intention. I feel like there needs to be an ambassador for my degree because everyone I run into has no clue.

Without going to google, yahoo, etc... can anyone tell me what they think an MIS degree is? (Don't cheat ) I can say Accounting, Economics, or Political Science and everyone knows what it is, but if I say Management Information Systems, or Information Systems Management people have no clue.

For kicks, once I receive a few responses, I'm going to post all of my MIS classes that I've taken to give a better sense of what it is.

In case you are wondering, yes I am working in the field where MIS degrees are mostly seen so my peers know. Every field should know what an MIS degree is because everyone uses one.
My guess
It has to do with computers and networking systems. You learn how to use SQL and run/setup companies networks / servers. I'd hire you to run my company's network.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM

6,763 posts, read 10,794,057 times
Let me share MY perception of what a person with a MIS degree is.

This individual would work with information technology in developing and reporting on business data useful for managerial purposes.

Some of the systems of the top of my head would be SAP, Oracle (?), A/S 400 systems ect.....

I would not see this as a relevant skill set for smaller businesses but rather larger corporations.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,221,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu Warrior View Post

It is a degree given to those who qualified to Manage other people,
who work in Information Systems that manage other persons
company information ( Public or Private ) .

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

8,395 posts, read 6,624,101 times
I have a MIS degree. I've never experience a HR person asking what that degree means. It could be different if you are not applying for a field that is not related.

A few reasons that I may not be experiencing people's questions is because I live in a Business Parkway where IBM, Nortel and other major companies are located. I also live in the Duke and UNC.

Can you provide more information about the specific job and located?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,604,567 times
People I've talked to thinks it's just working with computers. I tell them its basically working 1/2 business and 1/2 techwork.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM

297 posts, read 685,722 times
Actually a management "information system" could be a box of paper index cards!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,543,447 times
In the northeast, most people know what it is. You use information technology to gather and analyze data for management to use during the decision making process. There's a lot of heavy math involved.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM

29,042 posts, read 48,363,793 times
I would guess "Master of Information Science," only because I have the MLIS degree - another about which nobody has any clue, and which stands for "Master of Library and Information Science." But I see now it's a BS in MIS, so that would be an incorrect guess... but yes, I do understand what the IS means!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,543,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I would guess "Master of Information Science," only because I have the MLIS degree - another about which nobody has any clue, and which stands for "Master of Library and Information Science." Am I correct?
I've never heard of MLIS until now. What is involved in that degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business