U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,370,844 times

Advertisements

During my life as a REAL businessman, I have always been amazed at people who consider themselves businessmen/businesswomen, but yet, they don't even run a business, or never even built one! Hell, they never even bought an existing business and ran it!

I'm so sick of these people! For example:

Case 1. I knew a woman who said she was in business for herself (boasting about it) and that she makes pastries (mind you, she has no bakery and makes only a handful of cakes a year!) and come to find out she went through a divorce and had to get a full time job because she lost the husband who was paying her bills. In other words, she was a stay at home wife, but she was posing to the public that she was a businesswoman.

Case 2. I know of a gentleman who got involved with a muti level marking scam for a few months then quit because he made NO MONEY in it. But yet, when he's pressed for his background qualifications, or when he feels like boasting to someone, he tells people that he was a businessman, and that he has experience in running a business.

Case 3. I know of another gentleman who worked for the Government all his life and is now retired collecting a pension. He survives entirely off his pension, but yet, when he meets women, or hell, anybody, he tells them that he's a businessman based on his little odd projects that he has on the side that have never generated any actual successes OVER DECADES!

And I could go on! But the point is, these people are LIARS, and they are trying to accept credit for accomplishments that they have never actually achieved!

These people remind me of guys who walk around telling others that they were a Navy Seal but yet they never really were. There are so many people that lie and say they were a Navy Seal there are news articles written about it.

Example: Pastor admits lying about being Navy SEAL - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Let me spell it out for you, you're a real business when you sell an actual product, or service, in repeat fashion over and over again with some form of predicable consistency. Also, you need to be generating at least a few thousand dollars each year, otherwise, what you really have is a HOBBY. And lastly, it needs to be your OWN BRAND.

Also, people who prepare taxes, real estate agents who don't own their own company, people who are involved with multi-level marking and so forth; I don't care what people tell you, you're NOT really in business for yourself!

What you are is an employee that has been given the power to make up your own schedule (while you solicit their product and use their established trademark name) which as a result makes you feel like you are in business for yourself, but when it all boils down to it you're just an extension of that company and I doubt you would be successful if you started your OWN LINE independent of that company.

Rant Over!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM

297 posts, read 685,869 times
Actually they say you have not been in business until you have made a payroll (for your employees)...

One day I met a businessman who altered that saying. He pointed out that businesses typically have "hurdles" to jump. And mentioned the time he was just starting out in business and made weekly payrolls. Then one particular week, several big customers did not pay on time and there was not enough money to make the payroll...

So he said "You are not in business until you have NOT made a payroll"!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,551,604 times
The IRS disagrees with you. And what's up with needing your own brand? That's not a requirement for being a business owner and never will be.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,991,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
During my life as a REAL businessman, I have always been amazed at people who consider themselves businessmen/businesswomen, but yet, they don't even run a business, or never even built one! Hell, they never even bought an existing business and ran it!

Case 1. I knew a woman who said she was in business for herself (boasting about it) and that she makes pastries (mind you, she has no bakery and makes only a handful of cakes a year!) and come to find out she went through a divorce and had to get a full time job because she lost the husband who was paying her bills. In other words, she was a stay at home wife, but she was posing to the public that she was a businesswoman.

Case 2. I know of a gentleman who got involved with a muti level marking scam for a few months then quit because he made NO MONEY in it. But yet, when he's pressed for his background qualifications, or when he feels like boasting to someone, he tells people that he was a businessman, and that he has experience in running a business.

Case 3. I know of another gentleman who worked for the Government all his life and is now retired collecting a pension. He survives entirely off his pension, but yet, when he meets women, or hell, anybody, he tells them that he's a businessman based on his little odd projects that he has on the side that have never generated any actual successes OVER DECADES!

And I could go on! But the point is, these people are LIARS, and they are trying to accept credit for accomplishments that they have never actually achieved!

These people remind me of guys who walk around telling others that they were a Navy Seal but yet they never really were. There are so many people that lie and say they were a Navy Seal there are news articles written about it.

Let me spell it out for you, you're a real business when you sell an actual product, or service, in repeat fashion over and over again with some form of predicable consistency. Also, you need to be generating at least a few thousand dollars each year, otherwise, what you really have is a HOBBY. And lastly, it needs to be your OWN BRAND.

Also, people who prepare taxes, real estate agents who don't own their own company, people who are involved with multi-level marking and so forth; I don't care what people tell you, you're NOT really in business for yourself!

What you are is an employee that has been given the power to make up your own schedule (while you solicit their product and use their established trademark name) which as a result makes you feel like you are in business for yourself, but when it all boils down to it you're just an extension of that company and I doubt you would be successful if you started your OWN LINE independent of that company.

Rant Over!

I have to agree - There are many people who are temps or contractors - who are effectively disguised employees but get paid a daily rate and run a limited company to save on tax - and do exactly the same thing as an employee and sit at a desk working for the same client year after year- but often describe themselves as consultants or business owners.

Whilst there genuine consultants with Niche skills, who work for other client - I just can bear these types who describe themselves as running their own business.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,620,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

Rant Over!
Yes a lot of people lie but you are wrong with your definition of a real business. Anyway who said all businesses have to be sucessful in order to be real? Haven't you heard that most small business fail during their first 2 years of operation?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 AM

6,766 posts, read 10,800,325 times
LOL- I would hardly equate someone who claims to run or have run a business that does not meet your specific definition of the term to someone who claims to have been a Navy Seal.

I don't get it. Why would it upset you if someone claims to be a business person? Seems like a pretty petty concern to me.

The way I define the term is if you are required to file a business tax return with the IRS then you could probably define what you do as a "business".

Since we are ranting I will share my favorite business rant. I refuse to do business with or work with businesses that use religion as a marketing tool. My thoughts on it are that if you have to slap a little Jesus into your marketing it is likely the product of service lacks the quality or value to stand on its own.....Rant off

Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM

835 posts, read 3,825,993 times

Rant Over!

Add to this most- not all because nothing is absolute- franchise "owners".

Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,389,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The IRS disagrees with you. And what's up with needing your own brand? That's not a requirement for being a business owner and never will be.
exactly. i know someone who owns 15 franchise grocery stores... does that mean he's not "in business" for a living?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 AM

927 posts, read 2,332,294 times
This thread is pointless. Who cares? If someone wants to say they are in business to someone else, how does that effect you?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 4,589,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
This thread is pointless. Who cares? If someone wants to say they are in business to someone else, how does that effect you?
Yeah, really.

For example, Case 1 is a sad story. I can imagine the woman is just trying to keep up appearances for her own feelings. I doubt that she is boasting about being a business-woman out of arrogance or a feeling of superiority. Buy some of her pastries; help her out! Don't point out the obvious.

In some parts of our society it seems that people love to jump on the band-wagon and put down those who are already down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business