Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
So are you saying there's more of a chance of people changing their minds about buying something after they've had a chance to get a close look at it? I'll try to sell new stuff that I find from closeout sources. Maybe they'll be fewer issues with something new.
I am saying ulterior motive,do not need strangers on property or driving by.Not a nice world anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Originally Posted by Motion
So are you saying there's more of a chance of people changing their minds about buying something after they've had a chance to get a close look at it? I'll try to sell new stuff that I find from closeout sources. Maybe they'll be fewer issues with something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am saying ulterior motive,do not need strangers on property or driving by.Not a nice world anymore.
You can not sell anything locally, even in your local paper, or on the Church bulletin board without people coming to your house.
If you are that scared then do not sell.

Local sales from Craigslist are final. No returns. Once they see the description and photo you posted on your CL ad, and they have come to your house (or met you at the police station or where ever) then once they pay, and are gone, the sale is final. Always demonstrate any electrical device. I sold a couple microwaves. I had a microwave popcorn pack ready to go, to show people that what I was selling was not junk.

There is no final sale on Ebay for along time. People on Ebay say keep your postal receipts for a year. There is some time limit, I think 45 days for a buyer to file a claim that the item was not as described. There is a time limit to leave a feedback. That may be 90 days.
There are new rules on Ebay, a seller can not leave a negative feedback for a buyer not matter the reason why the buyer deserves a negative.

I hate to tell the true story on this forum, but I will since there are no names. I sold an item and the buyer did not pay. The price was about $5-$6. Using advanced search, I was able to monitor the buying and bidding and paying and feedback activity of this buyer. While the days went by and I was not paid, they kept buying items and paying and getting and leaving feedback for sellers. I sent invoices, e-mails, a phone call, and a letter to their house. The latter of course when there were no other ways to try to communicate with the buyer. I tried everything and allowed plenty of time. Well, I had to file unpaid buyer and they got a strike against their account. 3 strikes and you can be suspended. Since Ebay does not want to suspend anyone the unpaid buyer's strikes were a JOKE.
Ebay reversed the strike for my buyer because they told Ebay, that they had miscarried a baby. Biggest lie to be told by an Ebay buyer, ever.

Another bad case of an idiot buyer happened recently. I sent a guy his item. He got it in 3 business days. I'm on the east coast and he was in Ca.
Good shipping time. Right?
WRONG! This idiot filed a claim against me because my item stated first class shipping and I used parcel post. He said I violated the terms of the contract. He was not complaining about whether the item was as described, or the fact that he got it in 3 business days which is the time frame for "first class" mail. He gave me a negative feedback and I called Ebay. I got the same song and dance joke of advice you always get when you call them. They could not reverse the negative without the buyer's consent. I completely and accurately described the item and he raises hell because he got the package in 3 days by parcel post and not first class. I told this idiot the day he paid, that the actuall shipping was $2.00 more than what he paid and the item would be shipped parcel post. I was taking a loss as it was. He never said anything.

So, on Ebay you can expect people that do not pay for all sorts of reasons.
As well as undeserved negative feedbacks.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,627 times
Its very easy to make money in F4. Even easier than F3. Doing the career, rivals mode, private races. Plus your performance parts are free after only about 30 minutes of racing with that car. Money is much easier in F4.

If all else fails the AH is also very good if you know what you are doing in there.

Business and Professional Women's Foundation

Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well ebay owns craigs list and paypal.
Craigs is fee free so you lose no money to seller fees. Craigs list attracts a lot of scammers. For every 25 responces one may be a real buyer.
Ebay gouges you for seller fees and paypal fees. Ebay exposes your goods worldwide. So the fees can be offset with more bidders.

Since when does ebay own craigslist? What did I miss?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since when does ebay own craigslist? What did I miss?
It's an inaccurate statement. eBay swindled a minority share of craigslist out of one of the owners.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
Craigslist is best for large and/or heavy items (furniture, lamps, framed pictures, etc.) because the shipping can be either too expensive or too much of a hassle. Small items that aren't too cheap are good for Ebay (jewelry, antiques, clothing, books, etc.). If they are under say $10, it's not really worth your time dealing with Ebay unless you have many of the same thing to sell over and over with one listing (closeout books, items you bought in bulk). Otherwise, you can spend an hour and make $2.

I've done well on both, but found most real craigslist buyers don't haggle, have cash, and are easy to deal with. With Ebay, buyers can be very high maintenance and "nitpicky" sometimes. Just don't sell really pricy stuff like jewelry or expensive antiques on craigslist. That can definitely be asking for trouble.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 44,421 times
I think the way they differ is thru their interface. CL is more on conventional type of transaction which is face to face and the other one Ebay is more on online transaction and communication.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,756 times
ebay really has gone to **** b/w the fees and sellers getting screwed
i use them occasionally to sell something like an old laptop or whatever bc i dont want to deal with meeting weirdos on craigs list- but i think they really suck if youre trying to make serious money using it
i mean right away you lose 10-12%, have no rights at all and compete with other people selling the same stuff (for the most part) at the same price

Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
ebay really has gone to **** b/w the fees and sellers getting screwed
i use them occasionally to sell something like an old laptop or whatever bc i dont want to deal with meeting weirdos on craigs list- but i think they really suck if youre trying to make serious money using it
i mean right away you lose 10-12%, have no rights at all and compete with other people selling the same stuff (for the most part) at the same price
I'm a seller on ebay and don't feel screwed. Infact, I have a 100% success rate with seller protection. And with fees as low as 10 to 13%, it's a bargain.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If so do you make more using CL for this vs ebay?
I've have used both, it's a toss up which is better. With Craigslist you don't have to give a percentage to Craig's list like you do with Ebay/Paypal, but the market place is FAR larger when selling on Ebay. You might find someone willing to pay more on Ebay, making the percentage cut worth it. There's always a chance you'll run across someone looking to rob you when dealing with Craig's list. I've probably sold only 10 items on Craislist, and 200 on Ebay. You can say that Ebay is more secure, but I've had people try to scam me on Ebay, fortunately other than shipping to Mexico and having some of the items removed from the box (probably Mexican customs) I've never been successfully scammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Of course the shipping fees would be outrageous, but people seemed to not pay attention to that.
The Average Ebay buyer is a Moron, When the Xbox 360 was coming out sellers were selling just the Empty box and people were bidding hundreds of dollars for them, even though it clearly stated in the description the auction was for the empty box only. I email one of the winning bidders and asked him if he realized he just brought and empty box. He replied he thought he won an auction for a Xbox 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
eBay does not gouge you for seller fees and paypal fees. They charge you about 13% to 16% for most items. That's hardly gouging.
LOL, your joking right. It cost them next to nothing to run there servers. The are making a KILLING. When I was actively selling a couple of years ago, the Ebay/Paypal fees totaled 9% (for $100 plus sales even), if they are charging up to 16% now, they are making even more now. I wager they could charge as little as 3% and still make a healthy profit. The market is saturated now, no more growth, the only way the can push there profits higher every year is to charge sellers a higher percentages. If they keep increasing there percentages, eventually sellers will go to alternative auction sites. It used to be possible to pay with check or money order when buying items on ebay, but they ended that, they force everyone to use Paypal now, more profits for them.

Last edited by TechGromit; 05-08-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business