Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,633,677 times

Advertisements

We(people selling on ebay that i know) call it feebay now. Ebay charges to list(unless running a promotion) then they charge a % of the final sale, then if you use paypal they charge a transaction fee. Not only; that buy paypal holds your funds for a time to make sure the buyer doesent claim he didnt get his item. I call paypal gaypal now. Ive contemplated switching to amazon but I like the auction style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,989,853 times
Talking about "stupid buyers". I sell American Girl brand doll clothes on eBay. Occassionally, I used to put the clothes on a doll to "model" the outfit in some of the photographs. It looks especially nice to see exactly how the pieces look together rather than just laying flat on a table.

I clearly wrote several places in each listing that the doll was not included but just used as a model. Well, twice I had irrate buyers giving me negative feedback and complaining to eBay when they only received the outfit and not the outfit and the doll. First of all AG dolls cost $80 to $100 new so why would I be selling a new outfit and doll for $15 or $20? Also, both times it appeared that the preteen or young teen daughter was the one reading the ad and making the purchase.

Ebay refused to delete the negative feedback even though it was clearly the buyers error. That dropped me from receiving the (few) perks of being a top ranked seller. Arrrgggg!
Now, I never use a doll to model any doll clothes.

Because of the poor economy my eBay sales have significantly decreased over the past 2 or 3 years, but I still make enough to keep my store.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,633,677 times
Ive been thinking a lot about this. I just launched a store on amazon and on ebay, trying both out.
Amazon is better for me. They take a nice commission for themselves but its only once. Ebay takes several fees out along the course of your sale, and you pay even if the item does not sell. Secondly you can leave your item up for as long as it takes to sell where i think ebays longest amount of time is 10 days. I signed up for amazon prime which is 80 bucks a year including one free month and you can list as many items as you want as far as Im aware. So far I have 110 items up on amazon. Now If i were to list those on ebay that would cost me roughly 44 dollars without even selling one item.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,746,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I clearly wrote several places in each listing that the doll was not included but just used as a model. Well, twice I had irrate buyers giving me negative feedback and complaining to eBay when they only received the outfit and not the outfit and the doll.
I used to edit the photo so it said my Ebay Name and date on the photo. This was to prove the A. It was a current photo of the product I was selling, and B. To prevent other people from stealing my image to use on there own auctions. I don't see why you can't do the same thing for your photos. Have "Doll NOT Included" at the bottom of all the photos you have posted.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,670 times
I hate to tell the true story on this forum, but I will since there are no names. I sold an item and the buyer did not pay. The price was about $5-$6. Using advanced search, I was able to monitor the buying and bidding and paying and feedback activity of this buyer. While the days went by and I was not paid, they kept buying items and paying and getting and leaving feedback for sellers. I sent invoices, e-mails, a phone call, and a letter to their house. The latter of course when there were no other ways to try to communicate with the buyer. I tried everything and allowed plenty of time. Well, I had to file unpaid buyer and they got a strike against their account. 3 strikes and you can be suspended. Since Ebay does not want to suspend anyone the unpaid buyer's strikes were a JOKE.
Ebay reversed the strike for my buyer because they told Ebay, that they had miscarried a baby. Biggest lie to be told by an Ebay buyer, ever.

Ok so I hate forums because they are usually started by or used by people who have had bad experiences that doesnt really give you an unbiased opinion of a service, but here is my two cents...How do you know she didn't have a miscarriage and what item were you selling that a miscarriage would void the sale? If that really was the case she would have to show proof. I bought an item but then that night I had a kidney stone and was not able to complete the sale, when I got home I explained it to E-Bay who asked for a doctors note, which I sent them and I never got negative feedback. I've been successfully selling on e-bay for more than 3 years, yes there are pro's and con's to E-bay as I'm sure there is with any site. Bottom line is if you are honest in your ad, 99% of the people will be fine. I've sold 250 items and have only had a problem with 1, it was a CPU for a computer, the buyer paid and when I tested it before I sent it, it didn't work. The buyer was upset even though I refunded his money. He filed a complaint against me but I told e-bay I did not have anymore, i was allowed to add my comment to his complaint. That was a year ago and I'm still selling just as much as I was before.

Another bad case of an idiot buyer happened recently. I sent a guy his item. He got it in 3 business days. I'm on the east coast and he was in Ca.
Good shipping time. Right?
WRONG! This idiot filed a claim against me because my item stated first class shipping and I used parcel post. He said I violated the terms of the contract. He was not complaining about whether the item was as described, or the fact that he got it in 3 business days which is the time frame for "first class" mail. He gave me a negative feedback and I called Ebay. I got the same song and dance joke of advice you always get when you call them. They could not reverse the negative without the buyer's consent. I completely and accurately described the item and he raises hell because he got the package in 3 days by parcel post and not first class. I told this idiot the day he paid, that the actuall shipping was $2.00 more than what he paid and the item would be shipped parcel post. I was taking a loss as it was. He never said anything.

So, on Ebay you can expect people that do not pay for all sorts of reasons.
As well as undeserved negative feedbacks.[/quote]

Whether it's on e-bay or in a retail store your going to get people that find something wrong. I've had more than my fair share of unhappy people but through phone calls or e-mails I have taken care of them and in the end they were satisfied. I find it VERY hard to believe that E-bay would allow a strike against you for this shipping....seems like there is more to the story. You should always have a receipt of when the item is sent, whether it's a tracking number or a receipt from the PO. It's just good business, I've had people pissed at me for shipping but once I talked to them and we figured out the problem was caused by the carrier and not me then everything was fine. In fact the only reason I am looking into Craigs list is because my wife wants me to sell a ring which is outside of my normal selling practice. There's never been an E-Bay killer.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
We(people selling on ebay that i know) call it feebay now. Ebay charges to list(unless running a promotion) then they charge a % of the final sale, then if you use paypal they charge a transaction fee. Not only; that buy paypal holds your funds for a time to make sure the buyer doesent claim he didnt get his item. I call paypal gaypal now. Ive contemplated switching to amazon but I like the auction style.
Gaypal? Really........I agree the fee's are a joke. Look around paypal though there is a way to lift the hold, it's very easy.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads78 View Post
Since Ebay does not want to suspend anyone the unpaid buyer's strikes were a JOKE.
It is a Joke, if Ebay was neck and neck with another internet auction company, they get killed in no time at all. The only reason they can pull the kind of crap they do it they are so big they have no real competition. They are kinda like a bully they push sellers around, they do it cause they can. What ever they can do to push there profit margins ever higher.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM

385 posts, read 356,931 times
what happens when you sell an item for a total of 25 cents on ebay.(including shipping)

Does paypal take everything since there take is .30 cents minimum?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16trillionandcounting View Post
what happens when you sell an item for a total of 25 cents on Ebay.(including shipping)
No idea, I never understood why people sold things for 1 cent on Ebay. Usually they try to overcharge you on the shipping, but even with that, how much profit can they possibly be making? If it takes me an hour to write and ad, take photos, package and figure out shipping is for each item, I want to make at least minimum wage if not more for my trouble per hour. Otherwise it's not worth my bother, I'd be better off getting a part time job at McDonalds.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,246,825 times
We sell on eBay, and we're rethinking it with the new Top Rated Seller rules to take effect on June 1. Also, the fees are ever-increasing, and seller protections are laughable. Since our items are almost entirely used or refurbished, we don't offer returns on most items. We rarely have a problem with a buyer, and we always work with them when things go wrong.

We feel like eBay is trying to chase off the people who made them popular in the first place - the small seller, selling flea market type merchandise. They're about to succeed with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business