Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times

Advertisements

Ever since Ebay pretty much completely turned in to an extension of Paypal, I wouldnt touch the site.

On the contrary, Ive gotten a cat and a guitar from Craigslist and both transactions were smooth and local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Amazon > ebay for year round sales. No listing fees. Yes they take a hefty chunk of your profits as commission but you can leave your item up there forever until it sells and you can list as many items as you want for 75 bucks a year. I currently have 500+ comic books up for sale and have been making around 300 bucks a month after commissions.

Secondly i havent had one bad customer who tried to rip me off like the ebayers saying that they didnt recieve this or that. Thirdly if you message them they actually will leave positive feedback for you. I use to be so scared of paypal and those untrustworthy customers that shipping would always cost me extra since i would attach a tracking number to every package as proof that i sent and that they recieved.

Four, they have a bigger customer base that they bring to you to shop

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
My husband had some luck recently as a seller with eBay. He sold an old Walkman for parts. The ad clearly stated it was for parts and that the working status of it was unknown, assumed not to be working. Of course, a moron/scammer bids on it, gets it, then whines that it doesn't work. Files negative feedback, tries to get her money back from PayPal. eBay looked into it after he called to complain about this person. They decided to delete her negative feedback and told her to go pound sand. If she didn't want the item, she could send it back for a refund at her expense, but that was her only recourse.

Just a recent anecdote.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
I was trying for a while to sell car parts on craigslist for a while, but I gave up when I got nothing but emails about car loans, car insurance, and car financing.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I have done both. Criagslist - most ot the time you can go weeks with no response. Or someone responds and wnats to come look, so you sit around waiting and they do not show up. Or you play it safe and meet them in some public place, and they do nto show up. We have also had some success selling on Craigslist. We like it because you do nto have to mess around with packing and shipping.

Ebay - transactions for electronics are almost always a rip off on either side. Buyers find or invent something to complain about and pll their payment back form Paypal. Thenthey say they will return the computer if you pay shipping and a hefty packin fee. I imagine they simply keep the packing fee, postage and your computer. Paypal is worthless for disputes. E-bay is no help either. You are going to lose some of your merchandise, it is just a cost of doing business, just like theft if you have a store. Packing and shipping are a PIA.

Overall we often get better prices on E-bay and the auction format means you do not have to guess at a valid price, and then keep resisting it at different prices until a buyer materializes. Craigslist is faster and easier, but more dangerous. Do you really want to invite some stranger to your house/?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Ebay also has free classifieds. I havent sold anything on regular EBay in years. I use CL, Ebay classifieds and the classifieds in different forums like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business