Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,140 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about starting a personal care home (in your own home) for senior citizens? Like 3 of 4 senior citizens, living there full-time. I am a RN, and so can dispense medications and other treatments under the auspices of a licensed physician.

I'm thinking this is a great idea, however, I'm starting on a shoestring.

TIA

Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
See what is required in your State for this type of care. Whether or not you would have to have a license, certain equipment, etc. I think you will also be restricted as to how many you can keep.

It might be easier to start a day care for the elderly at first and then develop that into a personal care home.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,419,851 times
I would think the two biggest items are liability and other business insurance, and personnel issues. You will not be able to be 24/7 and thus need employees.

Your home will need to be zoned for such use and this is often a killer.

I have seen it before and it was very helpful for those involved. One attorney had his parent in such a personal care home. But there are loads of things to consider since you will be taking payment for services.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 AM

2,500 posts, read 6,294,955 times
My big old 1860's brick used to be a nursing home in the 50's . Lots of big old houses used to be nursing homes. Then they passed some law about sprinklers etc and it cost too much to retrofit so most of them closed.

Id be careful how you word stuff. Otherwise you will have to meet nursing home codes. Im thinking maybe over 55 shared living/boarding house etc. And list as handicapped accessable. Ask an elder care atty for specifics.

Then charge separately for your nursing services. Also that way someone who needed miniumal care wouldnt be paying the same as someone who needed care 24/7. Also if that peson needed additional care it could be billed directly to them.

Also heres something else to consider. Because my Mom is low income and rents she recieves services from medicaid. Meals on wheels, transportation to doctor, an aide 3 hrs a day 5 days a week to do light cleaning and help with bathing etc.

Check with your county. Maybe they will pay you instead of the aide if your person is a renter. If not then maybe you can get some of these services for your renters and save them $$$ and you some$$$ and time. Moms aide is not skilled she just cleans some, washes clothes, takes out trash, etc and helps her take a shower etc.

And defintely check with an attorney on liability issues about renters.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 09-16-2007 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Also check your home owners insurance policy. It may be restrictive as to what you can cover if you have live in guests of this type. Insurance premiums could eat up a lot of money.

Are your doors wide enough for wheelchairs? What about the bathrooms?

The bottom line is probably going to be that you would make more money taking care of someone in their own home, rather than 2 or 3 in your home.

Of course, you can always do it quietly without going through all the steps, but if something were to happen, the family might decide to sue you for every dime you have. And under those circumstances, they would win.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,772,140 times
Thank you ALL! You've given me some good ideas.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 AM

57 posts, read 234,324 times
Have you thought about joining an elder care franchise?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,490,188 times
Also, what about an elder care "day care"? I know some of the rec centers near home have senior day cares...

that way you wouldn't have to worry about evening care - but could help people during the day (when their relatives are at work, or out of the house)...

good luck!! sounds like a very needed business model!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Does anyone know anything about starting a personal care home (in your own home) for senior citizens? Like 3 of 4 senior citizens, living there full-time. I am a RN, and so can dispense medications and other treatments under the auspices of a licensed physician.

I'm thinking this is a great idea, however, I'm starting on a shoestring.

TIA
three things will happen.
little things will begin to irritate you a lot esp feeling cooped up
if you are married in 5 years you wont be.
you will look back and see that you have done a great great work

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM

79 posts, read 285,370 times
Call your State's Social Services Department, and get info on license for Community Care Licensing (at least in California, that's what is it called.)

I believe the business is referred to as Adult Residential Facilities (ARF). There are many types, senior/adults, developmentally disabled, children, or a mixture; even mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.