U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,389,162 times

Advertisements

I work fulltime but my wife thought of this idea even though its not a new one. Buy in bulk and sell on ebay. She takes care of the kid as a fulltime mother
but has a lot of free time when the baby is sleeping. She thought this might be a good idea, so im willing to give it a shot since I wont have to do any of the work. Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

First of all has anyone ever dealth with liquidation.com?
Ive read some good and some bad reviews.

Secondly can you suggest an online wholesaler that does not require you to have a business license that sells in bulk, anything from electronics, clothes,
kitchen ware etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,325,629 times
Wholesale - Wholesale Directory - Wholesale Suppliers, Wholesalers, Distributors, Wholesale Products

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the link. I was looking through google but was wondering what people have actually used themselves. Have you used wholesalecentral personally?

I see its just a website that lists other wholesalers. I want to make sure they are reputable before spending money and finding out they charge 40 dollars fees for shipping a 3lb box. Ive done that before

Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM

87 posts, read 260,817 times
Many ebay sellers do well with this type of business. Just recommend that she look for someone willing to do drop shipment. That way you avoid having to deal with storage of merchandise and the whole PITA portion of getting things shipped. In terms of pricing, make sure to look up similar items on Ebay to see what they are selling for and if it is by Auction or Buy It Now. Finally, if she is not invested in what type of merchandise, use the Seller's help tools to see what is most in demand. Really get educated as to how people use photos and the descriptions (very, very important - especially as she develops her rep).

Another idea would be if she or anyone in your family does arts and crafts (professional - not your kids School art projects), those tend to sell. If not Ebay, there are other sites - check out Etsy.

Good luck!!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,325,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Thanks for the link. I was looking through google but was wondering what people have actually used themselves. Have you used wholesalecentral personally?

I see its just a website that lists other wholesalers. I want to make sure they are reputable before spending money and finding out they charge 40 dollars fees for shipping a 3lb box. Ive done that before

I am a manufacturer and found distributors there. The link was sent to me months ago by an acquaintance who wholesales perfume, handbags and watches.

I am in the skin care business.

That should never happen if you do your due diligence and receive written pro-formas.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

87 posts, read 260,817 times
One other thought: I have been amazed how local thrift shops are not savvy on the internet. When I approached a couple about representing them on Ebay for stuff (especially when they want to move merchandise to make room for new ones), they were absolutely open. You negotiate a percentage of the sale that covers your Seller's costs and a profit margin. They would take care of the actual shipping and the related costs.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks both, +rep. I was thinking along the same lines sluki, i have already been talking to a local consignment shop, but actually having him sell some of my stuff.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

6,333 posts, read 9,950,310 times
One word of warning - NEVER PAY A FEE to purchase so called "wholesale" products from a business. Either they are a true wholesaler or they are a middle man "posing" as a wholesaler.

One good indication they aren't a wholesaler is they post their product prices on a web page. Most true wholesalers will require you to open an account (with no fee for doing so) in order to see their price lists. ALSO, most legitimate wholesalers will require you to have a reseller certificate on file which means you have to sign up for a sales tax ID.

I looked at E-Bay but decided it wasn't a good fit for me. Paying 10.5% on every sale was a turn off. Unless you are buying right it would be difficult to turn a profit.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Went through the list. Anyone know a good place to get dvd movies or books in bulk at wholesale?
More interest in books than the dvds

Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 AM

721 posts, read 2,765,760 times
nobody is going to share this info with you as it will cut into their business. ebay is also very hard to break into, people who are already established selling are powersellers and top rated sellers they rank higher than you in searches and get discounts on ebay fees, paypal fees, and shipping fees. ebay charges anywhere between 10-13 percent depending upon your volume so keep in mind you need to make that as a margin before you even see a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business