U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM

75 posts, read 253,057 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking over the option of starting my own online business for numerous months, and I think it might be prudent to develop a plan of action just in case the fancy ever has the potential to become much, much more.

That being said, I have very little, if any, experience in business or for that matter, website-developing codes. What steps do I need to take to rectify that situation? What good resources would enable me to construct and design my own websites?

I live in TX, and have some general questions:

1. Who do I contact for 100% accurate information concerning any necessary licenses? I prefer things in writing, but understand that I may have to rely on phone calls to get detailed information. I don't want to do anything that is against any laws.

2. Would it be a good idea to sell items first on Ebay/Craigslist/Amazon/etc. prior to starting my own website? It seemed like a good option to me, because it would enable me to generate a decent market first.

3. What strategies do I use to market? What online options exist for marketing strategies? What ads provide a beneficial cost vs. benefit ratio? I understand the keyword search phenomenon, but there must be other tips that prove useful online.

4. What products (preferably at a low cost) would help me track sales, overhead costs, and etc.?

All of this said, I hate taking risks, but I love the idea of marketing something I really believe would be helpful for others. Should I look into other strategies to make additional money, such as blogging, or is business still viable for the risk-worried?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 9,972,062 times
If I were you I would start out blogging and see if you like the work (yes, it is work). For around 85 bucks you can get domain registration and a full year of hosting. Use the free wordpress.org page builder and you're good to go. At least it will give you a good understanding of how it works. You can easily sign up for affiliate programs as you go.

I hate to plug anything here but the 30 day challenge is free and it really has value.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM

6,344 posts, read 9,972,062 times
Your state should have a resource on the web about what is required to start a business. At the very minimum you would have to register as a sole proprietor and sign up for a sales tax account and set up get a resale certificate. Some people prefer an LLC but if you are just starting out you may or may not want to do this.

Craigslist- no, that is a face to face market. E-bay or Amazon might work for you (consider a yahoo store too). The big problem with Amazon and E-bay are the seller fees you have to pay on the total sale.Lets look what it does to your margin if you are selling a 100 dollar item that cost you 70. ( I am omitting the X 100 portion of the formula and assuming people will know .3 = 30%)

(100 - 70)/100 = 30% with a 15% fee - ((100- (70+(100x.15)/100=15%

(if you know how to use Excel's solver function you could quickly determine what your selling price should be when paying a sellers fee if you wanted to maintain your desired margin- in this case it would be 127.27)

You can see that your margin is cut in half in this example. In order to compete on E-bay or Amazon you are going to have to buy your product at the right price. There are volumes written on product sourcing and costs so I won't get into it but be aware that you will not find legitimate wholesalers with a google search.

Your marketing depends on where you sell but it will be a lot of SEO work. Google adwords might be something to look at if you have a stand alone website.

There are plenty of options available for inexpensive accounting programs. For around a hundred bucks you could buy something that works well for you.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,340,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
I've been thinking over the option of starting my own online business for numerous months, and I think it might be prudent to develop a plan of action just in case the fancy ever has the potential to become much, much more.
OK, some thoughts. It appears you don't want to become a web expert. You want to run a business. Visit my blog, EffectiveWebSolutions.info, from time to time. If that URL get's removed you can PM me for it. The blog talks about website stuff. Why visit? Because I only take on six-figure contracts. So, much of what I talk about there will help you for free just because I don't hide any low cost methods in the hope of charging for them.

You may want to consider going low cost while you learn. You can have a domain name and email for around $3/year (yep, $3 per year). Creating a full blown website of your own costs money unless you are a web developer. Also, you need to create a "following" for your site. All can become expensive. You should consider using pre-existing markets. EBay and such which you already mentioned are nice to use. Just don't forget to mention your site at those markets. This will help you start to build a following while you sell. You can just have a daily special or something on your site that isn't available anywhere else.

If you get a domain and email for cheap. Just start a free blog and point that domain to it. It's real easy and most free blog sites give you instructions on how to accomplish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or