Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start a business but I also work a 9 - 5.

My commute is also approximately two hours. So I get home at about 7 pm every night.

I've been coming up with ideas and would finally like to begin working on them.

Does anyone else own a small business and work full-time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Online business as long as you have access to a smart phone all day
I know a girl who has a head shop that works here full time. She emplyos 2 people to work her store.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
I am no expert but from what I understand you need full time commitment to start a side business.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I'd like to start a business but I also work a 9 - 5.

My commute is also approximately two hours. So I get home at about 7 pm every night.

I've been coming up with ideas and would finally like to begin working on them.

Does anyone else own a small business and work full-time?
I used to. You have to absolutely love the business as it will be your mistress, for sure. If you are already great at time management and don't have any major viable relationships that require your attention, go for it.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
For many people it is essential to continue to work while getting their new business up and running. It is rare that you will be able to support yourself with a new business right off the bat.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 PM

491 posts, read 2,289,974 times
So you're talking a couple hours on weekdays? What type of business? Will you steal time from your J.O.B. in order to do this?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
As already requested, it would help to know what kind of business you're considering.

I'd suggest that whatever it is, it doesn't mirror your current job.

Another thought/philosophy:
- Take your top 3 or 5 things you really like to do or are good at and prioritize them from 1 to 3 (or 5) with your absolute favorite being #1.
- Once you have that solidified, #2 or #3 should be your 9-5 job. #1 should be reserved for you as a hobby. Don't take your favorite thing to do and ruin it by making it a job. Once it's a job, you won't like it anymore so don't ruin it and keep it as fun. The remaining option (or 3 options if you did a "top 5" list) should be strongly considered for a side business. It has to be something you like and are good at or it'll just fall to the wayside.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I am no expert but from what I understand you need full time commitment to start a side business.
Bit of an oxymoron. By nature a side business is something you do on the side.. But I get what you're trying to say.

A lot of businesses require full commitment, especially sales type businesses where you have to call people and the money you make is propertional to how much time you spend in making calls. But web businesses are more flexible.

Before I started my business, I used to spend all my downtime brainstorming business ideas, and would write them down on my notepad. I would also do some online research on the sly. I always looked busy.

Not everyone can do that, some companies watch their employees like a hawk

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
It depends on the business and the hours that you have to invest into the new opperation. Can someone run your business while you are working? Can you find a partner to share the startup with? I started a facilities repair business and partnered with a guy that did similar work. My idea was to do work after I was done working. My partner worked during the day when I could not get to the customers. It worked out well for a few years. He was older and ended up having a stroke ending the partnership. I still kept the customers that I could work with during the evening and weekend hours. Still I don't see it as a business so much as a second job now. I still want to build something that will make money with others doing the work.

What ever you do create a solid business plan. Don't let people tell you it can not happen as they don't know you and the willingness that you have to build something of your own. No one knows what you can do, only you.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Lots of people do it, but it will depend of the type of business. Yes, I've started small businesses while working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business