Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,575 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do file a "C"...but that is deductions...not income.
Schedule C is profit or loss, it does include expenses but only after receipts (income)
and if your business is at all successful the bottom line is the profits on which you
have to pay income tax, transferring that amount to the schedule A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
For the rest of the country right now, just people who need it have health insurance, so they are paying like $600 per person per month (the last someone told me). But I would expect that to go way down???
There is nothing in the health care legislation to compel insurance companies to lower their current rates.

There are things in the bill that insurance companies will be forced to cover in every policy, and insurance companies will be able to raise their rates for the additional coverage.

The legislation calls for the disparity between coverage costs for men and women to be reduced or eliminated. Since there's nothing in it that makes companies lower the rates for women, I would guess that they will be raising the rates for men.

Relatively inexpensive high-deductible insurance will be going away, so people who go to the doctor once every three years for a sinus infection will be paying twice as much for PPO insurance that they don't need.

And don't forget the extra $trillion+ that this is going to cost taxpayers.

In my case, the high-deductible insurance my wife and I have used to be $349. Since the act was passed it's increased twice and is now $452. When it fully kicks in I'll be paying the fine and having no insurance because I won't be able to afford the insurance that I would be forced to buy at that time.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Well again look at Hawaii's mandatory health care system...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/17/he...pagewanted=all
Why? It's got nothing in common with the (Un)Affordable Health Care Act.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Why? It's got nothing in common with the (Un)Affordable Health Care Act.
Read the part in that Hawaii story about the low insurance premiums. This is simple math.

In other terms....

1000 people have cars.
10 people have car wrecks.

It costs $5000 for those car wrecks total.

If only the people who have car wrecks pay for insurance, it will cost those 10 people $500 a year in insurance each.

If everyone who has a car pays for insurance, it will cost each $5 a year for insurance.

That is the idea of insurance, to SPREAD the cost. So the more people who pay, the lower the rates.

The reason I am bringing this up is that people are seeing the CURRENT COST of health insurance and having a cow about having to pay that (like $600 a month per person). I am simply saying that those rates [in theory] should be much much lower if everyone is paying, so not to worry so much!

And in this case there is Hawaii. People there need healthcare the same as people everywhere else. That costs x amount of dollars. Everyone pays there. The insurance rates are very low.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Read the part in that Hawaii story about the low insurance premiums. This is simple math.

In other terms....

1000 people have cars.

If only the people who have car wrecks pay for insurance, it will cost those 10 people $500 a year in insurance each.

If everyone who has a car pays for insurance, it will cost each $5 a year for insurance.

That is the idea of insurance, to SPREAD the cost. So the more people who pay, the lower the rates.

The reason I am bringing this up is that people are seeing the CURRENT COST of health insurance and having a cow about having to pay that (like $600 a month per person). I am simply saying that those rates [in theory] should be much much lower if everyone is paying, so not to worry so much!

And in this case there is Hawaii. People there need healthcare the same as people everywhere else. That costs x amount of dollars. Everyone pays there. The insurance rates are very low.
But that's not going to be the case. The additional people who are going to be insured are mostly going to be covered by Medicaid which will have no impact on the insurance market.

IF the health care act was as simple as "You have to carry health insurance" then you are probably correct, the additional people entering the insurance pool would drive the cost down because insurance companies would be able to maintain their profits through pure volume. But that's not the case at all, there are too many additional variables that will negate any potential savings.

Frankly, it's too cumbersome a project to be done on a national scale. Period.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:

In other terms....

1000 people have cars.

Hold your horses. The Dems shrieked that we NEEDED this because at some point everyone needs healthcare.

ObamaCare:

1000 people have cars.
1000 people have car wrecks.

1000 people pay $2000 each for insurance. Ouch. Quite the hole that's been dug.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Schedule C is profit or loss, it does include expenses but only after receipts (income)
and if your business is at all successful the bottom line is the profits on which you
have to pay income tax, transferring that amount to the schedule A.
Nope....I transfer the amount to a 1040. It is always a loss.

That is why I get a "0" for income.

And that is where I get confused.

I will be able to get medicare.

It has nothing in the bill about what I own.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Nope....everyone does NOT pay car insurance.

Only those with vehicles do.

Even then....some drive uninsured.
or 'self-insured'.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Quote:
I do file a "C"...but that is deductions...not income.

A schedule "C" is definetely income. The schedule "A" form is for deductions.

Schedule "C" is 'Profit or Loss From Business'

Line 31 is for net profit (or loss) so the schedule is for income from a business. If you ar just using a schedule C for deductions as you stated, then whatever business you own is operating at a loss every year.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Nope....I transfer the amount to a 1040. It is always a loss.

That is why I get a "0" for income.

And that is where I get confused.

I will be able to get medicare.

It has nothing in the bill about what I own.
Are you confusing your terms?
Medicare is age based. You can get it only if you're 65 or older.
Medicaid is income based but the $ 0 income you maneuver your income to be won't help if you have assets worth more than the minimum allowed.
Depending on the state you are in,that can be as low as $2000 plus a cheap car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business