Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times

Advertisements

Again, I am not trying to really start a bed and breakfast. I came up with the question while I was brainstorming ideas to get around certain laws that pertain to rental housing. Could you instead of doing a normal rental, say it is being used as a bed and breakfast, but still use regular realtors to bring in renters? So essentially it is still a rental, but being disguised as a bed and breakfast. To be honest, I have not researched this much, nor have I given too much thought as to how I would apply this to my current situation. You could say this is just the first step. I was hoping you guys could help me push my thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Most of the Bead and Breakfasts that I have seen are out in the country,
in a quite rural area, ( maybe on a farm ) with a large house and many rooms.

Each person or couple would come there and rent a room
and in the morning they would be served breakfast either by
a country style or buffet style meal.

Most of the demand is from women who want to get away from home
and town life with their husband, and enjoy the quiet country setting
and not have to cook, or jump up and go the first thing to Mickey D's for a biscuit.

You still have to do or hire someone to cook, and
change the bedding, and clean up each room.

Most of the owners lived there, or hired a full time caretaker.
Now is this by law?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj brazen_3133 View Post
now is this by law?
no.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
hahahah lolz thanks for your repliesI work in property management, and I was looking for a way of getting around the silly rent stabilization laws here in NYC. I was thinking, I would do everything the same as you would for a rental apartment, but call it a B&B. Like it will be owner occupied, who uses it as a B&B. I would still use regular realtors to bring in renters, but just inform the clients, that it will a rental using a B&B disguise. I am just brain storming, not exactly how much it would do for my current situation.

This sounds shady as hell...just saying!

Why would anyone want to rent from someone who openly had a "buck the system" mentality. That would mean that you would try to "buck the system" and cut corners when it came to fulfilling your duties to the tenants as well.

So shady.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Again, I am not trying to really start a bed and breakfast. I came up with the question while I was brainstorming ideas to get around certain laws that pertain to rental housing. Could you instead of doing a normal rental, say it is being used as a bed and breakfast, but still use regular realtors to bring in renters? So essentially it is still a rental, but being disguised as a bed and breakfast. To be honest, I have not researched this much, nor have I given too much thought as to how I would apply this to my current situation. You could say this is just the first step. I was hoping you guys could help me push my thought process.
Well, that was clear as mud. We took the title of the thread at face value. However, anytime you ask yourself, "How can I get around certain laws?" you are almost certainly asking for trouble. And if you try to disguise something as a bed and breakfast, which requires a different kind of commercial licensing, how many nanoseconds do you honestly think it will take before the authorities catch on? Just make your money the honest and legitimate way without the shortcuts.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
It comes down to customer expectations and price. If someone is looking for a cheaper B&B and you are willing to be competitive with the price, then it might work. I truly believe that most people would want a substantial breakfast served to them and someone available on site to do more than make sure that the place is clean and food is served. Most customers would want someone to available to give advice on where to go and what sites to see. And that's not just available part of the day, but anytime the customer needs it. It doesn't mean that you can't hire a couple to do this for you, but I truly believe that someone should be there 24/7. This business is all about service, if you want to be successful.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I've stayed at air bnb places which are cheaper and you don't expect breakfast - kind of like a private hostel. I think they are a great idea but it is more casual.

It seems the OP is just trying to rent out a place and get around rent control. Hw can someone outside NY answer his question?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
This is so daffy it has to turn out wonderful.

If situation comedy has taught US anything -- daffy things always turn out wonderful.

I would move in tomorrow . . . if . . . if . . . to make it really authentic some large hairy smelly woman wandered down the hall every morning screaming at all us "guests," "Cook Your Own G-D Breakfast!"

Yep. THAT is for me.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
People alot smarter than you are have come up with much better ideas to get out of rent stabilization. No this scheme of yours will not work...

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
If you run a bed and breakfast, do you actually have to live there too, and do you have to actually make the breakfast? Can you just provide the stove and refrigerator, and tell the guest to get the materials, and cook it themselves?

Also can you make your apartment in a multi-family building a bed and breakfast? I guess it varies between regions right? Anyone with experience? And how do bed and breakfasts usually market themselves?
1) You don't have to live there, but unless you pay cash, you almost have to because the cap rate in that industry isn't that high. Or you'd need to own multiple profitable properties to avoid having to live there.

2) You don't have to serve a home style cooked breakfast, but your customer base will expect it. Otherwise, they would go to a hotel or a hostel. You could do a continental style breakfast, but you will get complaints.

3) In most cases you would not be able to make your apartment a B&B because of various restrictions.

4) You can market your B&B with a website, SEO, travel websites etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business