Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes let's make China the standard, no environmental laws, no workplace rules, low wages, lower standard of living, race to the bottom.
It is amusing how some are willing to sacrifice the standard of living forged by previous generations because they think it would bring jobs back to this country.
I used to not think corporate was trying to kill the middle-class, I'm no so sure of that anymore as I make the same hourly rate as I did when I was in my early 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Caterpillar also was one of the large companies who received money
( an un-deserved bail out ) from the US government which robbed the
American tax payers during the bail outs of banks and large corporations,
and the 1% ers ... etc.
Link proving that;i never seen that on the bialouts.Stimulus maybe as mnay compoanies wher54e given that but mostly one fvored by the administration. But then that doe mean much because we alos gave GM trap money who invest in forweign markets includig newe apnt i china but wer expect them to comepte worldwide . Plus we have actauly shares owned in teh compnay and huge infleuence by governamnt monitors. bargaining is bargaining in reality. I am sure topyota wokers i japan would ove all those jobs buidlig American bought cars just as other countire would like thsoe CAT jobs building those machienry soild to therm .

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'm no so sure of that anymore as I make the same hourly rate as I did when I was in my early 20s.
Have you added significant education or training since than?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I lived trough the 6 years Cat/UAW strike in the 1990's in which the UAW , as a union, was broken. Cat used very hard hateful methods to attack it's own people. In addition to the unionized workers office workers were notified that they could be fired for any or no reason if they didn't go along with the plan to break the union.

Caterpillar then called in military trained mercenary to "guard" the plants against striking UAW workers. Vance Asset Protection is well know worldwide as guns for hire famous for labor disputes union busting just inside the law methods.

Uaw Calculated Wrong On Strike - Chicago Tribune

Vance Security Deployed by Bush-Cheney 04 - Kathryn Cramer

Why would G.W.Bush employ mercenaries when he has the secret service?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/0...Paramilitaries

Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Story in todays WSJ, (sorry no link) compensation for CEO Douglass Oberhelman rose 60% last year to $16.9M, the 5 top executives got a raise of 7%, these are the people telling the workers making $26/hr to take a 6 year wage freeze? That's what I like leadership by example.
Tell them to move to Fairfield, Iowa and they'll get the best workers available for $26 an hour for the next five years. I really don't give a rat's tail what the top executives make, that's a hell of a lot more than most people around here get paid.

There was a company near here whose labor contract was up. The company wanted to freeze wages and cut a few minor bennies; the union told the workers not to accept because nobody would cross the lines to work for what they were offering. Bad move. The company locked out the union workers and was back in operation in less than a day because there are plenty of people around here who felt blessed to be able to work for what the union dudes thought was insulting.

And before anyone says it, NOBODY who crosses a picket line to provide a better life for his or her family should be considered a "scab."

Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And before anyone says it, NOBODY who crosses a picket line to provide a better life for his or her family should be considered a "scab."
Bingo. Each person must reach the decision best for them, and all such decisions should be respected.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Bingo. Each person must reach the decision best for them, and all such decisions should be respected.
I was a "Non-Traditional" office union worker during 1990's 6 year strike. I worked the entire strike due to the "at will" clause in my contract with Caterpillar. It was not a pleasant time to be a Caterpillar worker since I had a .357 mag long barrel revolver on my truck seat and a 4" bladed automatic knife on me at all times I was not at work since many union members had been brainwashed to the point they were dangerous. Did Caterpillar approve of my weapons? No, but I went nowhere unarmed.

There are a lot of things that the union would not share with the members so that the members were deaf,dumb & blind to the whole truth of the events at hand.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM

News on the latest labor stand off..........

Caterpillar strike in Joliet turning into test case for U.S. labor relations - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I was a "Non-Traditional" office union worker during 1990's 6 year strike. I worked the entire strike due to the "at will" clause in my contract with Caterpillar. It was not a pleasant time to be a Caterpillar worker since I had a .357 mag long barrel revolver on my truck seat and a 4" bladed automatic knife on me at all times I was not at work since many union members had been brainwashed to the point they were dangerous. Did Caterpillar approve of my weapons? No, but I went nowhere unarmed.

There are a lot of things that the union would not share with the members so that the members were deaf,dumb & blind to the whole truth of the events at hand.
I'm a non-contract employee at a union foundry. Of course management buts heads with the union from time to time but for the most part the relationship isn't bad. But the former company president who is now semi-retired doing some sales and advisory work told me during one nasty strike back in the '80s when he was president that his family had to have 24 hour police protection due to the death threats he received from hot-headed employees that the union honchos had filled full of crap. He said he sees some of those guys around town now and they laugh about it, but those were tense times.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Update: The union took the offer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/bu...1&ref=business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business