Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,833 times

Advertisements

Im looking for opinions on the sale of part of my business. Here it is-

I currently own a Landscaping business / Garden Center.

I operated for about 8 years as a landscaping business providing lawn maintenance, landscaping and brick paver installations. I worked out of a couple locations during this time. I have now been in business 13 years.

5 years ago i purchased a house on 3 acres on a highly traveled road in my area and opened up a Garden Center selling mulch, stone, topsoil, and nursery stock. Business has been OK with the Garden Center doing $220K to $280k each year since opening not counting my landscaping work.

The problem is, I do not want the retail Garden Center anymore. I have realized the retail part of the business is not for me.

I would like to sell the garden center and just go back to the landscaping only. I have another property I can run that out of. Selling it as a stand alone business i think would be the most profitable for me but I am having trouble because i can not let them continue to use my Company name and phone number.

Any ideas of how to do this? Is it possible or am I stuck just selling the Real estate and get nothing for the business I have built up?

I thought about putting out a new sign with new name and phone number for the rest of this season and selling it like that? Not sure if that would work, might be confusing to people?

Let me know what you think?

Last edited by dnc19694339; 08-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: left some out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
3 acres on a highly traveled road ...Garden Center... doing $220K to $280k each year
Selling it as a stand alone business i think would be the most profitable for me but...
But that's just not gonna happen. So... on to plan B.

Quote:
I am having trouble because i can not let them continue to use my Company name and phone number.
The name and phone number are easily 80% of the value and the ONLY reason to buy.

Anyone capable of operating that VERY TOUGH business successfully...
who ALSO has a pile of cash to work with... simply doesn't need you.

Add to that the rather thin net that $280,000 gross is likely to yield.
Which is the real point in all this.

Am I missing anything?

Quote:
Any ideas of how to do this??
Find someone to bring into the business with you.
Find someone ***with the skill to operate** and then transfer your interest to them over time.

If you can get that far... the name and phone number aspect can be accommodated.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Find someone ***with the skill to operate** and then transfer your interest to them over time.

If you can get that far... the name and phone number aspect can be accommodated.

That sounds like it could take years. I am looking for a plan that would take a year at most. Any more than that and I will just list the property and sell off the equipment.

Any other ideas?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
That sounds like it could take years.
Yeah... it would.
Probably 5 or even 10 years depending on how much profit they can generate.

Quote:
Any other ideas?
List the property and sell off the equipment.
Then you can keep the name and phone number too.

In between all that... check out the zoning issues.
Do you have a non-conforming use that won't convey to a new owner?
Has the zoning changed at all since you bought?
Could OTHER business types be set up there?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Im looking for opinions on the sale of part of my business. Here it is-

I currently own a Landscaping business / Garden Center.

I operated for about 8 years as a landscaping business providing lawn maintenance, landscaping and brick paver installations. I worked out of a couple locations during this time. I have now been in business 13 years.

5 years ago i purchased a house on 3 acres on a highly traveled road in my area and opened up a Garden Center selling mulch, stone, topsoil, and nursery stock. Business has been OK with the Garden Center doing $220K to $280k each year since opening not counting my landscaping work.

The problem is, I do not want the retail Garden Center anymore. I have realized the retail part of the business is not for me.

I would like to sell the garden center and just go back to the landscaping only. I have another property I can run that out of. Selling it as a stand alone business i think would be the most profitable for me but I am having trouble because i can not let them continue to use my Company name and phone number.

Any ideas of how to do this? Is it possible or am I stuck just selling the Real estate and get nothing for the business I have built up?

I thought about putting out a new sign with new name and phone number for the rest of this season and selling it like that? Not sure if that would work, might be confusing to people?

Let me know what you think?
This would be incredibly unwise. The value of your business isn't in the real estate, the structure, and the inventory. The value is in the brand, the goodwill and reputation you've accrued. Changing the name is essentially erasing all that value in a single stroke. Instead, you're far better off changing the name of your landscaping business, chiefly because you are dealing with a much smaller universe of potential customers, so it's easier to make the transition.

You'll hear a dozen different theories on how to do this.

Here's my ideal scenario: If you have a really reliable employee who is financially stable, sell the business to him or her -- or them. They'll know the business already, the customer will have continuity, and you'll be able to put it into the hands of someone you trust.

The second scenario means selling it to someone. If that's the case, I'd plan on a six-month transition while they learn everything and get to know customers. And, after that, be available to answer their questions, whether on a paid basis or not.

The third and most dangerous scenario is selling to your competition. Just make sure you're covered with a sheaf of non-disclosure agreements before you begin dickering.

Whichever option you choose, I would recommend that you get all your money at the time of the transaction, NOT some scheme where you're essentially acting as their bank. That may prove unrealistic, but it should be the ideal. I've known way too many people who sold their business for a nominal sum in the expectation of future revenue, only to watch helplessly as the new owners drove the business into the ground. They never saw another dime.

If you do have to have a scheme where some of your payment is deferred, then I would insist on absolute transparency in EVERYTHING they do with the money. You will want to know what they're paying themselves. You will want to know their margins, and everything else. And I would make your feelings known if they start doing dicey things.

Further, do not even begin to put your company up on the block without a clear valuation in mind, a price developed with the help of a good CPA who understands business sales. Then have a really good attorney draft the paperwork, eliminating every possible chance to get screwed.

I sold my biz to a core group of employees and it went pretty smoothly. First, I hired good people to begin with. Second, I had given them decision-making power years before I was ready to sell. Third, I was transparent with them at all times, so that company leadership wasn't some kind of arcane mystery. Fourth, I developed a plan for selling, complete with valuation. So they hired their attorney and CPA, we dickered back and forth for a couple of months, and came to an agreement. I also agreed to stay on for a year part-time on salary as part of the arrangement in order to make the transition easy. The last six months of that engagement, I felt I was practically taking their money because they were doing such a good job.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM

I need to keep the name and phone #. I mentioned the garden center does $220k to $280k, but i didnt mention the landscaping part of the business does almost $500k on its own. That is where the money is. As far as a trustworthy employee to sell to, not happening. This is a seasonal business, it is very tough to find quality employees.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
As far as a trustworthy employee to sell to, not happening.
This is a seasonal business, it is very tough to find quality employees.
Back to exploring other possibilities... remember the zoning issue questions?

Do you have a non-conforming use that won't convey to a new owner?
Has the zoning changed at all since you bought?
Could OTHER business types be set up there?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM

The town may be receptive to other small commercial uses. The purchaser would have to apply for a zone change for it to be anything other than a garden center/nursery. '

I would list it in the commercial section.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The town may be receptive to other small commercial uses.
Does that mean that you have correct zoning? Or just a variance of some sort?

Quote:
The purchaser would have to apply for...
Well, someone would and get it too. But few will want to buy a question mark.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 AM

8 posts, read 15,591 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business