U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,163 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've posted it on Americas forum as well - I hope it's ok.

I'd like to open a (very) small business in south america. I'm not local, so it should be a country where foreigners can open a small business easily.

My budget is only 2000$. I know this is very low, but I still hope I can open a business with this amount of money. The business can be opened with a local partner, or alone.

I've been thinking about a few options. I'd appreciate your opinions :

1. 1-2 representatives call center.

2. A food stand - hot dogs, popcorn, etc.

3. Flower store.

4. Lectures service - Hire a small place twice a week, and have an interesting lecture (sell tickets to this lecture).

Thank you in advance !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 AM

8 posts, read 14,319 times
1. 1-2 representatives call center.

2. A food stand - hot dogs, popcorn, etc.

3. Flower store.

4. Lectures service - Hire a small place twice a week, and have an interesting lecture (sell tickets to this lecture).

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 AM

?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 AM

7,049 posts, read 10,195,541 times
What country? Franchises are good ideas.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Forest_Hills_Daddy - thank you for your reply. I thought about Chile.

Can you please tell me what are the advantages of franchises, and do they affect the initial cost ?

Thank you

Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM

The advantage of owning a franchise is that you have a large corporate infrastructure working behind you. They can help with operational aspects like quality control, HR and marketing - a lot of important things you can lose track of if you're working on your own. Initial costs vary by franchise. Some can go as high as $500K, some as low as $20K. It depends.

That said, I'm not sure if Chile would be a good country for a franchise. I would think a country undergoing a rural-urban shift would be more attractive, like Mexico, Peru, Brazil or Colombia. Or look at the Philippines which although in Asia, has people of Lat Am mindset and is also undergoing a rural-urban shift.

If Chile, maybe an agro-export business like a winery or fruit orchard.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Well my budget is much smaller, but I thank you for your explanation.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM

You could copy the concept of an existing franchise and hope you don't get caught - "7-E-Lima", "Tijuana Joe's", "Chicano Uno", "Gray's Pa-Playa", "Chile's", "Dunkin Dominica", etc. Many of them don't as they are too small fry to pursue.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM

9,445 posts, read 7,960,294 times
I went to Costa Rica about a month ago, and I met lots of Gringos who own business down there. Okay it is not South America, but Central America is as close as you can get. I met a former LA school district teacher who has a massage business right out on the beach, one lady and here husband had a tour business at the resort. They would book the tours for guest and hook them up with the actual vendors like fishing boat captains, ATV guide, scuba instructors. There was actually two other guys, one from LA too, and another from Long Island that owned their own tour companies. They do water sports, volcano hiking, etc.

I guess in this day and age, something that has to do with the hospitality industry is viable for being small scale, and having a chance to get bigger. The entry barriers are not that stringent, you can differentiate yourself fairly easily from your competitors. Locations is most important, and not necessarily size either. Someone mentioned a franchise, and that is within the scope of hospitality as well.

I would choose a place that is on the rise in Tourism. I have no idea where that would be. Maybe the southern tip of Chile or Argentina. I would imagine all the people in the tropical parts of SA would want to get away from the heat and humidity somewhere. Or maybe somewhere deep in the Amazon next to the Andes, that way people will have two activity spots to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or