Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
eBay is an auction site.
Is it that difficult to understand?
I only put things on auction three or four times a month to bring business to my store. My eBay store sells items at a fixed price (some of which have a "make an offer").

It is hard to explain without saying exactly what I sell. But imagine that there is a high quality watch brand & watch accessories (this is an example, I do not sell watches) that never goes on sale and you can only purchase at a few stand alone stores that only sell that brand of watch. You can't buy that brand of watch in any other store.

Now picture that I have a connection that allows me to purchase a limited amount of those watches on sale. I buy the watches & accessories strictly for resale in my eBay store (obviously I can't wear 30 watches at a time).

If you can even find these watches for sale on eBay they are normally used watches and not new. There are only a handful of fellow sellers who sell the new watches. Picture a $80 "watch" and someone makes an offer for something like $5. That is the type of thing that I was venting about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Post minimum prices or stop complaining.
I am going to start having eBay automatically reject offers under a certain amount so I never see them. I haven't done that in the past because I rarely had offers so low that they were laughable (and then they usually ask for free shipping as well) but it has been happening more often in the past year.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM

76 posts, read 150,056 times
Goes both ways. There was an item selling for $21 shipped, I offered $20, it was rejected. What's the point of offering best offer if you can't even take a buck off? *shrug*

Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times
No point at all. The seller was obviously unclear on the concept.
My SOP is to set the automatic-decline at 33%. I accept anything over that.

As a seller, I use Best-Offer for everything in my store.
But there's something weird going on with B/O lately - ebay changed it so it remains for sale until the buyer actually pays for it. It does not sit in limbo any more (used to be, the item was considered 'bought and sold' if the seller accepted the offer.) Which would be OK, except ebay fails to let the buyer know his offer has been accepted! So I have items with acceptable offers expiring because the buyer does not know he won and needs to pay.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
why wouldn't buyers offer insultingly low amounts for items? If an item is worth 20 dollars and I offer 5 and you accept for whatever reason, I can turn around, sell it for 10, and double my money.

To offer a low amount of money for an item doesn't take much effort. And when an offer is finally accepted all that little to no work pays off.

This is the same thing for corporations. They could pay the high wages of an american manufacturing plant, or they could have their product manufactured in china for 1/10th the price and ship it over for a total cost of 1/9th the price if it was manufactured in the US.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
Semi-related.....why do sellers bother putting up "make an offers" if any offer is automatically rejected anyway?

It's a little deceptive if "make an offer" is essentially the same price as the buy-it-now give or take two dollars.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,650 times
if the offer isn't insulting then the offer was to high

Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
My question is why do sellers want insultingly high prices on "buy it now" offers?
Good question.

OBO means or best offer. I often would pay an insultingly low price for something but have no interest in paying much more than that. Say Devon watches. Hey, they're pretty cool. Totally unique. Am I going to pay $16,000 for it? Oh, gosh no. I might pay $600 though. It is an awesome watch, but at $16,000? No way.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 PM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
Why do buyers offer insultingly low offers on eBay "make an offer" items?

Selling on Ebay, Craigslist, or any other internet venue is not for the thin skinned. Perhaps you might want to rethink your career choices, OP.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
the offer things are stupid, you never get realistic offers and once you turn someone down i think it creates bad feelings so where as you might have sold it to the person just listing a straight price because you shot down their offer they are going to move onto a diff seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business