Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,951,822 times

Advertisements

I have about one half of the items in my eBay store as Buy it now or make an offer. Most of the time people make reasonable offers say $21 or $22 on a $25 item which I usually accept. At times I can go lower (if I purchased the items for a very low price or if it hasn't sold in a while) and even if I can go lower it doesn't bother me if a person makes an offer of 25% or 30% off. Hey, it may be their lucky day. Or I may make a counteroffer which is reasonable for both of us. Even someone who offers 50% isn't insulting I'll just make a counter offer.

But, it really irritates me when someone makes an offer that is extremely low. I sell new items with tags. A brand that is rarely, if ever, on sale so the purchase price will still be fairly high, even if they get a "great deal". Someone just made an offer to purchase one of these new, with tags items for 85% off of my asking price. No one on eBay sells these items for more than 10% to 20% off of full price and most sell for the full price or even higher (ones that are harder to find). So why would someone offer me $3 for a $20 item?

Sorry for the rank but it is just annoying and time consuming. Do they really think that I would sell this brand new in box, unopened, item for 85% off especially if others sellers are selling it for full price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
1) you don't ask... you don't get.
2) everyone knows that e-bay prices are nonsense

Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,914,801 times
It's annoying, but just part of selling on ebay and including the "make an offer" option. I'd probably email back with something like, "Seriously?"

Actually I know ebay allows sellers to state a price (that the buyer doesn't see) below which the buyer will just get a "rejected" email automatically -- i.e., the seller doesn't even have to deal with it. But yeah, it's still annoying.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,951,822 times
[quote=karen_in_nh_2012;25546557]It's annoying, but just part of selling on ebay and including the "make an offer" option. I'd probably email back with something like, "Seriously?"

Actually I know ebay allows sellers to state a price (that the buyer doesn't see) below which the buyer will just get a "rejected" email automatically -- i.e., the seller doesn't even have to deal with it. But yeah, it's still annoying.[/quote]

I haven't used that option but I think that I will in the future. It would be different if I sold used items or items that were so rare that they couldn't compare them but many times there are at least a couple of sellers with the same item. If they list it at $24, $26 and $28. and I list mine at $26 do they really think that I would accept an offer of $5?

Thanks for understanding my vent.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
something for nothing people? my favorite is offering 1/2 of FMV on a late model BMW before they even see it. of course after they see it they will wana haggle down a bunch more i sold the car for full FMV. just plain evil people trying to do others out of their assets.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,521,846 times
My question is why do sellers want insultingly high prices on "buy it now" offers?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,159,203 times
I no longer buy on ebay. I buy on Amazon. I like a decent price and simple return/conflict adjustment procedure. Auctions were fun, but if I need it I would rather just buy it. My taste in books is hard to find non-fiction, and I do hardbacks or at LEAST full sized paper, and I still manage to find decent prices. I also get most DVD's from there used and have never got a bad one.

Having had problems with ebay sellers, its not just the prices which are higher, but the lack of easy resolution of problems.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,221,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
something for nothing people? my favorite is offering 1/2 of FMV on a late model BMW before they even see it.
What is worse is these same people may not even have the money to pay the ridiculous price they have offered. If someone calls me and makes a ridiculous offer on one of my tractors or equipment, I tell them I won't discuss price until they see the equipment. They usually go trolling somewhere else.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
What is worse is these same people may not even have the money to pay the ridiculous price they have offered. If someone calls me and makes a ridiculous offer on one of my tractors or equipment, I tell them I won't discuss price until they see the equipment. They usually go trolling somewhere else.
it gets worse they try to bully and dominate
of course they dont know me, pathetic behavior

Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,521,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
My question is why do sellers want insultingly high prices on "buy it now" offers?
+1

I mean it is an auction site, who would want the lowest price around? Good post brother (I mean me!).

Maybe some sellers here might be able to understand lowest price on an action site ... I don't know tho. If you want to dictate a price, open your own website. It's cheaper than crapbay anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business