Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You need to READ my post. I was suggesting that startup capital is not a limiting factor in starting a business. I never stated that everyone would be successful with a poor business plan if only they could just get capital. Clearly, you need a viable business plan. Opening a fast food place across the street from a McDonald's Restaurant is not a viable business plan.
I did read your WHOLE post:

The Jobs Act resolves much of the need for your own capital. People have to stop thinking that they need to supply the capital needed to start a business. In most cases, you can start a business without having any money.

What it said was absolutely untrue, and I explained why. Unless you can support your use of the words "much of the need" and "in most cases".

Aside from the fact that only a tiny number of people are capable of formulating any kind of a business plan at all, much less a viable one, so even if the Jobs Act magically starts up every one of them, 90-something percent of the unemployed Americans will still have no job and no income and no sustenance, because "start your own business" is a ridiculously shallow resource that fails to touch the lives of an overwhelming majority of Americans who are facing catastrophic incomelessness..

I still invite you to answer my question about how, if nobody is hiring a person with a particular skill, he can go into business for himself performing the same skill and there is miraculously a market for what he does, that his prospective employers and competitors could not discover for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM

83 posts, read 105,735 times
I was working for a company and realized I could make alot more doing the same thing I was doing for the company. So I branched off on my own and what a difference!! More money coming in, no bosses except my clients which still isn't the same as bosses!! My time is my own..I run my schedule. It's been 6 yrs now and things are so much better......don't hesistate on thinking it can't be done or that you can't do it. U can! I wish I would've done it sooner!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems to be a recurrent saying on the P and C forum.
There was a story of a 61 year old lady who was begging for a job,and the answer to the thread was that she should have started her own business.
I read about it everywhere. Most believe it leads one to be financially independent,and that a business person will never be unemployed.

Are those who start businesses more successful than the others who didn't ,who just worked hard at the jobs they have?

What are some pros to owning a business? Cons?
"Are those who start businesses more successful than the others who didn't ,who just worked hard at the jobs they have?" Those whom start their own business aren't always more successful than those whom work for others. But those whom work for others are never more successful than those for whom they work.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

83 posts, read 105,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"Are those who start businesses more successful than the others who didn't ,who just worked hard at the jobs they have?" Those whom start their own business aren't always more successful than those whom work for others. But those whom work for others are never more successful than those for whom they work.
I had to read that twice...LOL!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKH777 View Post
I had to read that twice...LOL!
Yeah, I was goofing around. lol.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Yeah, I was goofing around. lol.
it's still just as wrong as when saying it straight out

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

385 posts, read 358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
and not to mention all the people hassling you in the street trying to sell you a useless item.

seriously, would people really be happy having all these annoying low-lifes badgering you to buy their crap all the time?

everyone should all just get a real job, and the system should be set up for employment creation; not for hordes of unwashed parasites huddling on the street corners selling junk
at least they are trying to support themselves. If you consider them parasites what do you call people on welfare and unemployment who aren't even looking for jobs?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems to be a recurrent saying on the P and C forum.
There was a story of a 61 year old lady who was begging for a job,and the answer to the thread was that she should have started her own business.
I read about it everywhere. Most believe it leads one to be financially independent,and that a business person will never be unemployed.

Are those who start businesses more successful than the others who didn't ,who just worked hard at the jobs they have?

What are some pros to owning a business? Cons?
Well, telling a 61-year-old to get a job when she is in desperate straits sounds a little heartless, but there is also some truth to it.

I have been self-employed for 22 years now. To be sure, I've had some tough times. At the same time, I have accumulated a long list of people with whom I've worked and continue to work. Some I am not working with at the moment for various reasons, but the door is always open.

The other thing is that we tend to eat our old in the job market. In the traditional office, a 61-year-old is pretty much done with his or her career. However, hiring a savvy 61-year-old to come in and consult is considered to be something completely different.

I wouldn't say that starting your own business makes you automatically better paid. Instead, it makes you more self sufficient and better able to be conversant in any number of important skills, from marketing yourself to being independent. Those qualities lead to being better paid in the long run, and become far better developed than working out of a cubicle on only one small slice of a business' operations.

I'll give a perfect example. 15 years ago, I consulted for one division of a Baby Bell. It was a division that was being phased out, so it was obvious that my assignment was to help squeeze as much profitability out of the place as I could before it was shut down. I knew and liked my client contacts. They were all career Bell people, folks who had been with the company for 25 or 30 years or more. They all knew that they were nearing the end of their tenure with the company by working in this dead-end division and they were scared to death. Their careers had been great as long as the fat paychecks and generous benefits were flowing. But now that the gravy train was coming to an end, they had absolutely no idea what to do next. What's more, their work habits were symbolic of the wholesale inefficiency of a mega utility: Endless meetings and timelines that were stretched out forever. In short, they were wholly unprepared of the rigors of entrepreneurship or even working within a smaller company.

A few, after leaving, stayed in touch with me, but only in an attempt to find another job. I counseled them to leverage their skills and knowledge, but they had no idea how to do that. To me, that's the difference between a career employee and an entrepreneur. In truth, the days of working for a company 45 years and then retiring on a pension are long, long gone. The only people who can reasonably expect that are government workers and the taxpayers are getting fed up with that, too.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM

49 posts, read 102,645 times
Reminds me of a quote from Henry Ford..went something like 'Those of us who never made mistakes work for those of us who do'.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I did read your WHOLE post:

The Jobs Act resolves much of the need for your own capital. People have to stop thinking that they need to supply the capital needed to start a business. In most cases, you can start a business without having any money.

What it said was absolutely untrue, and I explained why. Unless you can support your use of the words "much of the need" and "in most cases".

Aside from the fact that only a tiny number of people are capable of formulating any kind of a business plan at all, much less a viable one, so even if the Jobs Act magically starts up every one of them, 90-something percent of the unemployed Americans will still have no job and no income and no sustenance, because "start your own business" is a ridiculously shallow resource that fails to touch the lives of an overwhelming majority of Americans who are facing catastrophic incomelessness..

I still invite you to answer my question about how, if nobody is hiring a person with a particular skill, he can go into business for himself performing the same skill and there is miraculously a market for what he does, that his prospective employers and competitors could not discover for themselves.
The jobs act allows for microfunding for equity to be thrown around with minimal regulation from the SEC. Anyone with a good business plan now has an easy way of attaining funding. Sure, no one with a plan to open a burger place next to McDonalds is going to succeed in getting funding or sustaining a business. It's a stupid idea. But a good idea, no longer requires you to have enormous amounts of money.

If you're on unemployment insurance, you can still collect SEA (which is the same amount in $$) to support yourself.

Your question of how someone uses a skill in which they cannot find a job for to start a business is a loaded question. The simplest answer is that they can compete with their former employer. Having worked there, they should have a solid understanding of their business. However, most of the time, people start businesses on alternate skills. The other answer is that they probably shouldn't start a business if they don't have a in-demand skillset or solid business plan. Those are real issues. Funding is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business