Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,603,611 times

Advertisements

Quoting Micea:

"You're "pretty intelligent?"

"No, your not. A person with a modicum of intelligence is able to recognize their own strengths and weaknesses.

True, many businesses were started by one person, but many were also started by two or more. I mentioned Qualcomm earlier. Each of them acting alone would have failed, but the four of them together functioned as a team and were successful.

Someone with the drive, desire and motivation who doesn't have an idea, will brain-storm with their friends for ideas. And if their friends are 'tards, then they'll go find new friends. They'll network until they get paired up with someone who has an idea, but doesn't know how to bring that idea to fruition. "

"Unlike you, the words "no" and "can't" are not part of their vocabulary.

And this might come as a shock to you, but sometimes, you can run your business part-time while still maintaining your full-time job, until your business takes off. You can't always do that, but often you can.

Instead of focusing on what you can't do, you might want to start focusing on what you can do.

Advising...."

Wow..you have it all figured out don't you??? Well please tell us how superior you are...you are a joke. At least I don't try and start a business and have no idea what I'm doing, fail and blame others..

Really I had no idea someone can do something part time....??? Geez...thanks you so much for letting me know..thanks again Captian obvious...

Oh and your Social Security argument...just shows me how much you DON"T know...you can only take social security under certain conditions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM

355 posts, read 910,203 times
Pros- Own boss, financial upside (maybe), ability to make a difference, employ others and pay mentorship forward.

Cons- You are the last one to get paid (after vendors, overhead, employees-including employee mistakes), ridiculous tax bills, rising costs for workers compensation, unemployment benefits, etc, your mind is working 24/7, work many days long hours with no financial upside for years.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,160,473 times
Tax write-offs are reason enough for me. It's sad that after all those expenses I don't make any money.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,467,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Pros- Own boss, financial upside (maybe), ability to make a difference, employ others and pay mentorship forward.

Cons- You are the last one to get paid (after vendors, overhead, employees-including employee mistakes), ridiculous tax bills, rising costs for workers compensation, unemployment benefits, etc, your mind is working 24/7, work many days long hours with no financial upside for years.
Troof. Every stinking person tries to keep their hands in the cookie jar.

I had a restaurant back around when the war started in '03 and customers thought they were entitled to freebies, the Sysco rep thought he should be running my biz (I was 23, but still...) to the betterment of his commish before I fired him, people who you've never met before want to audition their spouses for jobs, ex-employees want to sell paintings in return for money...

Glad I don't do that mess anymore, but I am thinking of going into biodiesel eventually. Would be wise if I bought me a used diesel truck to benefit from that, though...

Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 AM

23,128 posts, read 28,863,992 times
The same reason people urge you to get married! Misery loves company!

I used to have a massage business, but I was only successful if, and only, I took the calls as they came in.
In the middle of watching a movie, cooking, going to the grocery store, about to climb into bed, or you're 3 hours into your sleep and phone rings, take that call, as they will not call back!

I'd sit around for 3-4 days, call a friend to call me, fearful the phone went on the blink! Then? Come Friday, 5 calls, end of the day I was so wiped out I couldn't have done another massage the next day for no amount of $$.

You're like a doctor on-call 24 hours a day!

Then the recession came! Regulars who stopped by every 2 months, cut back to every 6 months. And at the depth of the recession, I had to take a part time job to survive!

This recession? I don't even want to know! 1-2-3 massages per week?

Putting your eggs in one basket, not a good idea!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,160,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
This recession? I don't even want to know! 1-2-3 massages per week?

Putting your eggs in one basket, not a good idea!
No happy endings doing that.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,133,625 times
"Start your own Business" - is meaningless statement - start a business in what, whats your product, how will you sell it a price people will buy, whats your expertise etc, have you money, what is your plan

Its just like saying "get a job"

Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,892,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
"Start your own Business" - is meaningless statement - start a business in what, whats your product, how will you sell it a price people will buy, whats your expertise etc, have you money, what is your plan

Its just like saying "get a job"
Plus, you have to assume for the vast majority of business ideas, you probably have 20 people nearby who have already thought of the same or very similar thing and are your direct and fierce competition. You can get lucky had stumble across a product/service that is/will be in demand that basically no one else has thought of, but that is not the fate of most.

I watched my grandfather struggle with his desire to be his own boss constantly clashing with the reality that he really didn't know how to run any business anywhere except into the ground. My grandmother spent her entire life basically bailing him out over and over again.

Personally, I would not consider seriously starting my own business until I had some basic instruction in accounting, marketing, and business law. I would also need to have a business plan ready and understand what the daily operating costs of the business to see if it would even be worth it. I can't see starting your own business and just rolling over one morning and saying you are going to start one. It is something that takes a lot of time and research to know if you are investing your time and money in the correct decision.

Not to completely discourage people from starting, but you have to be realistic. I am considering starting a business myself because I am a discouraged worker. I am tired of getting jobs, jumping through all the dumb and sometimes degrading six interview hoops and tests, just to get laid off a few months later. I have a good idea I know from experience will be profitable, but I need to finish my prep work first. I know it is risky, but getting a job is no golden ticket either, at least not in my experience.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,650,498 times
The assumption that one can and should create their own wealth through whatever means possible includes the notion that most people are somehow capable of starting up a self supporting business. This idea of self supporting endeavors being available at all times to all people has been around since the times of agricultural based societies, this is of course no longer an option for the masses. Economies worldwide have adapted to the larger scale and may never go back to the point of individual enterprise being anything more than the desperate attempt by some to sell their labor directly, cleaning, cooking, lawn care or child care. Even these direct service attempts are now awash in the sea of ads to do for others what they can't or won't do for themselves. American's are simply not the type to buy from street vendors, "hustling" is looked at as a scam, and worse, it's illegal in most of our cities. I think the act of saying that someone should 'get out there and hustle' is just another way of saying the poor simply aren't trying hard enough.......

Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,785,413 times
Being that nursing is all I know,I wouldn't know how or where to start with creating a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business