Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times

Advertisements

I am typically pro-business, but these two companies make it extremely difficult for me sometimes to embrace that mentality. For what it's worth, I am venting. So if you don't want to read it (I don't blame you), feel free to move on to the next thread.

I use Chase Bank's basic credit card to pay for my monthly expenses. I pay off the balance each month in order to not accrue any interest charges. Even though I use THEIR online web pay service and pay with THEIR checking account service, they continue to charge me interest. For the past several months, I have had to call them up to dispute interest charges applied to my account. With each one of the occurrences, I paid online and on time (before any cut offs). Yet, they are still charging me interest each month. When I call them, they seem baffled as to why this is happening. I'm paying before the 8pm EST cut off. I pay using their website. They just don't understand what's going on. Fortunately, I pay very close attention to my finances, or else they would be getting away with this theft.

I've had a Capital One card for a few years and I've never had this issue with them. I think that I will be switching back to them after this monthly cycle ends.

I have Comcast Cable because they are the only fiber optics internet provider in the metro area that I live in. These incompetent pea-brains keep charging me additional fees while not warning me or explaining to me what's going on. I had automatic bill pay set up and I would wake up to nasty surprises on my account. I've had to call them for the past two months to dispute charges. Last month, the "friendly" CSR made all sorts of faux promises and got me to sign up for a new promo package. He told me he'd send a $30 credit to make up for the overcharges and it would apply to my bill for this month. Well, I woke up and checked my bank account today to find that not only did they not apply the $30 credit, they charged me an additional $15 installation fee for something that never happened. I called them up this morning and they were again completely baffled and not entirely friendly about the matter either. "The customer is always right" mentality is obviously not observed at Comcast. They told me that no notes had been added to my account regarding the $30 credit. So essentially, the last rep lied to me.

As far as I'm concerned these two companies are criminal. They attempt to rob their customers of money by overcharging or applying fees that are non-applicable. And I'm sure they get away with it with those customers that aren't paying close attention. If I have another occurrence of either of these things happening, I am cancelling my business with both companies and will never look back. How can companies like this be successful? I just don't get it. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
All banks are criminals. You should watch the documentary "thrive" when you get a chance.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Hi Tekkie--

I can't speak about Comcast but I can say that credit unions are your friend. Lower or no fees, actual personal service, name recognition, and fewer nightmares like the one you've described.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
All banks are criminals. You should watch the documentary "thrive" when you get a chance.
Link if possible?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Tekkie--

I can't speak about Comcast but I can say that credit unions are your friend. Lower or no fees, actual personal service, name recognition, and fewer nightmares like the one you've described.
Right on. The reason I chose Chase was because of their accessibility. They are literally EVERYWHERE. I'm not from where I live now, so I travel back home 2-3 times a year. So it is more of a convenience factor that I chose to bank with Chase. I do like the idea of credit unions though (my car is financed through one). I will have to investigate to see if I can make using a credit union work. I would much prefer the hassle free service they offer.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Right on. The reason I chose Chase was because of their accessibility. They are literally EVERYWHERE. I'm not from where I live now, so I travel back home 2-3 times a year. So it is more of a convenience factor that I chose to bank with Chase. I do like the idea of credit unions though (my car is financed through one). I will have to investigate to see if I can make using a credit union work. I would much prefer the hassle free service they offer.
Hi Tekkie--

Most credit unions are part of the CUServiceCenter.com and you'll be able to conduct business with any of the 3,000+ credit unions that are part of the network. Problem solved.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Tekkie--

Most credit unions are part of the CUServiceCenter.com and you'll be able to conduct business with any of the 3,000+ credit unions that are part of the network. Problem solved.
Nice, thanks for sharing. I will heavily consider a CU.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM

72 posts, read 87,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I am typically pro-business, but these two companies make it extremely difficult for me sometimes to embrace that mentality. For what it's worth, I am venting. So if you don't want to read it (I don't blame you), feel free to move on to the next thread.

I use Chase Bank's basic credit card to pay for my monthly expenses. I pay off the balance each month in order to not accrue any interest charges. Even though I use THEIR online web pay service and pay with THEIR checking account service, they continue to charge me interest. For the past several months, I have had to call them up to dispute interest charges applied to my account. With each one of the occurrences, I paid online and on time (before any cut offs). Yet, they are still charging me interest each month. When I call them, they seem baffled as to why this is happening. I'm paying before the 8pm EST cut off. I pay using their website. They just don't understand what's going on. Fortunately, I pay very close attention to my finances, or else they would be getting away with this theft.

I've had a Capital One card for a few years and I've never had this issue with them. I think that I will be switching back to them after this monthly cycle ends.

I have Comcast Cable because they are the only fiber optics internet provider in the metro area that I live in. These incompetent pea-brains keep charging me additional fees while not warning me or explaining to me what's going on. I had automatic bill pay set up and I would wake up to nasty surprises on my account. I've had to call them for the past two months to dispute charges. Last month, the "friendly" CSR made all sorts of faux promises and got me to sign up for a new promo package. He told me he'd send a $30 credit to make up for the overcharges and it would apply to my bill for this month. Well, I woke up and checked my bank account today to find that not only did they not apply the $30 credit, they charged me an additional $15 installation fee for something that never happened. I called them up this morning and they were again completely baffled and not entirely friendly about the matter either. "The customer is always right" mentality is obviously not observed at Comcast. They told me that no notes had been added to my account regarding the $30 credit. So essentially, the last rep lied to me.

As far as I'm concerned these two companies are criminal. They attempt to rob their customers of money by overcharging or applying fees that are non-applicable. And I'm sure they get away with it with those customers that aren't paying close attention. If I have another occurrence of either of these things happening, I am cancelling my business with both companies and will never look back. How can companies like this be successful? I just don't get it. SMH
Well banks program computers to charge you interest. There is no evil man behing the scenes adding interest just because they are criminals.

Something is triggering the interest. Now bank employees can be quite incompetent and not understand why the computer is charging you interest. And then again some people are not the most intelligent customers either... I knew someone who worked for a bank and insisted banks should require customer IQ tests before opening any acounts

My guess is that there was a month where you paid after the 25 day grace period and no one told you, you needed to get a PAYOFF balance. The Payoff balnce includes any interest accrued after the statement was printed. For example if your statement was printed on August 20th, you will have accrued interest since August 21st until today which is not gonna post until the next statement. Once you pay your balance and accrued interest, you will get your 25 day grace period back.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I am with you on Chase bank. When you use their online bill pay, they take the money out of your account the minute you send the check,, even though it has not been cashed. So they can use it. But the person receiving the check does not get a cashiers check, which is what it should be, as the cash is gone from my account, before the check is cashed. Then, if the check is lost...they STILL KEEP THE CASH for 30 DAYS! Forget it.

I switched to a normal bank. US Bank. You use on line bill pay, send a check...it posts when the person cashes the check.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I was very pleased to find that I could get a quick, lower interest car loan from a credit union that I knew about at work but never talked to before, and use them now for many other things. More people should abandon the big banks.

As for Comcast, I can't disagree, they are one of the worst companies to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business