Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

When I hear people talk about delivery routes for product distribution, the names I hear are Sara-Lee, Pepperidge Farm, Lays, etc. Besides a high cost of $50-$200k+, from what I hear, buying one of these routes is more like "buying a job" than owning your own company. Companies like this expect you, the owner, to be on the route every day doing the work yourself, not hiring a driver to do the route for you. That's not what I want. I'd like to be a distributor of some type of product that that allows absentee ownership, where I can put a driver in the route and have him do the daily deliveries. I fully intend on doing the job for as long as it takes to understand how it works and be good at it myself before hiring a driver, but that's the ultimate goal. I'd rather be on the management side of things, securing more clients, expanding the business, etc than working on the route myself all day long.

I've heard people talk about non company owned routes, which I have heard referred to as "independent routes", but can't seem to find much information on what types of products fit into this category and how to get into this type of business. I am looking for any type of information on independent routes... books, forums, articles, personal experiences, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
I used to know someone that purchased a bread truck route with his brother-in-law as his partner. He said it was pretty good paying, but the early morning hours was hard on him. He was forced to sell the business due to the fact her brother-in-law got involved with nose candy (cocaine) and some not so nice people came looking to collect his debts.

So the morale here is think very carefully before taking on a partner when starting/buying a business.

If you think your going to just buy a business, and think your not going to have to work at all, your asking for trouble. You should do the route yourself for at least 6 months to learn the job, this way you can fill in when your employee is on vacation, calls out sick or turns out to be completely unreliable. No store is going to accept the excuse I'm on vacation (or my employee is on vacation) when they are not getting bread deliveries for 2 weeks. While owning your own business can be rewarding, it's a 24 hours / 7 days a week thing where you worrying about it all the time.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I used to have 2 different snack routes it can vary from area to area as well as the main supply company as far as type of ownership and franchise agreement you have with it.I belive Lays have paid union drivers run their routes.My advise is to stay away from any Unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business