Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:53 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

My dad delivered bread/pastries etc with a horse and wagon in 1930 which is how he met my mother to be. He would carry the large basket full of bread and pastry going from door to door. The horse had blinders on and when dad was visible to the horse it just walked up to where it could not see him and stopped.

This was common with the milk man also in those days while I was growing up.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 122,581 times
All areas, im in chicago

Old 12-18-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,818 times
the way that bread routes are valued is by what the 52 week sales average is. routes sell anywhere from 15 to 35 to1 of what the average is.I am a route owner and would be happy to help you along with the process.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 40,103 times
Default relocate NY to Ca

Hi I own a bread route in Rockland Cty Ny would like to sell and move to California and buy a similar route.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Have NOT seen a bread/tea or milk route in Calif since the mid 50's. Calif is a different breed of country compared to back east.

Too many people that have never lived in Calif think the eastern business ventures can be used here. Big surprise as everything is spread outwards and not upwards. Mom and pop stores?...very few isolated instances in maybe downtown LA or in small neighborhoods.

Old Safeway stores from the 1930's time period are now used as furniture stores and the like.

Health permits...business license...city restrictions and the vast large chain stores are the biggest competitors.

Besides where would a person get their bread to deliver/sell in the first place knowing the Grocery and Bread trade after spending 23 yrs in the Grocery field.

Steve

Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
the pepperidge farm routes use to sell in maine, and having known a couple drivers-(yrs go) they did very well!
pepperidge farm is a unique line.

If i were researching this, id ask to job shadow for a few days (the person selling the route) get the sales trends in each account, and profit, also ask for the details- if the bread doesnt sell- do you give full credit? also- if there is a bread outlet store-what can you sell to them (cost, for shrink recovery)

it's a competitive business, you need display area to sell product, but sometimes the space sells to the highest bidder at the corporate office. (chain stores)

Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
wouldn't it be nice to have the old days back when staples (bread, milk, eggs) were delivered fresh to your door?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:01 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Sounds like a good idea...but , hard to do , when no ones home ! Theses days everyone works. Used to be Mom and Grandma were captive, no car ( or was not allowed to drive ), so , if they needed somthing , it had to come to them ( other than the once a week trip to town ). I remember all the vendors , from Fuller Brush,Omar the bread man,Watkins Products, many more I have forgotten.
On the Farm ,eggs and milk was never a problem, we had our own,fresh too ! Things change. probly the biggest change was the Advent of the large Super Market chains expanding their market areas , and along with ,all the private label stuff they sold. Its all about volume. bread is all made in same factory 400 miles away , just has different lables on wraper. ....I had a bread route , 400 miles a nite ,supplying private label to super Market chain. I was hired by the Bakery . They were cheap scates !Long hours,and miles 5 nites a week. I lasted 3 or 4 years , then sold the route to my Dad ,...it killed him eventually. Sad ending of the Faimly bread route business. Fun while it lasted sometimes. We had different routs over the years , always private label stuff. never stocked a shelf...thats the Stores job. We were just truckers, getting the product to the store ontime , before it opened for business.....Today , we buy our bread from a local speciality baker , the Farmers market , Coop store , and sometimes if desperate the Super Market....things change , so do people.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 14,523 times
i am interested in buyin a bread route, i need some tips, how much does it cost, insurance, gas, e.t.c.?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredyaragon View Post
i am interested in buyin a bread route, i need some tips, how much does it cost, insurance, gas, e.t.c.?
Don't buy any thing. Blue sky often turns gray, even black. Buying a job is generally not a good idea, and a bread route is no exception. Customers are the only asset, a fleeting commodity, the product gets stale over night, always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business