U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,499,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have 21 people using Windows 8 in my office and I use it myself on one of my laptops. It's not much different than Windows 7 and allows you to do anything Windows 7 does. It DOES have that (formerly knowns as) Metro UI.... but you don't need to use those apps. You can dumb down Metro to be a start menu (which is much more efficient than Windows 7 start menu).

Having to learn a newer thing has always been an issue for people.
I'm glad to hear this. All I know is from what I saw in the demo and they didn't bother mentioning this at all. Very stupid of them, since many people will be poorly informed and believe (as I did) that all you had to navigate was the Metro UI.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:45 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,546,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As a business owner, the LAST thing I would want is to be dependant upon internet access to run my business. Depending on an undependable third party I as begging for disaster. In Springfield both Mediacom and AT&T have experienced multi-day outages in the past few months. I cannot afford the luxury of internet access that works intermittently. Anyone who relies on cloud services to run their business is a fool.

20yrsinBranson
Thanks! I so agree.

I actually use windows because:
1. It comes on all the computers I buy...and I unfortunately had to buy new computers.
2. A lot of people use Word, Excel etc, and in order to exchange files, I need these applications.

There used to be a free Windows-compatible version of MS office for Linux (remember StarOffice?), but I think Microsoft bought it. I really like Bill Gates, but I am disappointed w/ the excessive changes in Windows. I don't anticipate Windows 8 being conducive to business continuity.

Why should you have to continually retrain users how to use something as basic as a word-processing system? Why waste time converting files or searching for a menu? Normally a company is not in business to create Word documents, so I think the changes are a distraction for businesses.

It would be cheaper for businesses to use Linux for day-to-day operations, but there's the compatibility issue. If a government client sends you a .docx...you are going to need to open it. (Actually you can convert .docx online...but I digress).

Sorry I'm rambling...but OP...I agree w/ your sentiment. Being forced to upgrade and relearn/retrain something as basic as a PC operating system is a distraction for a business.

I suspect the changes put Microsoft in a stronger position since it is more difficult to steal their software and products to make competing products...but as a user, I think it sucks.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM

22,109 posts, read 15,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Many years ago Microsoft wanted to hire only people who had not worked elsewhere - were fresh out of college, etc. That was so they could teach them the "Microsoft way", etc.

Well I think having all those employees who are "out of touch" with the real world is coming back to haunt them. They don't listen to their customers. And never seem to do anything about things many many people complain about. And they remove / change things which people have spent a lot of time learning and have come to depend on, with NO regard for those people. Quote: "You will get used to it" is what one of these Microsoft people said about one such change!
Nice summary.

Touching base....

Mircea

Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM

22,109 posts, read 15,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Having to learn a newer thing has always been an issue for people.
Yeah, well, not everyone has 2,000 hours of spare time to invest in learning a new system which will be replaced 2 1/2 years after you learn it just because Gates is an ass-tard.

Pedagogically...

Mircea

Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 15,964,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not a business owner, but I buy and deal with a lot of computers and software. Windows seven has been a difficult OS, because of all the patches needed for adaptive software. XP was much better. I am not pleased about Windows Eight.
A lot of corporate America is still using XP.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM

16,162 posts, read 19,053,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
There used to be a free Windows-compatible version of MS office for Linux (remember StarOffice?), but I think Microsoft bought it.
OpenOffice, and Oracle bought it. It's still out there, and it's still free, but it's not as compatible as people say. Docs open ok, but there are some issues, most noticeably in my limited experience is the formatting in Word docs. We had some problems with that and went with MS Office because of it.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:38 AM

26,347 posts, read 33,449,195 times
I tend to think of Windows 8 as a version of Vista. In that it isn't that great. XP was one of the better platforms IMO. I also like Windows 7.

ISP reliablity isn't always a measure of a platform. When you can look at somethin on your office computer, then access the same thing at home (which I was doing 7 years ago with logmein) the ability to look at it from a tablet or smart phone is nice... when it works.

When it doesn't work... Then it is a huge boat anchor.

At first blush I am not impressed or interested. However, I might rethink things.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
This all seems more like whining about change than any actual justified complaints about Windows 8 (of which there are plenty). On top of that, it's mostly just arguing from a position of total ignorance of the product.

It's not totally unlike the criticism of the ribbon interface, which made it much easier to get things done without having to dig through dozens of menu options and multi-tabbed windows. Discoverability was a huge problem for Office, so they took measures to make things better, and they did. Unfortunately some people are still trapped in the past and unable to move on to software that is easier to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, well, not everyone has 2,000 hours of spare time to invest in learning a new system which will be replaced 2 1/2 years after you learn it just because Gates is an ass-tard.

Pedagogically...

Mircea
2000 hours invested learning how to navigate the start screen? Seems a bit absurd to me.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,890,338 times
Well the president of Microsoft Windows Division is going bye bye!

Quote "By his detractors, Mr. Sinofsky was seen as territorial and often unwilling to cooperate with other divisions."

Well in my opinion, keeping a "user interface" which other people prefer / like (Windows XP) would be done by someone who gets along with other people - consults with customers (people) about what they prefer, etc.

I think Microsoft would be well advised to have people in charge who can work with others and give their customers what THEY WANT!

For some that would be to bring back XP. For others that might be ribbons, etc. And for Microsoft that would mean offering BOTH products. People could choose whichever they prefer. (Like I said above, Coke Classic, New Coke, Cherry Coke, etc.)

The story...
The Leader of Windows Exits Microsoft - NYTimes.com

Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM

310 posts, read 863,541 times
Windows 8 is windows 7 with a new start menu interface.

If you haven't tried windows 8, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I was skeptical until I actually demoed it hands on. It's really phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or