Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, well, not everyone has 2,000 hours of spare time to invest in learning a new system which will be replaced 2 1/2 years after you learn it just because Gates is an ass-tard.

Pedagogically...

Mircea
The Start Menu was around from 1995 to 2012. If that's 2 years to you, then you probably shouldn't be running a business. A lot of business owners are not willing to invest time in increasing productivity. You're not alone in that aspect. But if it takes you 2000 hours to learn how to understand a new icon layout, you might have other issues to worry about.

You might as well be a murderer if you think the Gates, who is devoting all his time and money to curing deadly diseases in third-world nations is an "ass-tard". And what does he have to do with this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM

155 posts, read 244,347 times
I've been using 8 for a month now. It's just ok. Not great, not terrible. It's really designed for tablets. Pretty much just MS following suite with Android and Apple with their own version of an "app store." (I've found a few very popular apps that simply don't work at all.)
Otherwise this is just Windows 7 with a new start button and an app store.
I agree that this doesn't seem business friendly. In fact, sometimes the "start" panel seems kind of childish.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Relax, it's all going to be in the cloud soon. Why would you want to maintain all that technology on an individual device?
One word. "Control". Back in the 1970's when big main frames processed all the data, the users had terminals to access there data, but they really didn't control there data, the geeks that ran the mainframes did. Once personal computers because more powerful there was a major shift in the IT world where the users demanded more control over there data. Now they are pushing this this "Cloud" computing, and while it may benefit some organizations, it's really the same thing as the mainframe model from years ago. I really don't see it happening on a large scale. There are certainly some benefits, like centrally managed applications and operating systems would be less likely to get viruses, and if they do, you just need to worry about cleaning a few servers, rather then 10,000 desktops, but there are liabilities too, if the network is down, your entire organization is down too.

I really don't see this happening on a large scale, especially when the cost of storing data locally, is far cheaper than storing it on the cloud.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

They may put it on their personal computer, but at work you are going to see Win 7 and XP for a long time to come.
I'm just now starting to consider upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows XP, and that's only because a few new programs that were recently released are only available in Windows 7 Versions, Not XP. Which is a bone head move in my opinion, 21% of the PC world still uses Windows XP, by not supporting it, your eliminating 1 potential customer in 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
If you haven't tried windows 8, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I was skeptical until I actually demoed it hands on. It's really phenomenal.
I'm not going to throw my car out every time Ford or Honda releases a "New and Improved" model. Windows XP has worked fine for me so far despite the release of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. It's only an obsolete operating system when it doesn't do what you need it to, not when some sales person tells you it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business