Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,091 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm sitting here thinking, browsing this Business & Finance forum - great stuff

I have a wealth of experience under my belt and I've been seriously thinking about just starting up a small business which will allow me to work from home and spend more time with my daughter with minimal commute. Problem is, I need ideas on what sort of business to start. So I'm hoping that people here in the forum will be able to throw some ideas my way, based upon my experience.

Project Administrator
Assist Project Manager/Project Engineers in the production of the Monthly Report.
Assist Project Manager/Project Engineer in the Documentation of Punch listing process.
Gather and input daily reports utilizing Pro Log software system.
Coordinate reproduction of contract documents and submittals as required.
Implementation and maintenance of project filing system.
Assist and coordinate the requirements for project celebrations and project wide luncheons.
Responsible for coordinating weekly sub-contractor, owner, and MEP meetings.
Responsible for ensuring all Certificate of Insurance paperwork is current.

Paralegal
Sole paralegal for fast paced small firm handling criminal, family, and civil matters.
Responsible for all client contact, including interviews, communications, and maintaining files and documents.
Drafted all legal pleadings, settlement agreements, and discover requests/responses.
Utilized legal software programs Amicus Attorney and Westlaw.
Calculated child support guidelines by identifying allowable income and deductions.
Active in all stages of case settlement negotiations.
Identified witnesses, including interviewing, scheduling, and preparing for depositions.
Scheduled and coordinated all hearings, mediations, and appointments.
Responsible for all office management duties.
Responsible for all marketing, including maintaining client database, mass mailings, and various marketing strategies.

Executive Assistant to President
Coordinated all personal appearances, performances and press interviews.
Coordinated press events and all travel arrangements for incoming guests, including but not limited to flights, hotel, and ground transportation.
Negotiated all performance contracts.
Coordinated all travel arrangements for President, employees of company, and recording artists.
Coordinated all special events including but not limited to travel arrangements for all incoming celebrities. Supervised a staff of 25 people, collected, reviewed, and summarized all weekly departmental reports.
Performed various administrative duties, including but not limited to phone calls, memorandums, and scheduling meetings.

Tour Manager & Exec. Asst. to Director Of Sales
Solicited and negotiated rates for international tour operators.
Maintained and coordinated hotel accommodations and meals for all tour operators.
Created and maintained a database of over 300 tour operators worldwide.
Negotiated contracts and rates for potential tour operators.
Created and implemented meal voucher program for all hotel group accounts.
Coordinated weekly sales staff meetings as well as prepared monthly reports for Sales Department.
Performed various administrative duties.

SKILLS
Microsoft Word, XP; Amicus Attorney Software; Westlaw; Microsoft Works; Spreadsheet; WordPerfect; Quicken; Excel; LandTech real estate software (some experience); Internet; 10 key calculator; Dictaphone; and Microsoft Database
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 AM

369 posts, read 1,956,990 times
I think I have read about a position called a Virtual Assistant. You would do all of the things an assistant does, but from home. I am not sure how it works, but search on it and see what comes up. I think there is also something called a Virtual Concierge and that may be something as well. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Okay so I'm sitting here thinking, browsing this Business & Finance forum - great stuff

I have a wealth of experience under my belt and I've been seriously thinking about just starting up a small business which will allow me to work from home and spend more time with my daughter with minimal commute. Problem is, I need ideas on what sort of business to start. So I'm hoping that people here in the forum will be able to throw some ideas my way, based upon my experience.

Project Administrator
Assist Project Manager/Project Engineers in the production of the Monthly Report.
Assist Project Manager/Project Engineer in the Documentation of Punch listing process.
Gather and input daily reports utilizing Pro Log software system.
Coordinate reproduction of contract documents and submittals as required.
Implementation and maintenance of project filing system.
Assist and coordinate the requirements for project celebrations and project wide luncheons.
Responsible for coordinating weekly sub-contractor, owner, and MEP meetings.
Responsible for ensuring all Certificate of Insurance paperwork is current.

Paralegal
Sole paralegal for fast paced small firm handling criminal, family, and civil matters.
Responsible for all client contact, including interviews, communications, and maintaining files and documents.
Drafted all legal pleadings, settlement agreements, and discover requests/responses.
Utilized legal software programs Amicus Attorney and Westlaw.
Calculated child support guidelines by identifying allowable income and deductions.
Active in all stages of case settlement negotiations.
Identified witnesses, including interviewing, scheduling, and preparing for depositions.
Scheduled and coordinated all hearings, mediations, and appointments.
Responsible for all office management duties.
Responsible for all marketing, including maintaining client database, mass mailings, and various marketing strategies.

Executive Assistant to President
Coordinated all personal appearances, performances and press interviews.
Coordinated press events and all travel arrangements for incoming guests, including but not limited to flights, hotel, and ground transportation.
Negotiated all performance contracts.
Coordinated all travel arrangements for President, employees of company, and recording artists.
Coordinated all special events including but not limited to travel arrangements for all incoming celebrities. Supervised a staff of 25 people, collected, reviewed, and summarized all weekly departmental reports.
Performed various administrative duties, including but not limited to phone calls, memorandums, and scheduling meetings.

Maintained and coordinated hotel accommodations and meals for all tour operators.
Coordinated weekly sales staff meetings as well as prepared monthly reports for Sales Department.

SKILLS
Microsoft Word, XP; Amicus Attorney Software; Westlaw; Microsoft Works; Spreadsheet; WordPerfect; Quicken; Excel; LandTech real estate software (some experience); Internet; 10 key calculator; Dictaphone; and Microsoft Database
Why don't you just get a job in one of these areas that allow you to work from home. Are you married or single? If you are single and this is your primary income, I think you are better of working for someone else. I work for myself and believe me, the up and downs and the hours I have to work sometimes are not for everyone. Plenty of jobs let you work from home nowadays. You could work at home 3 days a week and put your daughter in daycare the other two. At least you would have a stable income, health insurance, and stability.

Greenie

Old 10-14-2007, 12:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,091 times
Oh no Green, I'm married and I am working currently. I also have my management company on the side (handling various musical artists business mgmt. issues/contracts/appearances, etc.) so believe me I do know how daunting owning your own business can be

With that being said, I'm working in a new field full time which is good, however, it's not satisfying. I would love to go back with an attorney but the majority of them are located downtown and I'm not interested in commuting (it's a nightmare in this city to commute). In addition, I'm not the type of person who can just work at a job for a check - which is what i'm doing right now. I need to enjoy what I'm doing (I've always been like that).

I don't know, I'm all over the place right now, it seems

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,378,770 times
Quote:
I don't know, I'm all over the place right now, it seems
Any thoughts at all about what sort of business you'd like to start? You've listed a lot of great skills, but I don't get a sense that you've got a clear idea of what sort of business you want to do. If you are going to work as a contractor, that means having more than one client. Is there any field that interests you? Is there any work that you really enjoy?

Greenie

Last edited by GreenMachine; 10-15-2007 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,556,566 times
Quote:
This sounds like a job that might be doable from home, or a variation of it. An awful lot of people book trips and travel arrangements on line. They are already of the mindset that it isn't necessary to go to an office to conduct this type of business. Why not take advantage of that?

Looks to me like you've already got the connections you just need to connect them with clients. AAA might allow you work at home.

How about the Tour Operators? The ones you did all that scheduling for probably don't care where you are, just that you get the work done. It's obvious you can, and they already know you can... so????

Even if you don't do exactly what you did as a Tour Manager, isn't there a way to leverage those connections? If you are contractually bound to not work for them do they know other operators, hotels, etc that you can work with?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,128,604 times
check to see if your locality permits home businesses. Usually everyone just ignores it and don't pay any attention, but if it's something that causes clients to come see you so that there is an increased parking problem........you can bet someone will complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business