U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 32,366,695 times

Advertisements

its simply a matter of how hard it will be to replace her. most of the low pay labor out there is garbage. you sift through a bunch of junk just to get a decent person. i have a larger staff, so sometimes you have to can a good employee for such reasons because it makes for a bad example. however, if she is your only employee you dont really have to worry about that. so its all about whether or not she is worth putting up with her crap.

you will probably get stuck with an unemployment claim if you get rid of her. you can try documenting the missed days and maybe some written warnings but you would probably still lose the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM

929 posts, read 1,928,325 times
Default Hiring 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its simply a matter of how hard it will be to replace her. most of the low pay labor out there is garbage. you sift through a bunch of junk just to get a decent person. i have a larger staff, so sometimes you have to can a good employee for such reasons because it makes for a bad example. however, if she is your only employee you dont really have to worry about that. so its all about whether or not she is worth putting up with her crap.

you will probably get stuck with an unemployment claim if you get rid of her. you can try documenting the missed days and maybe some written warnings but you would probably still lose the case.

I disagree that most of the low wage labor is garbage. The problem is with the person responsible for hiring employees. Most do not do a very good job of hiring good employees. It takes time and hard work and checking and double checking. The labor is out there, you just have to do the hard work to find the right fit for the job. The real issue is what do you do to keep a great employee from jumping ship. The simple answer is you must pay them to keep them. If you are not willling to do that, then you are wasting your time.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,120,485 times
Personally, she sees your husband as an easy mark. And will manipulate this situation. She will call in at will. Because there are no consequences. Is she attractive? Be careful here...the fact that your spouse wants to cut her slack is interesting.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 32,366,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
I disagree that most of the low wage labor is garbage. The problem is with the person responsible for hiring employees. Most do not do a very good job of hiring good employees. It takes time and hard work and checking and double checking. The labor is out there, you just have to do the hard work to find the right fit for the job. The real issue is what do you do to keep a great employee from jumping ship. The simple answer is you must pay them to keep them. If you are not willling to do that, then you are wasting your time.
it takes time and hard work because you are sifting through a lot of garbage. then after you find someone good, you find out they are pregnant, have child care problems, sick kids, transportation issues, etc. etc. sometimes you are lucky and get a good one from your first choice after only a few interviews, but a lot of times it doesnt work out so well.

im just wondering, do you hire people?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM

5,488 posts, read 22,097,332 times
I just used to fire people when their behavior impacted operations... it is especially an issue in a small operation where there is little or no backup. I had to explain myself a couple of times but never had to change my decision.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,151,659 times
She is part time and only showing up part time. Not acceptable to me. I would give her a warning and go from there.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM

18,518 posts, read 19,330,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My husband and I own a small business and we have a young person who works part time for us. She is a very nice, very bright 19 year old who works very hard and does a wonderful job when she is here. The problem is that she is absent from work about one day every three weeks for a myriad of reasons. Sometimes she has a "migraine" and sometimes she has an urinary tract infection. Once in a while she has to take her mother to or pick up her brother from the doctor. Since she started working here last spring she has had 4 - 5 colds or other bouts of being sickness where she had to call in and stay home.

She parties pretty hard and I suspect that some of the "illnesses" is due to being hung over or just feeling bad from staying up too late. My philosophy is that if you have a job, you go to work. Period. End of sentence. And if you aren't sick enough for the emergency room, you better be at work.

My husband, on the other hand, cuts her slack every time. In fact, she has come to work "sick" and he has sent her home. When she comes to work "sick" on my watch, I make her work and in two or three hours she is fine and doesn't complain (or groan or whine) any more. I do this because I think she is just slacking, and so far that hypothesis has proven right.

I am really sick of this and I would like to give her an ultimatum to shape up or she will have to ship out. My husband, on the other hand, feels that this is unreasonable. He says that people do get sick. Yes, they do. But some of this sickness is the aforementioned hang over, and I do not agree that being hung over is a reasonable excuse. And yes, I have been hung over once or twice in my life, and I went to work.

What are your thoughts?

20yrsinBranson
Yes, one absence per three weeks seems quit high. Perhaps, one day every six to eight weeks for someone working fulltime five days a week. Many part times rarely need to take off esp. for errands such as driving Mom to the doctor. Perhaps requiring a doctors note for each illness will do the trick. If you are sick enough to be home you are sick enough to go to a walk-in clinic to get a note.

She is conning your husband. I especially noted your observation that if she comes to work "sick" she can work her full shift when you are in charge.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,336 posts, read 58,942,406 times
A small business with only a handful of employees needs them to show up. I had from 1-4 over a 16 year period and couldn't have gotten the work done to meet customer deadlines with people taking too much time off, though that was never a problem. I did have one that showed up late the first 3 days, she didn't have a 4th.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,910,699 times
OP, do you think it would be easy or hard to replace her? You said when she is there she is a very good worker. At the very least I would sit her down and tell her how you feel about these absences and that it could jeopardize her employment with you.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,354,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hourly or salary? If salary, fire her. If hourly, cut her hours in half and hire a second part-timer for the other half, one who would also be willing to come in when she is sick. Once the second one is trained, if the original employee has continued with "sick", ease her out or fire her outright.
I agree with this. 1 day every 3 weeks is WAY too often. In over 15 years of work I've called in 3 times. Once because of really bad food poisoning, the other two because of severely sprained ankles that left me physically unable to walk and unable to do my job (which requires a lot of walking). When I do call in my boss asks no questions, she knows that if I call in that I have a very good reason, I've earned that trust. Granted I very rarely get sick and when I do it's usually very mild, so if someone is legitimately sick, which usually happens maybe twice a year on average, fine. But aside from suffering from some legitimate chronic condition there's no excuse for calling in that much. This employee is taking advantage of you. If she has coworkers, she's screwing them by calling in all the time and forcing them to pick up the slack for her laziness and lack of work ethic.

I've gone to work hungover, I've gone to work tired from being up all night writing papers for school, I've gone to work when I really didn't want to far too many times to count. Not wanting to work is not a legitimate reason to call in, nor is being hungover, tired, having an upset stomach, a hangnail, wanting to watch movies instead, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business