Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

I won't watch anything from Fox. They have been bought and paid for. They only relay the news that they are told to.

I want all sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I won't watch anything from Fox. They have been bought and paid for. They only relay the news that they are told to.

I want all sides.
I would think you have to watch a variety of programs to get all sides.

I find that all networks have a bias and you have to carefully observe all in an attempt to get the facts and even then it is difficult.

As soon as you eliminate a viewpoint you are censoring yourself and maybe missing the whole picture.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Believe me your not missing anything at all with FBN. It's an even bigger joke than their so-called "news" channel.

It's great that CNBC seems to be showing more and more global financial related stuff. I really wish they would get over their love affair with Donald Trump though, that guy is such a bozo. ...And Donny Deutsch, don't really get that at all.
Need we mention Carly Fiorina's 'expert' advice.... where do they drum these folks up at?, the local unemployment (has-been) office?

Seems they feel the need for 'spin-doctors' and 'shills'.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
So far I am very disappointed in the so called anchors and some really stupid content for a Business channel.
I watch other Fox programs and for the most part well done.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I lost interest in CNBC and other "business news" programs years ago. They're all the same. There could be alot of interesting, quality programming on.

We're certainly living in the age for it. You could start a small business for nothing online. You've got a wide variety of businesses and possible programming.

But it's all the same rah rah..

-They are always hyper bullish on stocks. CNBC is the worlds biggest commercial for stocks. There's never any historical context at all on tv with the market or stocks. Shock...companies do go out of business, they aren't invicible. Cramer and all these guys are in this cult of stock performance.

-Alot of it is so simplistic and glossy. Trump, Suze Orman. Trump was born into alot of money, thats never explained on tv.

It's a shame there isn't more on real investors, like Buffett, John Templeton, or Ben Graham. Jim Rogers is a brilliant mind, but he's always relegated to being just another talking head. To say nothing of the conflicts of interest or self serving nature of alot of guests and "experts".

I would never listen to a show to make money. You're much better off reading or coming to your own conclusions.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Need we mention Carly Fiorina's 'expert' advice.... where do they drum these folks up at?, the local unemployment (has-been) office?

Seems they feel the need for 'spin-doctors' and 'shills'.
Oh lord I forgot about that...WOW...That is pretty pitful. has-been is right.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I lost interest in CNBC and other "business news" programs years ago. They're all the same. There could be alot of interesting, quality programming on.

We're certainly living in the age for it. You could start a small business for nothing online. You've got a wide variety of businesses and possible programming.

But it's all the same rah rah..

-They are always hyper bullish on stocks. CNBC is the worlds biggest commercial for stocks. There's never any historical context at all on tv with the market or stocks. Shock...companies do go out of business, they aren't invicible. Cramer and all these guys are in this cult of stock performance.

-Alot of it is so simplistic and glossy. Trump, Suze Orman. Trump was born into alot of money, thats never explained on tv.

It's a shame there isn't more on real investors, like Buffett, John Templeton, or Ben Graham. Jim Rogers is a brilliant mind, but he's always relegated to being just another talking head. To say nothing of the conflicts of interest or self serving nature of alot of guests and "experts".

I would never listen to a show to make money. You're much better off reading or coming to your own conclusions.
Good points. That's one of the reasons I am so disappointed in Fox Biz. I thought maybe with competition it might shake things up a little at CNBC, I agree 100% w/what your saying. They get some real competition, no more Donald 'Combover from hell' Trump lovefests...no more rah rah rah all day every day...it would make them get some better programming, but it doesn't appear that will happen with what a joke FBN is thus far.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Good points. That's one of the reasons I am so disappointed in Fox Biz. I thought maybe with competition it might shake things up a little at CNBC, I agree 100% w/what your saying. They get some real competition, no more Donald 'Combover from hell' Trump lovefests...no more rah rah rah all day every day...it would make them get some better programming, but it doesn't appear that will happen with what a joke FBN is thus far.
CNBC and those guys just seem to exist in their own reality. Companies always "go up". Companies always grow 10-15% a year. EPS goes up nice and smooth every quarter, never deviating.

Yet in reality, places go out of business all the time. Trends change. Malls, department stores, retailers, k mart, good guys, toy stores. If you took alot of these "experts" out of the studio and into a mall and asked them to invest for the next 5-10 years, I don't think they'd be so bullish.

The Trump Love fest....I dont know. I guess its a case of otherwise dull reporting, getting spiced up the Trump Luxury. If he invites you to Trump Tower or on his helicopter, with his model wife....how do you say no? And being based in new york where all the media is, and he's so media hungry, it works perfectly.

There was a great Charlie Rose interview of Buffett last year. When he was giving away his fortune to the Gates Foundation. That's quality business programming. It was a very interesting look at his life, berkshire, how he makes decision.

Buffett was interviewed by CNBC a few weeks ago, in the credit crisis and they asked him about the fed decision...and he just laughed at. They're so caught up in the rah, rah minute to minute movements....its like a big party with a spiked punchbowl.

Maria Bartiromo keeps our attention though

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
OK, I have now had time to watch Fox Business at various times over several weeks to get a feel for it. In a word... miserable. The talking heads simply do not have a good grasp of world markets and the guests have been little better.

As much as I dislike much of what CNBC does they sure look good compared to Fox. I actually wind up watching Bloomberg quite often.

And it really hacks me off that they seem to have invented a new index called the Fox50 and now report on it in some of their news sometimes replacing the S&P500. That has run me off from their news reporting because I want the S&P and could care about some silly Fox index.

FBN does not look as good as some high school productions.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
w/o cable or HS internet I'm stuck with NPR for my financial news... now how to convince them to stop reporting only the DOW and drop in the S&P or something more relevant once in awhile.

Yeah, the Fox50 would be something to steer clear of !

The S&P is trading at some pretty attractive numbers today, (If there are any with bullish sediment amongst us) My International stuff is floating the boat at the moment, still 10-14% above 200 DMA. But anything could happen ... I'm still eating, just a little less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business