Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A wise person who was in business and near going broke (situation like Boeing's above) said "You have not been in business until you have NOT made a payroll!" (Didn't have the money to pay the employees.)
Been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstop View Post
I will tell you what I think. Working is over rated. I will never work again and I will never retire.

What I do for a living is fun. It aint work. The day it becomes work , is the day i find something else to do.

This is the biggest lie society tells you. You become a debt slave to all your possessions and lifestyle which propels us to work at jobs we hate.

The day we are willing to be broke , on food stamps and happy, is the day we are free to pursue what we really want to do.
I agree. My mom and sister keep tying to find me gubmint desk jobs. No thanks. I do what I do for about 6.5 months this passed year. My bills are paid and I screw off when I'm not working. I'm happy and I pay $450 for a 2/1 725 square foot apartment nearish to a beach. If it is a given that I have to put a roof over my head for a certain cost, then I am not regretting not paying for a house.

I don't know if I'd be happy being on food stamps, but I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 12,692 times
If you've got the itch to start a business at age 32 then you will spend the rest of your life wondering "what if I Did start that business".

Start making plans to do what you really want. Do you really want to work for someone for the next 30 yrs?

Entrepreneurship is about building a business that will allow you to be able to do the things you really want to do. I am self employed and while my employees are out working I have several hours per day of free time to do what I wish.

Im not saying its easy, and it has taken me many years to get to this point but as long as you know there can be a light at the end of the tunnel it makes it alot easier to hike up that mountain!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Balance the here and now vs. the future. Remember that adventure doesn't always have to cost a lot of money, and be flexible. My brother and I drove around the U.S. in an MGB back in the early 1960s. I've never regretted that, and we did it for just under $1,000 total. We saw more places, had a great time camping, and were in the fresh air more than on any other journey I've taken.

I've held a variety of jobs, have my own business, and have had more life experience than 90% of people in the U.S. What price do you put on a variety of experience? OTOH, retirement is going to be troublesome, primarily for one unexpected reason, the insane health care system in this country, which will bankrupt more people than the housing crisis. Some things you can't prep for. When a hospital wants to charge over $800 (discounted by insurance) for FOUR x-rays, and a major illness could be in the three figure range, it pays to go ahead and spend your money on travel early, because you ain't going to have it anyway when you get older.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
At the age of ten, I was diagnosed with scoliosis which required hospitalization, a body cast, and major surgery, My one brother hasa severely autistic son. And recognizing that many of these issues might be herdetiary, I long ago opted never to consider children -- that decision cost me a chance with a very fine woman a few years later.

But I need the stimulation of a job -- full-time or otherwise, I've developed a large network of friends, and some of them have to struggle a lot more than I did. I've also got a couple of nephews "by proxy". I've done well enough that i could probably pursue a life of mild hedonism -- revolving entirely around personal desires -- a few years from now, but even without considering the prosepct of an unpleasant (and expensive) suprise later on, that seems a pretty empty way to live, whether one is guided by religious values or not.

So I'm hoping to segue int some sort of "second-gear" employment situation, and pick up some volunteer work suitable to my knowledge and background. Hopefully, that will keep life interesting for a few years beyond the norm, and maybe a few more positive memories when the time comes to go to the "Cadillac Ranch".

And that is eonugh; You can't leave a poisitive legacy without some recognition of the need for security, even if it's not directly your own.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-09-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Hi all,
I'm kind of having a mini crisis. I have a very cushy job. Pays well. I'll probably retire at 60, maybe earlier thanks to my pension. I'm 32 right now, no kids. I'm thinking of starting my own business. I know I can fail, but isn't life itself risky? If no one gets out alive, then why do we all spend so much time and energy trying to live a safe and stable life when, at the end of the day, we all will die anyways. Is it no difference whether one lives to 30 than to 100? Is it not better to live a life of adventure than a life huddled in the corner? I sit here and look out my office window and see hordes of people walking downtown. They all look the same. Every woman is holding coffee and every guy has the same black jacket. They all walk the same way. When I would fly my little airplane 1000ft above ground and look down at the cars, they all looked the same. I felt free knowing I was the only one in the sky and did not look the same as them.

If we dont' get out alive, shouldn't we then ask for adventure rather than security?
whats your point?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Hi all,
I'm kind of having a mini crisis. I have a very cushy job. Pays well. I'll probably retire at 60, maybe earlier thanks to my pension. I'm 32 right now, no kids. I'm thinking of starting my own business. I know I can fail, but isn't life itself risky? If no one gets out alive, then why do we all spend so much time and energy trying to live a safe and stable life when, at the end of the day, we all will die anyways. Is it no difference whether one lives to 30 than to 100? Is it not better to live a life of adventure than a life huddled in the corner? I sit here and look out my office window and see hordes of people walking downtown. They all look the same. Every woman is holding coffee and every guy has the same black jacket. They all walk the same way. When I would fly my little airplane 1000ft above ground and look down at the cars, they all looked the same. I felt free knowing I was the only one in the sky and did not look the same as them.

If we dont' get out alive, shouldn't we then ask for adventure rather than security?
I've flown in planes many times, so haha. Actually, you should go start a rock band. Now that's what I call living it up.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Millions upon millions of Americans would love to have a secure job, even a boring one. Surely if you think you can start a business, go ahead. But remember that most fail within a few years.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,434 times
Dying at 30 versus dying at 100 is DRASTICALLY different. If you thought you've seen the world and done everything you can at 30, you're dead wrong. Case in point - one of my co-worker's son and his bride got married and went to their honeymoon in Hawaii. Both are very adventurous and went paragliding. A horrific accident happened where one of the cords pulling them were caught somehow and the bride died instantly upon impact and the groom was paralyzed from the waist down. My co-worker was completely distraught and everyone was in shock when we heard of the news.

There's a reason why most of us stay safe and carry that Starbucks cup in one hand and wear the same jacket. It's a proven method to not die at a young age so we can make love, get married, have kids, have grand-kids and travel the world over and not die at 24 while paragliding.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Nice little Philosophy 101 question.

Don't outlive your money. Otherwise your children get to choose your retirement home, because they'll be paying for it.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:

Yes, but I am a person who nearly always chooses adventure over security. Not everyone thinks that way. Maybe few people think that way. I have a very low need for security (which can be risky). I had a childhood with very little security, so maybe that influenced my outlook - who knows.

Several years ago, I was also sitting in a cushy corporate job but I felt completely trapped, even though the work was challenging, I enjoyed my co-workers, etc. But I really wanted something else - maybe it was more adventure, creativity, control. I have always led an adventurous life, enjoyed dangerous sports (scuba, extreme skiing, etc.) lived in exotic locales, etc... I have never worried about dying at 30 or 100 - just living fully in the moment. You have no idea what the future holds.

Long story short, I walked away from the cushy job and started my own business. I have weathered severe economic downturn, near bankruptcy, employee crisis, bank financing games, making payroll, major customer collections, legal actions, etc.. etc.. etc... Every day seems to be an unpredictable adventure... and that's how I like it. This is one of the coolest adventures I've ever been on. While some could get sick from the stress, it does not really stress me out at all. I was more stressed out feeling stuck in a stable, secure well-paying job at a great company - which probably makes very little sense to most sane people in this world. But I have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-16-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business